Crazy recruiting stats

While Miami hasn't had Alabama type classes, they haven't had Virginia Tech ones either. I will lean more towards extremely poor development of players than bad recruiting

We have actually had Virginia Tech type classes:

Advertisement
I have always thought even before Clemson's first title run in 2016 that they recruited better then us for a good while. I doubt it was after that but from what I always understood if my memory serves me right they had better top top heavy classes.
It seems that way in hindsight because they got better results than us. That even emphasizes their advantage in evaluations and development.

I remember a thread not too long ago that compared our recruiting to Sweeny's from 2009 (his first full year) to last year. Our recruiting rankings were comparable to slightly better than Clemson's until 2016. Then Clemson outpaced us in terms of number of 5*s and average ranking per recruit. Dabo also knew the advantage of recruiting elite talent at key positions (such as QB and DT) rather then have them scattered across the roster.

Actually, the Syracuse games have been pretty low scoring so they haven’t “diced them up”. Using your logic, Dino Barbers is the second best coach in the conference because he’s managed to stay close with Clemson. Let’s just ignore the fact that he’s won like 4 games over the last two seasons and just got smoked by Liberty. Besides, you’re trying to use outliers to prove your point. Yes, a more talented team occasionally sleep walks or plays down to the opposing team’s talent but that’s not what happens most of the time. You pointed out two games. Allow me to point out every other Clemson game the last few years against lesser talented ACC teams. Most of the time, almost all of the time, it’s a blood bath.
But Miami, for all intents and purposes, isn’t a conference foe of Clemson. Outside of this weird year and Miami’s outlier Coastal ‘17 performance, Miami “never“ sees Clemson.

So, if Clemson isn’t even in Miami’s “conference“, where Miami gets the best athletes, how come Miami has won the Coastal once and lost to FIU, et.al last year with near losses to CMU, etc?

Of course talent matters. But Miami hasn’t played, UGA, AL, OSU in how long? Even Florida, who Miami played last year, might as well be MSU with the infrequency with which the two teams play.

If Miami has the best athletes in the Coastal, how come Miami can’t win the Coastal?

Coaches hire staff. Coaches instruct. Coaches evaluate. Coaches recruit.

It’s coaching. Development is just the result of the coaches work product.

The problem, right now, isn't Bama, OSU, LSU, etc. - thinking we can compete with them is una paja mental. The problem is and has been we can't beat the slop that we face on a consistent basis. Look at the abortion that was last year, losing to the likes of GT, FIU, LTech, and Duke should never happen. Worse case scenario, sans injuries, there is only one game that should be a potential toss-up: UNC. We should win every other game. Let's do that first and consistently then we can worry about the Bamas, Clemsons, OSUs of the college football world.

We have actually had Virginia Tech type classes:

Good stuff. But GT, Pitt and other Coastal teams are 30 points south of MiamI on that list. That’s OSU v Indiana and Alabama v Kentucky level disparity. I can’t remember Indiana victory over OSU or Kentucky over AL, but Miami has been been beaten by these teams every year except this one.

Advertisement
When did you start watching football, have you ever heard of Virginia tech, they got their with the beamer adminstrstion, how about that oregon team, what did they have, what about Syracuse beating Clemson but also giving them tuff wins, how bout UNC last and Clemson beating them by 1 point, those recruiting sites know nothing, and just throw darts, how many examples do you want to keep ignoring from right in front of you, ed reed and santana moss, 2 star recruits, lol for starters! If any coach is relying on the evals of these nerd recruiting, that coach won't be around long.
Cool story. It’s 2020 and every championship contender has a roster full of 4 and 5 star players. The best teams have the best recruits. This is not debatable it’s 100%fact

Also, stop judging our recruiting by class rank. Those numbers have been overinflated by highly rated guys who either never enrolled or left school. Look at the class three or four years later and see how many of those guys are still on the roster. Then you can make an accurate talent assessment. Like I said earlier, does it matter if you sign 12 4 star kids but only 6 of them ever actually play for you?

Advertisement
You wanna know which team has a talent problem particularly on the defensive side of the ball. OU, smash the big 12 then get road graded in the playoffs. That's a situation where they get clearly overmatched. They are not losing on a regular basis to Texas tech and teams like that and if they do, its once a season. Not 5, 6 ,7 times. We have a talent problem, the root of it is a coaching problem. If u dont fix the coaching u are not fixing the talent. That's as simple as can be said.

Good stuff. But GT, Pitt and other Coastal teams are 30 points south of MiamI on that list. That’s OSU v Indiana and Alabama v Kentucky level disparity. I can’t remember Indiana victory over OSU or Kentucky over AL, but Miami has been been beaten by these teams every year except this one.

OSU lost big to Purdue in Urban's last year but I get your point.

Oh no that game should have been closer. Lashlees gameplan was dog sht. We had the players to do exactly what they did to us. Isolate our slow lbs on their much quicker and faster players at rb. No double te sets with Mallory and Jordan...u can’t double both of them and spy King like they were doing. And if you line them up tight to the formation the short edge they were blitzing off of is gone. His plan was to run hb dive into constant blitzes and throw jump balls to Pope, Harley and Wiggins 😂😂😂. Tell me that wasn’t what u saw as our offensive game plan.
They dominated at DL can't throw to TEs if your qb running for his life. IMO I think our roster isn't good enough for it to be a close game....again that's my opinion always has been at this stage in our program vs there's.

