Corey Flagg has gone from a liability to a relative strength

Advertisement
I want him on this football team. He works hard, knows his playbook inside and out, and seems like an excellent teammate….. but he can’t be in the 2 deep next year.

He’s an excellent 3rd Mike earning limited snaps.
He will probably be an excellent coach one day! His football playing days will probably be over once his eligibility runs out. There's nothing wrong with that. Everybody can't be an All American, NFL type guy.

Seen “unathletic” 2 stars play a role on 2 Bama national title teams. Seen “slow” MLB at Clemson play at All conference levels on contenders. Seen 3 stars all over the nation become **** good cfb players..Flagg has not been a issue at all this year. His growth has surprised me too. A 3 star kid who had no business on the field as early as he was..if we 11 was stashed away, redshirting and developing the negative stigma on him would not exist. He’s one of the best MLB in the conference this season.

Advertisement
Have no issues with Flagg. He’s become a solid player.
Ever since Flagg was recruited, I characterized him as a good kid, smart player, but not P5 material. He is proving me wrong this season. It's still a fact he's too slow, and expecting him to cover slot guys or TEs, sending him on delayed blitzes, or using him as a spy vs. athletic QBs are all mistakes. But used wisely, with the right personnel surrounding him, Flagg holds his own with his assignments. He has a good nose for the ball, fills the rigth hole (something he didn't do in past seasons) and tackles well.

Also, I can't count the number of times I've seen Flagg marshal the guys around him, position them to be in the right place prior to the snap. The young man is clearly the most knowledgeable player among our front 7. Having him as part of the unit makes the unit stronger overall. Especially now that they're starting Wes at MLB. Flagg is clearly mentoring him on the field, helping him become the AA we know he's capable of. Kid deserves a shout out given all the criticism many of us have given him, including myself.

Not spectacular obviously, but far from the biggest issue this team has.
Dont complain when we get blown out by FSU, MTSU, DUKE either.. This attitude is why you guys overreact when we suck.. You cant have it both ways..

This attitude is why we ******* suck

Dont complain when we get blown out by FSU, MTSU, DUKE either.. This attitude is why you guys overreact when we suck.. You cant have it both ways..

This attitude is why we ******* suck

Except Flagg is not responsible for those losses. Sure he screws up. So does Stevenson. So does Kinchens. Flagg has been more an asset than a liability.

I would argue he has been more an asset than liability, but his misses flash on the screen due to his lack of relative athleticism. His stats could be even better. I don't think we have someone better right now though (since Wes is taking the other LB spot.)

Advertisement
Flagg has gotten more **** than he has deserved this season. He's made some plays behind the LOS. Demonstrated improved tackling in space. And has been a vocal guy on defense. When he's moving downhill, he's been good this season.

But he's physically limited and it really limits what you can call on defense when he's out there. He's a liability in zone and man coverage. He still scares me in the open field moving laterally. And athletic OL can erase him from a play (because he's not strong enough to take them on and win, and he's not agile enough to avoid the big, athletic guys).

Very good instincts and eyes. Seems like a great teammate and a great young man. And he has definitely put in work and improved this season. I just don't think he can be among your starting LBs if you want to really compete in any P5 conference.

It's not his fault he was born a certain size and with athletic limitations. He's doing his best to maximize whatever athletic talent he has. How many players on this team can we really say that about?

Except Flagg is not responsible for those losses. Sure he screws up. So does Stevenson. So does Kinchens. Flagg has been more an asset than a liability.
You dont get it.. You cant win with a team full of jags, either you are happy we will never win anything with a caliber of players like flagg.. Dude is small and slow.. NO TEAM starts their meetings about how #11 is a guy to pay attention to other than as a weakness to exploit.. We have too many players like this, how can we get better depending on guys of this caliber?! If he plays next year, more blowouts.. We have to recruit over scrubs

Ever since Flagg was recruited, I characterized him as a good kid, smart player, but not P5 material. He is proving me wrong this season. It's still a fact he's too slow, and expecting him to cover slot guys or TEs, sending him on delayed blitzes, or using him as a spy vs. athletic QBs are all mistakes. But used wisely, with the right personnel surrounding him, Flagg holds his own with his assignments. He has a good nose for the ball, fills the rigth hole (something he didn't do in past seasons) and tackles well.

Also, I can't count the number of times I've seen Flagg marshal the guys around him, position them to be in the right place prior to the snap. The young man is clearly the most knowledgeable player among our front 7. Having him as part of the unit makes the unit stronger overall. Especially now that they're starting Wes at MLB. Flagg is clearly mentoring him on the field, helping him become the AA we know he's capable of. Kid deserves a shout out given all the criticism many of us have given him, including myself.
You sound like a social worker.

Advertisement
I agree with you that he’s improved. He should not be the centerpiece of a Miami defense but that’s not his fault. He plays hard and has given it his best. I think they need to let him pursue his future elsewhere. Problem with guys like that is when you have them, you have to play them and he has limitations that have hurt us over and over. I’d rather a freshman without those limitations be making the same mistakes he does next year. But I’ll be rooting for him wherever.

He's a smart player at times and gets himself in position to make plays but his lack of speed and size with no range exposes him terribly not to mention it happen ALOT

Great Question! I haven’t seen him in on “every” 3rd and long, but JW usually drops to the box with him or Bissainthe or Johnson has been in. I would assume Bissainthe will get the nod moving forward in obvious passing situations. Overall, LB room is deficient of talent which likely answers your question.

I'm not gonna beat the kid up anymore, but he lacks the speed and body control to cover anyone effectively. Put another DB out there instead. That's coaching.

Advertisement

I heard Wes would be starting but are we starting Wes at MLB and Flagg at WLB??

I'm not gonna beat the kid up anymore, but he lacks the speed and body control to cover anyone effectively. Put another DB out there instead. That's coaching.
He wouldn’t get beat up on here as much if they didn’t put him in terrible situations. Kid is serviceable to good on 1st two downs. He should never be in on a 3rd and long. We constantly rotate DL but can’t with LBs in certain situations. It’s a disservice to him.

We keep having this same discussion and it’s a nonsense discussion

Flagg is a consistent player. Not a liability.

People keep having these up and down emotional reactions to him because some weeks we play teams that are less athletic, and other times we play ones that are more athletic.

Against below average or average teams he can stand out. If we play athletic teams he’s overmatched. There’s nothing up and down about his game it’s just the opponent we play and the situations we use him in.

Advertisement
Back