Conspiracy for the U to stay buried.

Advertisement
There is no conspiracy to bury the University of Miami football program. I know this for a fact.

What's really happening is, a decision was made 10-15 years ago to sort of "reset" the football program so that it could generate a new culture that wouldn't continually embarrass the university. The administration is not opposed to the Hurricanes football team, or any other athletic program at the University of Miami, from achieving national success, or even dominance. What they are opposed to is the athletic department hurting and/or destroying the credibility of the academic/research side of the university. The old administration didn't care if people around the country viewed the University of Miami as "Thug U" or "the CoCanes". The new administration does. They are going to hire stable, clean-cut coaches to run the athletic programs, even if they aren't necessarily successful. They will keep trying to find coaches who can win and bring in revenue, but they won't let any of the sports within the athletic department becomes circuses, like football was from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s. They are all in favor of winning national titles if it can be done cleanly and without any negative attention to the university.

That's how it was explained to me.
Tad Foote was thoroughly embarrassed by the impression of our football team. He presided over our first four championships and set the stage for our fifth.

Tad Foote was thoroughly embarrassed by the impression of our football team. He presided over our first four championships and set the stage for our fifth.

Not enough to do anything meaningful about it. It wasn't until he was out that the ball really started rolling on cleaning up Miami's image once and for all.

Had season tickets at the OB for 5 years and experienced some amazing games but here is what I do not miss

--You sat on a bench - no chairbacks except for the few club seats (We'd sneak in whenever we could)
--No replay screen - If you missed the play--you missed the play, so most people just stayed in their seats
--Concession stand lines were crazy long
--Bathroom lines were crazy long to the point it was not uncommon for women to use the guys' bathroom.

What made the OB great were the great teams that played in it. I enjoy the Hard Rock game experience much more.
I agree with everything you wrote, however, I liked the fact that there was just the announcer and the game. It makes you focus on the action in the game, not the stands.

Advertisement
There is no conspiracy to bury the University of Miami football program. I know this for a fact.

What's really happening is, a decision was made 10-15 years ago to sort of "reset" the football program so that it could generate a new culture that wouldn't continually embarrass the university. The administration is not opposed to the Hurricanes football team, or any other athletic program at the University of Miami, from achieving national success, or even dominance. What they are opposed to is the athletic department hurting and/or destroying the credibility of the academic/research side of the university. The old administration didn't care if people around the country viewed the University of Miami as "Thug U" or "the CoCanes". The new administration does. They are going to hire stable, clean-cut coaches to run the athletic programs, even if they aren't necessarily successful. They will keep trying to find coaches who can win and bring in revenue, but they won't let any of the sports within the athletic department becomes circuses, like football was from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s. They are all in favor of winning national titles if it can be done cleanly and without any negative attention to the university.

Thatā€™s part of it.... the other part is cashing guaranteed ACC checks to aid said academic/research facilities and the like. Winning big is no longer necessary nor is it a priority at the U. Use inner city kids who put EVERYTHING on the line to garner the fame, get rid of those dogs...replace with kittens-(ā€œkittens are cuter), use aforementioned fame to snag a comfy spot in the ACC. SEC snags said dogs and win multiple MNCs with dogs from our kennels. **** is ****ed up...

From declining Gary Patterson and Dan Mullen (twice), to hiring Shalala, to eliminating the greatest home field advantage in history of college football the OB after the city agreed to finance the renovations, to hiring these cheap no talent coaches over and over one must ponder whether they simply donā€™t want us to return at the top of the pyramid at UM. Richt only got approved for a indoor facility after having to front 1million of his own money in order for Ad/President to sign off. Itā€™s a conspiracy. President/AD donā€™t want UM to win anymore. They donā€™t want to ā€œThe uā€ to exist anymore. Manny & Co are the problem. But they also are nothing but broken strings on a damaged guitar.

You are an idiot and an obvious troll. "The city" didn't "agree to finance the renovations", the City of Miami broke a SIGNED CONTRACT with Hammes because the Latin Builders Association and the Miami Marlins pressured them to back out of the deal.

And plenty of people on this board continue to support the Marlins and give them money.

Who explained that to you?

Someone I went to school with at UM and a current employee of the university. He's a Cane fan first, and a very good source of information, especially about the football program (he was warning me back in mid-August that player development was still an issue, and accurately predicted our 6-6 finish). I was actually going to post some of the things he told me before the Florida game, but it was so... disappointingly negative that I didn't want to take the chance of being banned as a troll. People were so optimistic before the season that I didn't want to rain on everyone's parade. One little nugget that I thought was interesting was, he is good friends with an ex-UM receiver, and this receiver was at a practice back in August to observe and help the coaches, if asked. Long story short, this ex-UM receiver, at the end of practice, pretty much told my friend that it was a "**** show", and that the Cane receivers were not being properly coached, especially how to block, run routes, use their hands, and be physical. It took him visiting only one practice to know the season was lost. That's how bad the impression was.

Advertisement
Someone I went to school with at UM and a current employee of the university. He's a Cane fan first, and a very good source of information, especially about the football program (he was warning me back in mid-August that player development was still an issue, and accurately predicted our 6-6 finish). I was actually going to post some of the things he told me before the Florida game, but it was so... disappointingly negative that I didn't want to take the chance of being banned as a troll. People were so optimistic before the season that I didn't want to rain on everyone's parade. One little nugget that I thought was interesting was, he is good friends with an ex-UM receiver, and this receiver was at a practice back in August to observe and help the coaches, if asked. Long story short, this ex-UM receiver, at the end of practice, pretty much told my friend that it was a "**** show", and that the Cane receivers were not being properly coached, especially how to block, run routes, use their hands, and be physical. It took him visiting only one practice to know the season was lost. That's how bad the impression was.
Where you been, boychik? Good to add another lonsman to our CIS minyan.