But we as talented as Clemson they say
On paper we were close in 2015. On paper. Just going off of memory it was roughly 33 blue chip players for the Tigers versus 27 for Miami that year.

On paper that gap has widened. Although Miami on paper is much stronger (we have around 40 blue chip players this season), Clemson is even more so. They've signed 52 blue chip players in the last four cycles.

The Tigers surge on paper really began to widen in the last two years:

2017:
Miami:
Recruiting Rank: #12
Blue Chip Players: 10

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #16
Blue Chip Players: 10 (2 five stars)

2018:
Miami:
Recruiting Rank: #8
Blue Chip Players: 15 (1 five star)

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #7
Blue Chip Players: 12 (5 five stars)

2019:
Miami:
Recruiting Rank: #27
Blue Chip Players: 7 (supplemented by numerous blue chip transfers such as Tate, Bolden, Phillips)

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #13
Blue Chip Players: 13 (1 five star)

2020:
Miami:

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #3
Blue Chip Players: 17 (5 five stars)

And looking at next year, in terms of blue chip players we're a lot closer. But Clemson still has more in sheer volume.

2021:
Miami:
Blue Chip Players: 12 (2 five stars)

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #4

Advertisement
But Miami, for all intents and purposes, isn’t a conference foe of Clemson. Outside of this weird year and Miami’s outlier Coastal ‘17 performance, Miami “never“ sees Clemson.

So, if Clemson isn’t even in Miami’s “conference“, where Miami gets the best athletes, how come Miami has won the Coastal once and lost to FIU, et.al last year with near losses to CMU, etc?

Of course talent matters. But Miami hasn’t played, UGA, AL, OSU in how long? Even Florida, who Miami played last year, might as well be MSU with the infrequency with which the two teams play.

If Miami has the best athletes in the Coastal, how come Miami can’t win the Coastal?

Coaches hire staff. Coaches instruct. Coaches evaluate. Coaches recruit.

It’s coaching. Development is just the result of the coaches work product.
It's a long story, and it's mostly coaching with some talent deficiencies:

2007: Imbalanced offensive depth as inherited from Coker (too many HBs and TEs, too few WRs and QBs)
2008: Very young, talented team with offensive scheme
2009: Maturing talented team that started 5-1. However roster had heavy, heavy attrition from 2008 and we had around 71 scholarship players. Injuries caught up with the team by week 7
2010: Coaching battles internally between OC and HC
2011: Lost numerous close games. Very poor 2011 class (imagine if Bridgewater had stayed). Good talent offset by DC scheme
2012: Mass attrition made it a very young team that amplified DC scheme issues
2013: Mass attrition made this a very thin team that faded down the stretch. DC scheme issues
2014: DC scheme issues coupled with freshman quarterback
2015: DC scheme issues with depth concerns
2016: New HC put quarterback in offense that did not suit his talents
2017: Depth issues at tight end, offensive trending down toward end of the year
2018: Poor offensive scheme. Mediocre QB play. Poor punting created short fields for opposing offenses
2019: Poor offensive scheme. Mediocre QB play. Poor kicking resulted in multiple lost games (we could have been 11-1 with our current kicker)

On paper we were close in 2015. On paper. Just going off of memory it was roughly 33 blue chip players for the Tigers versus 27 for Miami that year.

On paper that gap has widened. Although Miami on paper is much stronger (we have around 40 blue chip players this season), Clemson is even more so. They've signed 52 blue chip players in the last four cycles.

The Tigers surge on paper really began to widen in the last two years:

2017:
Miami:

Clemson:
Blue Chip Players: 10 (2 five stars)

2018:
Miami:
Recruiting Rank: #8

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #7
Blue Chip Players: 12 (5 five stars)

2019:
Miami:
Recruiting Rank: #27
Blue Chip Players: 7 (supplemented by numerous blue chip transfers such as Tate, Bolden, Phillips)

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #13
Blue Chip Players: 13 (1 five star)

2020:
Miami:

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #3
Blue Chip Players: 17 (5 five stars)

And looking at next year, in terms of blue chip players we're a lot closer. But Clemson still has more in sheer volume.

2021:
Miami:
Blue Chip Players: 12 (2 five stars)

Clemson:
Recruiting Rank: #4
I go by names mostly i remember knowing they were pulling better star players then us

Advertisement
Nobody thinks that deep down.
Yea I know people lie to themselves but I think at times their are those rare breed of fans that think we stacked with superior talent.

To me when they post we have enough talent to keep it close that's definitely cap.

Yea I know people lie to themselves but I think at times their are those rare breed of fans that think we stacked with superior talent.

To me when they post we have enough talent to keep it close that's definitely cap.
To be fair, other teams with far less talent have kept it close. They just expect this coaching staff to get the max out of our guys. (hasn’t happened in 20+ years)

Yeah, either lsu or okla or usc and texas! I mean this class and 22' class we could creep into da top ten
I think they have talent! Jt daniels, carson beck, dwan mathis, next year vandergriff! But, how did a former walk on win da job? That's the question that needs to ne answered.

JT can win games - he's just not healthy yet. Mathis was the talk of camp but he did not look good before he was bench for Bennett.

Once Vandagriff gets on campus that team should finally be able to challenge Bama for that top spot in the SEC.

Advertisement
Back