Crazy recruiting stats

Watkins was an anomaly. So was CJ Spiller. We also got the odd 5* in those days and overall out recruited Clemson until about 3-4 years ago. They've been recruiting at a high higher level since 2016 when they won the championship.

What you're talking about is evaluation and development, not stacking 5*s.
I have always thought even before Clemson's first title run in 2016 that they recruited better then us for a good while. I doubt it was after that but from what I always understood if my memory serves me right they had better top top heavy classes.

Advertisement
Do you have some sort of bat signal you get that there's a thread you haven't **** on yet and you better get to your computer stat?
Nah I just randomly pop up and see some insane **** I have to reply about....it's like a really itchy mosquito bite that i have to scratch.

If I'm looking at indicators, I see bigger gaps in support staff and coordinator $. Those are the "quiet" attributes of a program that punches above its weight, wins the games it should, shows itself as a place for talent development, and ultimately wins more 5* recruiting battles. Of course, bigtime talent then begets more winning.
Are you suggesting that having 63 "analysts" on staff who used to be coaches might present an advantage?

Advertisement
Two points I want to make and these have already been touched on by a couple other posters but here’s my take. The recruiting services are more well staffed than ever. There’s far fewer diamonds in the rough that go ignored now. Especially in a recruiting hotbed like south Florida. Those old “south Florida 3 stars” are getting their fourth star now.

Secondly, VOLUME is the key. You can’t just sign a couple of blue chips and expect them all to produce at a top level. Development is the biggest myth in college football. There’s no special coaching technique that certain schools use to make their players improve at a higher rate. The schools that have the most productive blue chip players sign the most blue chip recruits. Nobody has more blue chip busts than Alabama. Their bench is full of 4 and 5 star guys. It doesn’t matter because they sign so many, they don’t need every single blue chip to be a superstar. If you want to be a playoff team and compete with Bama, Clemson, OSU and UGA, you need to start signing players at or near their level. You can’t just have a top ten class sprinkled in every few years with a bunch of classes ranked in the 20’s.

Also, just for measure, Miami has one guy who was 5 star composite coming out of high school, Phillips. He was downgraded to 4 stars when he transferred. Nobody else on the team is an actual 5 star recruit:

They’re right on the doorstep of those top three programs in my opinion. There’s a big gap beteeen Georgia and whoever the #5 team is
Yeah, either lsu or okla or usc and texas! I mean this class and 22' class we could creep into da top ten
Except Georgia lacks talent at the most important position on the field and it's holding them back.
I think they have talent! Jt daniels, carson beck, dwan mathis, next year vandergriff! But, how did a former walk on win da job? That's the question that needs to ne answered.

Not this sht again.
It’s a umbers game not a development issue.
Everyone makes it seem like all those playoff team 5 stars are nfl draft picks and nothing can be further from the truth.
The 5 stars or blue chip 4 stars that don't make the league at osu and Bama we don’t hear about cause dudes like jeudy and Fitzpatrick and Chase Young get picked first round.
And news flash!! not every 5 star on those teams is a day one pick even if they do make the nfl.
But we get a few blue chippers here and there and every single one of them not only is to be a day one pick but has to also be pro bowler or a second contract player.

It’s amazing to me that we follow recruiting so closely here but nobody remembers that Bama has been number 1 or 2 in recruit rankings for like 10 years now. If they develop talent so much better than everyone else than why don’t they have like 10 first round picks every **** year?
Every year those schools recruit top 10 players at their positions. Every receiver lineman and dB is top ten in the nation. We give mike Rumph sht daily on here but the midget gets every elite skill player from haha dix to Ps2.

We get Howard and he has to be a **** hall of famer or we made him a bumb. People saying chad Thomas was a 4th rounder is our fault but Saban has put 5 stars in the 4 too.

Let me guess. Nesta at Bama would be a freshman all American right? pope would be a multiple Balitnikoff winner and would be taking snaps from jeudy if he was there right?

Give me 5 or 6 five stars and a bunch of ESPN 100 4 stars and even my sorry *** will make a few them a first rounder. Now multiply that times ten years and you have this magical nfl unicorn fart gas that they have at Bama that helps “develop” players.

Go look at those teams recruiting classes and you’ll see a bunch of elite H.S. players that never made the nfl. Never made the first round and never made a second contract.

This myth that Everyone says all over the country that this midget that buys entire families can make every player nfl caliber is the most blown out of proportion sht Ive ever seen.

