Conspiracy for the U to stay buried.

I've heard the ghosts/ spirits in the orange bowl myth before. Does anyone know where the legend comes from?

Butch even mentioned it in his post game press conference after the fiu loss. And judging by the way our guys played they seemed like were in a trance or something smh

My friend says he was a gargoyle named "death" and sat on the goal posts and blew the kicks left and right for FSU. true story..

Advertisement
Two words to describe the OB...

HOSTILE
and
UNCOMFORTABLE! (for visitors)

It was an absolute **** hole that teams/fans hated visiting. Everything from the local neighborhood that they had to drive though, the seats, the visitor's locker rooms, the riff raffs hanging outside the stadium, the insults from the home crowd, the deafening noise, etc...ALL MADE OUR VISITOR'S EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. But we freakin' loved it. It had character. It was so Miami.

I was a Canes ball boy for 3 seasons. Worked the visitor's sidelines many times. Lots of those teams looked extremely uncomfortable and down right frightened.
I had a visiting team's Pastor tell me that he's been with their team for 20 something years and this is the loudest stadium he's ever been in.

LOL. The best part about it was that almost every team's fans would put up testimonials after we'd beat them recounting the horrors of our fans and the unsavory neighborhoods they had to walk through to get to the stadium. It would read like the movie Judgment Night. It was a very uncomfortable experience for most visiting fans which is just the way we wanted it. Good times!

There is no conspiracy to bury the University of Miami football program. I know this for a fact.

What's really happening is, a decision was made 10-15 years ago to sort of "reset" the football program so that it could generate a new culture that wouldn't continually embarrass the university. The administration is not opposed to the Hurricanes football team, or any other athletic program at the University of Miami, from achieving national success, or even dominance. What they are opposed to is the athletic department hurting and/or destroying the credibility of the academic/research side of the university. The old administration didn't care if people around the country viewed the University of Miami as "Thug U" or "the CoCanes". The new administration does. They are going to hire stable, clean-cut coaches to run the athletic programs, even if they aren't necessarily successful. They will keep trying to find coaches who can win and bring in revenue, but they won't let any of the sports within the athletic department becomes circuses, like football was from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s. They are all in favor of winning national titles if it can be done cleanly and without any negative attention to the university.

That's how it was explained to me.
So Urban is out.

So Urban is out.

Obviously, yes. We're not going to outbid a program like USC for Urban Meyer. But even if we could, he has a track record for controversy and instability. Plus he has established himself as a bit of a mercenary. From what I've heard, our administration is looking to avoid that sort of thing. But I think we would take a younger version of Urban Meyer, if he were available. There are hungry young successful head coaches out there toiling away at small universities and mid-majors, and those are the guys we need to go after. We don't have to go after a big name to win.

Advertisement
There is no conspiracy to bury the University of Miami football program. I know this for a fact.

What's really happening is, a decision was made 10-15 years ago to sort of "reset" the football program so that it could generate a new culture that wouldn't continually embarrass the university. The administration is not opposed to the Hurricanes football team, or any other athletic program at the University of Miami, from achieving national success, or even dominance. What they are opposed to is the athletic department hurting and/or destroying the credibility of the academic/research side of the university. The old administration didn't care if people around the country viewed the University of Miami as "Thug U" or "the CoCanes". The new administration does. They are going to hire stable, clean-cut coaches to run the athletic programs, even if they aren't necessarily successful. They will keep trying to find coaches who can win and bring in revenue, but they won't let any of the sports within the athletic department becomes circuses, like football was from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s. They are all in favor of winning national titles if it can be done cleanly and without any negative attention to the university.

Who explained that to you?

This language is problematic.

Advertisement
@OriginalGatorHater
My bro...the feeling of being in the Orange Bowl was the equivalent of being in the Roman Colosseum and 75,000 of your brothers and sisters are giving a thumbs down....that meant death to the other team.
The West end zone was closed off and was so loud that many times the other team couldnt hear anything and would visably complain.
The stadium literally would shake and on major plays you would see later on TV highlights that the cameras were shaking as well.
Upper and lower decks were loud and on top of the field. On some occassions items would be thrown on field.
One game vs Vag tech...some stupid idiot gator fan came to WEZ with his gator jersey on. Mofos literally grabbed dude pounded on him...took his jersey off and then the jersey traveled all the way down to end zone on field...then moments after....he was thrown over on to field...beat the fvck up....while people kept chirping at him.
It was like Roman times savagery....like all the time...every game.
Good post but there's one historical reference that is always wrong. In the Coliseum, thumbs down meant "do not kill". This makes sense because going to the games was great entertainment. If two fought valiantly it made sense to spare the loser to fight again another day. The sign to kill was "thumbs up". To this day we use that sign in the affirmative.

1. The place felt like it was going to shake apart when the crowd was stomping. I mean literally you could see the seats moving up and down like an earthquake. The louder it got the more it would shake and the more it fired up the crowd. It was crazy loud.

2. The open ended stadium was cool.

3. Apparently it was notoriously awful in the visitors locker room. Sewage pipes would burst, hot water didn't work. It was a ****hole for visitors and it would unnerve them before the game even started. Imagine you are a player on a visiting team, you are fired up, then notice a brown drip on your white uniform. You look up to see the waste pipe has cracked and you are getting sprayed with ****water. It would get in their heads.

I can attest to the fact that the OB stadium moved. I was in an upper row during the first Natty and when Calhoun tipped that ball, I was literally bouncing up and down. I thought I was gonna friggin’ die, but I was too drunk and too happy to care. Peak Experience. What a special place that was.

Advertisement
These are my pride & joy and hang directly across from my desk in my home office. Mrs. Peruche & myself Orange Bowl seats. We took them with us on the night of November 10th, 2007. The Mrs had the plaque made and professionally frame. They will always be my favorite piece of art in my collection. @OriginalGatorHater

1575225568888.jpeg

1575225586343.jpeg

1575225786078.jpeg

Signed,

Peruche

For someone who has never been to the OB. Why was it such a massive advantage? Compared to like death valley or another place like that.

It was the team and winning that made it electric. Seen glimpses at Hard Rock a couple years back. OB brings nostalgia just like the glory of past teams. We need to move on. Once team starts winning we'll be less nostalgic about past.

Advertisement
Had season tickets at the OB for 5 years and experienced some amazing games but here is what I do not miss

--You sat on a bench - no chairbacks except for the few club seats (We'd sneak in whenever we could)
--No replay screen - If you missed the play--you missed the play, so most people just stayed in their seats
--Concession stand lines were crazy long
--Bathroom lines were crazy long to the point it was not uncommon for women to use the guys' bathroom.

What made the OB great were the great teams that played in it. I enjoy the Hard Rock game experience much more.

Advertisement
Back