Corey Flagg has gone from a liability to a relative strength

grover

Senior
Premium
Ever since Flagg was recruited, I characterized him as a good kid, smart player, but not P5 material. He is proving me wrong this season. It's still a fact he's too slow, and expecting him to cover slot guys or TEs, sending him on delayed blitzes, or using him as a spy vs. athletic QBs are all mistakes. But used wisely, with the right personnel surrounding him, Flagg holds his own with his assignments. He has a good nose for the ball, fills the rigth hole (something he didn't do in past seasons) and tackles well.

Also, I can't count the number of times I've seen Flagg marshal the guys around him, position them to be in the right place prior to the snap. The young man is clearly the most knowledgeable player among our front 7. Having him as part of the unit makes the unit stronger overall. Especially now that they're starting Wes at MLB. Flagg is clearly mentoring him on the field, helping him become the AA we know he's capable of. Kid deserves a shout out given all the criticism many of us have given him, including myself.

Advertisement
Man you got time to erase this before everyone wake up. I’m on the west coast and it’s 6:10. This the first post I saw this morning.

This post not about to go well sir or ma’am.
Go On Reaction GIF by Black Prez

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think at the beginning of the season we all envisioned a scenario where IF Flagg was deemed the starting MLB that he would be surrounded long, athletic, fast OLBs like Wes B, Chase Smith, Keontra Smith or Caleb Johnson to mask his weaknesses. Unfortunately that didnt happen. Chase Smith is in no mans land and Keontra/Caleb flash at times but werent consistant. Wes B a TF so not fair to depend on him solely yet although I believe he will be the starter moving forward.

Flagg is limited. But Flagg also flashes and makes some pretty BIG plays as well. People say replace him..but with who?

Why is he even on the field in those situations?

Great Question! I haven’t seen him in on “every” 3rd and long, but JW usually drops to the box with him or Bissainthe or Johnson has been in. I would assume Bissainthe will get the nod moving forward in obvious passing situations. Overall, LB room is deficient of talent which likely answers your question.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Every 3rd and long Flagg is about as deep as a safety in coverage and most of the converted 1st down always seem to be shallow area of the field where a LB would be
Then that’s on the coaches, or lack of LB personnel - or both.

No one would argue he should be in on obvious passing situations, buts he’s clearly been good around the line of scrimmage on early downs.

Advertisement
Back