Corey Flagg has gone from a liability to a relative strength

I don’t think Flagg is a example of a misevaluation..or lackluster recruiting..he’s a P5 starter. That’s what he is..what your highlighting sounds like Avery Huff, Tac, keyland Robinson, Ramon Buchanan etc..but it’s a trend for at least 1 player to become the fans scapegoat..in this case it’s due to Flagg being put out there prematurely..this season it’s not warranted
Fair enough, lackluster recruiting then. Flagg is our defensive version of Malik rosier, great attitude and work ethic, but limited physically to the point that they should be either G5 or very low tier P5

Advertisement
I will definitely say Wes + Flagg seems to be the combo. I think having Wes on the field due to his speed makes up for Flagg not having it. Sure would be great to have both but Flagg has been serviceable at times and looked good with Wes out there
Flagg’s knowledge will help Wes get in the right position and his work habits will help show Wes the ropes.

I have a lot of respect for Flagg. I’d say he knows his limitations better than any of us and works his *** off to try and compensate as best he can.

Dude been whiffing like a mafukka lately! Makes a play here and there. Johnson and Wes should be the starters no doubt. Johnson is a better tackler and runs a lot better than Flagg and takes on blockers better.
I thought Johnson was terrible in the GTech game. He missed RBs 1 on 1 in the hole, got picked on big time with underneath coverages (couple of his tackles was from chasing them down after they caught a pas and turned up field on him). Saw him give up multiple first downs on his own and thought ok now I get why he is not playing more.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 8.32.21 AM.png

Prime example of how toxic this fan base can be.

Flagg plays so much because he’s legit lining people up every play. He’s probably 1 of 3 guys who is not on their phone, sleeping, or day dreaming in meeting rooms. A lot of you never played football, coached, or at least played defense. A defensive coordinator needs at least 1 guy out there they can fully trust and be their eyes/ears out there.

The dude cares, has worked tirelessly to address his physical limitations, and has consistently represented the university of Miami is a positive manner.

Of all dudes to pick a bone with. Insanity. I’d take 22 Corey flaggs and Kam kitchens

Advertisement
My biggest issue with Flagg isn't his speed, it's his strength. Doesn't get talked about enough but he's always in the right spot but always gets dragged 2 or 3 yards by the running back or running qbs.

So glad to see Wes holding his ground, we haven't had a knock back tackler at the LB position in years.

I thought Johnson was terrible in the GTech game. He missed RBs 1 on 1 in the hole, got picked on big time with underneath coverages (couple of his tackles was from chasing them down after they caught a pas and turned up field on him). Saw him give up multiple first downs on his own and thought ok now I get why he is not playing more.

View attachment 215171
I saw Flagg get ran passed through and around lol. Some of those plays were in zone also. Flagg would’ve gotten left behind lol. At least buddy had the speed to run down the players.

I saw Flagg get ran passed through and around lol. Some of those plays were in zone also. Flagg would’ve gotten left behind lol. At least buddy had the speed to run down the players.
Once opinions are formed people see what they want to see. Not saying Flagg is an all star but #40 is even more of a liability on the field if we are being honest. The play I highlighted went for over 20 and he was not just sitting in a zone. The VERY NEXT play he gave another 1st down to the rb in man coverage. But yes, he did have the speed to track down and eventually make the tackle.

I am little embarrassed for getting dragged into this rabbit hole. If the guys are working hard, being good teammates and doing the right things off the field I support them 100%. No need to call anyone out who is giving it all they have.

Advertisement
Ever since Flagg was recruited, I characterized him as a good kid, smart player, but not P5 material. He is proving me wrong this season. It's still a fact he's too slow, and expecting him to cover slot guys or TEs, sending him on delayed blitzes, or using him as a spy vs. athletic QBs are all mistakes. But used wisely, with the right personnel surrounding him, Flagg holds his own with his assignments. He has a good nose for the ball, fills the rigth hole (something he didn't do in past seasons) and tackles well.

Also, I can't count the number of times I've seen Flagg marshal the guys around him, position them to be in the right place prior to the snap. The young man is clearly the most knowledgeable player among our front 7. Having him as part of the unit makes the unit stronger overall. Especially now that they're starting Wes at MLB. Flagg is clearly mentoring him on the field, helping him become the AA we know he's capable of. Kid deserves a shout out given all the criticism many of us have given him, including myself.

He's definitely not a strength...Moving guys around, ok.

Great teammate and Cane though...Just should be a backup.

He's a gap shooter and cerebral player. But on a good defense you better have about 8-9 studs around him...PFF ratings have fallen off a cliff since being respectable the first 3-4 games of the season.

LB in general is the clear weak link of the defense, with the obvious exception of Bissainthe.

Prime example of how toxic this fan base can be.

Flagg plays so much because he’s legit lining people up every play. He’s probably 1 of 3 guys who is not on their phone, sleeping, or day dreaming in meeting rooms. A lot of you never played football, coached, or at least played defense. A defensive coordinator needs at least 1 guy out there they can fully trust and be their eyes/ears out there.

The dude cares, has worked tirelessly to address his physical limitations, and has consistently represented the university of Miami is a positive manner.