They keep talking about Saban and Meyer and Dabo like they’re all King Midas
This is so dumb its unbelievable. I'm not talking about just NFL picks. I want to see us develop the players we get now! That's when we start getting much more of the top rated players to come in together. We hire people who are not there for qualifications but their connections with the HC. Golden and Richt chose nepotism.

Also I remember before the Clemson game people were talking about the 3 stars they have on their defense. They shut our offense down. Everyone knows their role whether they are 3 or 5 star. That's having a proper coaching system. U can chat all u want but we get better players than 90% of the ACC, yet we consistently lost to 50% of them. That's why u can't get more high rated players to challenge Bama and Clemson. So miss me with that bull. Also when was the last time we had players who played above what they were rated coming in? Rarely, we used to be great at that. That more than stars was why we were great. Coaching.

Let me add some more, Clemson didnt start outstacking their teams with 5 stars. They started winning 9 and 10 games win a big game, lose a bowl game. They got 70 points put on them by WVU. They fired the DC after that. So then they can show the players, we are close, we need your star power to come in and give us to 2 or 3 wins to overtake FSU and challenge Bama and the SEC. Now they are where they are. That's the process and steps teams take from being mediocre to challenging

Last edited:
Well look on the bright side... I ran the numbers and all we have to do to reach Clemson/Alabama talent levels is sign:

11 5-stars. AND
12 4-stars

In next year’s class.

Hey we can sign 25 kids in a class, so that even leaves room for two 3-star south florida dawgs that we can include.

How’s our 2021 class looking?

#Keepthehopealive
Not sure what my post has to do with this at all. Any person with half a brain would realize that we’re massively lagging behind in 5 stars when the one 5 star that we’ve landed in the last 5 years is a stiff hipped RB with no wiggle who isn’t even on the roster anymore. Kudos to you, though.

Advertisement
This is so dumb its unbelievable. I'm not talking about just NFL picks. I want to see us develop the players we get now! That's when we start getting much more of the top rated players to come in together. We hire people who are not there for qualifications but their connections with the HC. Golden and Richt chose nepotism.

Also I remember before the Clemson game people were talking about the 3 stars they have on their defense. They shut our offense down. Everyone knows their role whether they are 3 or 5 star. That's having a proper coaching system. U can chat all u want but we get better players than 90% of the ACC, yet we consistently lost to 50% of them. That's why u can't get more high rated players to challenge Bama and Clemson. So miss me with that bull. Also when was the last time we had players who played above what they were rated coming in? Rarely, we used to be great at that. That more than stars was why we were great. Coaching
I guarantee you Clemson has more 4 and 5 star players on their defense than we do on offense. The only 4 star players on Miami’s staring offense are Brevin Jordan, Cam Harris and Mark Pope. Clemson didn’t beat Miami because they had some super special defensive playbook. They beat Miami because their defensive line is better than Miami’s offensive line and their corners are better than Miami’s receivers. If Miami can start getting more 4 and 5 star talent, especially on the offensive line (nobody who plays O-line was higher than 3 stars) they can probably do a better job.

Also I remember before the Clemson game people were talking about the 3 stars they have on their defense. They shut our offense down. Everyone knows their role whether they are 3 or 5 star. That's having a proper coaching system. U can chat all u want but we get better players than 90% of the ACC, yet we consistently lost to 50% of them. That's why u can't get more high rated players to challenge Bama and Clemson. So miss me with that bull. Also when was the last time we had players who played above what they were rated coming in? Rarely, we used to be great at that. That more than stars was why we were great. Coaching
Well first off I don’t understand why you can’t comprehend that we do develop players above what they’re rated. For the past five or six years we’ve constantly put three stars in the NFL while a bunch of Bama‘s five stars haven’t made it. But at the same time you always compare Clemson’s three stars but where do they have their three stars at?. If you look at their defensive line I don’t think there’s one three star on there. And I don’t think they recruited any three star defensive lineman in the past three or four years. So If Clemson shut us down they shut us down with guys that are going to be in the NFL. They even have a Five star a back up.
Clemson has had the same defensive staff for years and most of the same coaches for years. Our problem is always players leaving too early backed up by second stringers weren’t anywhere near their level.

Take for example Alabama since everybody wants to compare the “goat” to everyone else.
They had 6 five stars on that class yeah you read that correctly six. Four of them are still on their team! Moses, Harris, Leatherwood and Ray. And for the past three classes after that class they’ve recruited just as many elite talented kids at the same positions. So you want to give them credit for development but at the same time not give anybody on UM’s staff credit for the kids we’ve had to go to the NFL that weren’t ranked anywhere near what those guys were ranked. Including Gregory Russo which for some reason you failed to mention.

is it all sunshine and rainbows? Absolutely not. Should we have won the coastal almost every year? Yes!
But it wasn’t cause of development!! And I know many people in here disagree.

