Corey Flagg has gone from a liability to a relative strength

Advertisement
We keep having this same discussion and it’s a nonsense discussion

Flagg is a consistent player. Not a liability.

People keep having these up and down emotional reactions to him because some weeks we play teams that are less athletic, and other times we play ones that are more athletic.

Against below average or average teams he can stand out. If we play athletic teams he’s overmatched. There’s nothing up and down about his game it’s just the opponent we play and the situations we use him in.
Doesn’t that make him a liability?

Doesn’t that make him a liability?
I don’t think so

I’ve said a few times I don’t think Flagg is part of the problem but I don’t think he’s part of the solution either

But genuinely the last thing I want to get into is semantics about the level of suck-ness of this team

It’s an exhausting circular discussion

If someone considers him a liability, that’s cool. Not real feelings about that from me.

I don’t think so

I’ve said a few times I don’t think Flagg is part of the problem but I don’t think he’s part of the solution either

But genuinely the last thing I want to get into is semantics about the level of suck-ness of this team

If someone considers him a liability, that’s cool. Not real feelings about that from me.
Flagg takes bad angles and misses tackles, too. Our LB’s have been bad all around. I doubt he’s on the team next season.

Advertisement
Flagg takes bad angles and misses tackles, too. Our LB’s have been bad all around. I doubt he’s on the team next season.
Not wrong. We need an upgrade across the board but I tend to think he’s going to finish his career here

The coaches clearly think a lot of him and character is needed too

Advertisement
He’s the poster child of our lackluster recruiting/ missed evals of the past 15-20 years
I don’t think Flagg is a example of a misevaluation..or lackluster recruiting..he’s a P5 starter. That’s what he is..what your highlighting sounds like Avery Huff, Tac, keyland Robinson, Ramon Buchanan etc..but it’s a trend for at least 1 player to become the fans scapegoat..in this case it’s due to Flagg being put out there prematurely..this season it’s not warranted

I’m kidding. A good work ethic does account for something though. I just don’t think in the future we’ll see many Corey Flaggs (athletically) on the roster.

Right now he’s the type kid needed to improve locker room effort and culture.
yes, it does. He's been a solid leader when this team really needed them. He makes a point of knowing what he has to do and also the others around him.

If there were 22 guys on this team who had the heart, dedication and motivation of Corey Flagg there would be far fewer issues.

He knows he's limited athletically but does everything he can to make up for that by being well prepared and bringing high energy to every game.

It's a shame so many of you can't see this....

Advertisement
I will definitely say Wes + Flagg seems to be the combo. I think having Wes on the field due to his speed makes up for Flagg not having it. Sure would be great to have both but Flagg has been serviceable at times and looked good with Wes out there

I don’t think so

He’s a backup… he should be the Special teams captain

Instead due to terrible recruiting under manny he’s a three down linebacker here

He’s bad… not his fault.

Advertisement
Ever since Flagg was recruited, I characterized him as a good kid, smart player, but not P5 material. He is proving me wrong this season. It's still a fact he's too slow, and expecting him to cover slot guys or TEs, sending him on delayed blitzes, or using him as a spy vs. athletic QBs are all mistakes. But used wisely, with the right personnel surrounding him, Flagg holds his own with his assignments. He has a good nose for the ball, fills the rigth hole (something he didn't do in past seasons) and tackles well.

Also, I can't count the number of times I've seen Flagg marshal the guys around him, position them to be in the right place prior to the snap. The young man is clearly the most knowledgeable player among our front 7. Having him as part of the unit makes the unit stronger overall. Especially now that they're starting Wes at MLB. Flagg is clearly mentoring him on the field, helping him become the AA we know he's capable of. Kid deserves a shout out given all the criticism many of us have given him, including myself.
Dude been whiffing like a mafukka lately! Makes a play here and there. Johnson and Wes should be the starters no doubt. Johnson is a better tackler and runs a lot better than Flagg and takes on blockers better.

He’s a backup… he should be the Special teams captain

Instead due to terrible recruiting under manny he’s a three down linebacker here

He’s bad… not his fault.
I think we are saying the same thing really.

He starts out of necessity, which to me doesn’t necessarily make him a liability because…what’s the alternative? He’s not technically a liability to me because we aren’t worse when he’s on the field than other players. That’s just how I view the term I guess. Either way yes we need to fix this.

If that makes sense

I think we are saying the same thing really.

He starts out of necessity, which to me doesn’t necessarily make him a liability because…what’s the alternative? He’s not technically a liability to me because we aren’t worse when he’s on the field than other players. That’s just how I view the term I guess. Either way yes we need to fix this.

If that makes sense
If your going to see someone struggle out there I’d rather see someone young like Wes out there learning and getting his lumps…

Seeing Flagg struggle over and over and being exposed for his athletic limitations is maddening… fine he understands Steeles entire playbook front to back… he knows where he needs to be yet can’t make the play because he is not athletic enough

If your going to see someone struggle out there I’d rather see someone young like Wes out there learning and getting his lumps…

Seeing Flagg struggle over and over and being exposed for his athletic limitations is maddening… fine he understands Steeles entire playbook front to back… he knows where he needs to be yet can’t make the play because he is not athletic enough
100%

Is Wes playing Flaggs spot? I really kinda checked out lately. If that’s the case then yes Wes for sure, but I thought they were on the field at the same time.

Either way I’m with you. It’s not Flaggs fault he’s one of the main guys. We gotta fix it. The definition of “liability” notwithstanding

Advertisement
Back