Of all dudes to pick a bone with. Insanity. I’d take 22 Corey flaggs and Kam kitchens
Lol at lining people up every play…

We’re going to game 11 this weekend if he’s still lining them up then that’s a problem… if anything he knows where he needs to be but he is not athletic enough at times to be there…. Plus it’s obvious that OCs are trying to create matchups with him. Dude should have a been a quality back up/STs ace but instead he’s a 3 down linebacker

Have no issues with Flagg. He’s become a solid player.

Not spectacular obviously, but far from the biggest issue this team has.
Ehhh

Clear weak link of the defense

IMO...

DT- Top 10-12 in nation as a group
DE- Slightly above average, have really come on as season has gone.
WLB- Bad all season, but now emerging w Bissainthe and only going to get better. We'll call it average here, but expect big things from 331.
MLB- Weak. No two ways about it. I think Johnson is slightly better, at least at covering ground, but he's whiffed plenty last few games. I would guess Flagg more cererable and that's why he gets the nod. We really need to portal recruit over Flagg next year, despite the fact he's a great kid.
Star/Nickle- It's usually Couch, sometimes a 3rd safety, as we are only in 3 LB a few times a game (and haven't seen every play of every game recently)...Average
Corners- Stevenson is above...Ivey is below, although Ivey plays up against weaker passing attacks. You ask him to stick a real receiver, it's curtains
Safeties - Started off disappointing, now above average...Possibly a real strength moving forward. The tackling needs cleaned up. They are all over the field in coverage.

The 2nd level is clearly our defensive weakness.

Advertisement
Lol at lining people up every play…

We’re going to game 11 this weekend if he’s still lining them up then that’s a problem… if anything he knows where he needs to be but he is not athletic enough at times to be there…. Plus it’s obvious that OCs are trying to create matchups with him. Dude should have a been a quality back up/STs ace but instead he’s a 3 down linebacker
Who do you think is getting 31 and the other young cats in position every play? It doesn’t matter if it’s week 11. Every week you face new sets, new packages installed, new personnel, and calls change. You need someone in the middle who can communicate everything.

Steele himself has called Flagg the quarterback of the defense. Again, people who actually played/coached the game know how invaluable that is. There is a reason, even with his physical limitations which are very obvious, that he doesn’t come off the field. He’s an asset to THIS team. Would it be great if there were guys around him who could protect/shield his weaknesses…yes.

He’s probably going to be an All ACC guy this year and this board is going to lose their mind when it happens

Ever since Flagg was recruited, I characterized him as a good kid, smart player, but not P5 material. He is proving me wrong this season. It's still a fact he's too slow, and expecting him to cover slot guys or TEs, sending him on delayed blitzes, or using him as a spy vs. athletic QBs are all mistakes. But used wisely, with the right personnel surrounding him, Flagg holds his own with his assignments. He has a good nose for the ball, fills the rigth hole (something he didn't do in past seasons) and tackles well.

Also, I can't count the number of times I've seen Flagg marshal the guys around him, position them to be in the right place prior to the snap. The young man is clearly the most knowledgeable player among our front 7. Having him as part of the unit makes the unit stronger overall. Especially now that they're starting Wes at MLB. Flagg is clearly mentoring him on the field, helping him become the AA we know he's capable of. Kid deserves a shout out given all the criticism many of us have given him, including myself.
thanks for the post Mr. Flagg

He’s probably going to be an All ACC guy this year and this board is going to lose their mind when it happens

Lol did someone really type this?? If he makes it anywhere near those teams there needs to be an investigation. Honorable mention tops and that's more just too reward him for durability and not being terrible.

If we were like a dominant defense maybe he can sneak in as a quarterback Mike on like 2nd or 3rd team...But we are probably what, the 6-7th best defense in the league...Maybe 5th now healthy and some young guys emerging.

But as of now we are midpack ACC defense and he grades out as the 18th best LB in the conference out of 26 total LB for those that have played at least 50% of snaps and 43rd out of 74 for those who have played 33% of the snaps. For reference Bissainthe is 8th, C.Johnson is 25th, and K.Smith is 47th (none of them make the 50% list, although I believe Smith is close).

Seems like great kid and is serviceable...And you can tell he is a the type of kid that that is becoming more rare today in that he would play football 7 days a week if he could. True Cane...And I do understand and agree with you on the importance of the role of a cerebral, vocal kid to captain and lineup the defense. But every D has one... And he is not "good" though. Not even close really.

He's better than B.Jennings lol...I'll give you that much.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who do you think is getting 31 and the other young cats in position every play? It doesn’t matter if it’s week 11. Every week you face new sets, new packages installed, new personnel, and calls change. You need someone in the middle who can communicate everything.

Steele himself has called Flagg the quarterback of the defense. Again, people who actually played/coached the game know how invaluable that is. There is a reason, even with his physical limitations which are very obvious, that he doesn’t come off the field. He’s an asset to THIS team. Would it be great if there were guys around him who could protect/shield his weaknesses…yes.

If Flagg is an All ACC selection I will take a 2 week break from here. Save this do whatever you gotta do.

I hope he makes a good coach one day. Very nice young man from all reports.

Flagg is probably one of our best Lb and that just shows how bad our LB talent is , I think wesley will be a stud in the future hopefully

Don’t let the flexing and chest thumping fool you bro. Flagg is outta position 80% of the time.

Sometimes I don’t even know what he’s looking at when the play is going the opposite direction.

Advertisement
Back