Golden should’ve fired d-no. Plenty of points to win most of our games including some against FSU if we only had a defensive scheme that worked. Even d-no had players drafted from that shtty scheme.
CMR should’ve never hired his son and went spread. Enough weapons to win almost every game and a defense that shutdown almost everyone we faced and what we’re doing now proves it.

And let’s not forget that Clemson has arguably also had 2 nfl qb’s during that run including sunshine who people have been saying he’s the next great one at the position.
Watson almost single hamdedly took that team to the finals twice.
Our qb’s have barely been practice squad caliber for over a decade.

If Phillips stays another year (he should for his own good); then with him and Pope it makes 2. Then we have 2 incoming: Williams and Taylor. We could add a third if offered (T2). That would make five on the rooster next year (could have had six, but we know Lingard would have been useless). That's getting very close to where you need to be.

If you want to put an even more positive spin and stretch the definition, you could include players that were 5 stars at one point then were dropped to 4 stars (I'm predicting Garcia is added with one of the final two ICs). If we have a great year in 2021, then maybe add 2-3 more five stars and we will be extremely competitive. The future is bright.
Chaney was a 5.

Advertisement
I think it’s recruiting, bags, coaching, support staff that elevate these teams. The support staff is a huge thing. They put more eyes on film. Show tendencies of the other teams. It’s not talked about enough really. Baga has former head coaches on the analyst team. It’s crazy.

Can anybody name at least five "5 stars on Clemson's roster off the top of their head that made plays against us this year, the star whores continue!
I’ll give you one. The easiest one. The best player in the nation. Trevor Lawrence.

Keep believing stars don’t matter. All while the teams with the most 4 and 5 star players win the championship every single year.

I Sguarantee you Clemson has more 4 and 5 star players on their defense than we do on offense. The only 4 star players on Miami’s staring offense are Brevin Jordan, Cam Harris and Mark Pope. Clemson didn’t beat Miami because they had some super special defensive playbook. They beat Miami because their defensive line is better than Miami’s offensive line and their corners are better than Miami’s receivers. If Miami can start getting more 4 and 5 star talent, especially on the offensive line (nobody who plays O-line was higher than 3 stars) they can probably do a better job.
Clemson did not have the roster they have now, 7,8, 10 years ago. Comparing us now to them now is stupid. I laid out the steps they took to get there. It doesnt start with getting all the 5 stars unless u have big bags like UGA. It took dabo 6 years to build a championship team at Clemson. Playoff caliber. Why dont u compare our roster to all the teams we lose to yearly and show me their recruiting stars. FIU,VT, Duke, GT. That's coaching and nothing else

Advertisement
I’ll give you one. The easiest one. The best player in the nation. Trevor Lawrence.

Keep believing stars don’t matter. All while the teams with the most 4 and 5 star players win the championship every single year.
LOL, keep the faith and keep fighting the good fight for those nerd recruiting sites, and here's some news for you, etienne is actually their current best player on that team, but name another 1 or 2 besides him. The logic is flawed, for all those so called "5 star" players Bama has, why they keep losing to the teams that have less "5 star " players. Oh yeah and by the way, pope is listed as a "5 star" player as well.

Organized systems, confident coaches who have the ability to evaluate the players that fit their systems are the key, not what some nerd recruiting sites keep throwing darts at. And can you explain the difference between a "5star" and "4 star player" and the difference between a "4 star" & "3 star" player, what's the criteria, and how do they know this before the player has even played a college game, star whores continue!

Have said this before but recruiting should be about good evaluations and players that fit your system and culture. More important than stsr numbers to build a team
Ps development not part of recruiting. That comes after they are on the team

Clemson did not have the roster they have now, 7,8, 10 years ago. Comparing us now to them now is stupid. I laid out the steps they took to get there. It doesnt start with getting all the 5 stars unless u have big bags like UGA. It took dabo 6 years to build a championship team at Clemson. Playoff caliber. Why dont u compare our roster to all the teams we lose to yearly and show me their recruiting stars. FIU,VT, Duke, GT. That's coaching and nothing else
We played Clemson THIS year. The game was two weeks ago. The reason we lost to them is because they have better players than we do. And I’m well aware that it takes time to build a roster with that much talent. You’re the one going off on player development like Miami has the talent to beat Clemson but they just don’t “develop” it correctly. That’s not the case at all

Advertisement
Back