You wouldā€™ve definitely been labeled a troll given your low post count and the state of mind on the board at the time so you did the right thing laying low and not raining on the parade.

Your description fits the way Iā€™ve understood the priorities to be. The part about the WR witnessing the horrendous practice is just unreal that we would have such a low level of competence, regardless. I do hope Manny changes staff out but his level of competence as the HC is problematic in and of itself.

1. The place felt like it was going to shake apart when the crowd was stomping. I mean literally you could see the seats moving up and down like an earthquake. The louder it got the more it would shake and the more it fired up the crowd. It was crazy loud.

2. The open ended stadium was cool.

3. Apparently it was notoriously awful in the visitors locker room. Sewage pipes would burst, hot water didn't work. It was a ****hole for visitors and it would unnerve them before the game even started. Imagine you are a player on a visiting team, you are fired up, then notice a brown drip on your white uniform. You look up to see the waste pipe has cracked and you are getting sprayed with ****water. It would get in their heads.
Don't forget the sewer pipes dripping from above the WEZ endzone.

Advertisement

What's really happening is, a decision was made 10-15 years ago to sort of "reset" the football program so that it could generate a new culture that wouldn't continually embarrass the university. The administration is not opposed to the Hurricanes football team, or any other athletic program at the University of Miami, achieving national success, or even dominance. What they are opposed to is the athletic department hurting and/or destroying the credibility of the academic/research side of the university. The old administration didn't care if people around the country viewed the University of Miami as "Thug U" or "the CoCanes". The new administration does. They are going to hire stable, clean-cut coaches to run the athletic programs, even if they aren't necessarily successful. They will keep trying to find coaches who can win and bring in revenue, but they won't let any of the sports within the athletic department becomes circuses, like football was from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s. They are all in favor of winning national titles if it can be done cleanly and without any negative attention to the university.

Trying to win a dogs game with a bunch of puppies.

Well it doesn't answer my question, but @Rellyrell and @ddann did so its all good.
It was in the ghetto. Was an intimidating place for away teams to pull in to. The crowds were insane, the seats were on top of visitor sideline. Bowden once said he couldnt hear himself talking.
Had the swirling wind in the open end zone.

And it was our field. Everyone thought of the hurricanes when someone mentioned the orange bowl.
the dolphins went downhill after leaving the OB as well. I donā€™t think thatā€™s a coincidence.

What's really happening is, a decision was made 10-15 years ago to sort of "reset" the football program so that it could generate a new culture that wouldn't continually embarrass the university. The administration is not opposed to the Hurricanes football team, or any other athletic program at the University of Miami, achieving national success, or even dominance. What they are opposed to is the athletic department hurting and/or destroying the credibility of the academic/research side of the university. The old administration didn't care if people around the country viewed the University of Miami as "Thug U" or "the CoCanes". The new administration does. They are going to hire stable, clean-cut coaches to run the athletic programs, even if they aren't necessarily successful. They will keep trying to find coaches who can win and bring in revenue, but they won't let any of the sports within the athletic department becomes circuses, like football was from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s. They are all in favor of winning national titles if it can be done cleanly and without any negative attention to the university.

Sad part is, without the success of the football teams from the 80s, 90s and 2000s, the University would not be where it's at in all other aspects.

Advertisement
It was in the ghetto. Was an intimidating place for away teams to pull in to. The crowds were insane, the seats were on top of visitor sideline. Bowden once said he couldnt hear himself talking.
Had the swirling wind in the open end zone.

And it was our field. Everyone thought of the hurricanes when someone mentioned the orange bowl.
the dolphins went downhill after leaving the OB as well. I donā€™t think thatā€™s a coincidence.
Miami Gardens ain't much better than Little Havana.

Wow. Well it all makes sense now. This entire program needs to be blown up from the foundation up. Start from scratch

Where you been, boychik? Good to add another lonsman to our CIS minyan.

You wouldā€™ve definitely been labeled a troll given your low post count and the state of mind on the board at the time so you did the right thing laying low and not raining on the parade.

Your description fits the way Iā€™ve understood the priorities to be. The part about the WR witnessing the horrendous practice is just unreal that we would have such a low level of competence, regardless. I do hope Manny changes staff out but his level of competence as the HC is problematic in and of itself.

Well, there is another consideration, and it's my friend and some of his sources close to the football team. The real reason I didn't post anything back in August is because almost all of the information I had was very specific and could have been traced back to certain people if the wrong eyes (current coaches, current players, current administration employees) had seen it. For example, that story about the ex-UM receiver? I got that on the very same day it occurred. So if I had immediately posted about it here, it could have gotten back to the coaches, and they would have been able to figure out who it came from. My friend knows I share some of his "insight" here (ha ha, pun intended) and trusts that I won't say anything to compromise his identity (Hey K, just in case you are reading this, I've got your back). Like I said, he is a Cane fan first, in the sense that he grew up a Cane and was a fan before he was ever offered a scholarship to go to school there or offered a job to work there.

We are going to be fine in the long run. Trust me. We went 6-6 with a coaching staff that is basically learning on the job. What do you think is going to happen when we finally get lucky and nab the right coach? We're still sitting smack dab in the middle of the best, most fertile recruiting grounds in the entire country. We still have a legacy of turning guys into NFL all-timers. We still have a reputation for success. Just because our administration is hellbent on running a clean(er) program doesn't mean we are relegated to being losers. We just need the right coach is all.

Advertisement
Back