Conspiracy for the U to stay buried.

Advertisement
There is no conspiracy to bury the University of Miami football program. I know this for a fact.

What's really happening is, a decision was made 10-15 years ago to sort of "reset" the football program so that it could generate a new culture that wouldn't continually embarrass the university. The administration is not opposed to the Hurricanes football team, or any other athletic program at the University of Miami, from achieving national success, or even dominance. What they are opposed to is the athletic department hurting and/or destroying the credibility of the academic/research side of the university. The old administration didn't care if people around the country viewed the University of Miami as "Thug U" or "the CoCanes". The new administration does. They are going to hire stable, clean-cut coaches to run the athletic programs, even if they aren't necessarily successful. They will keep trying to find coaches who can win and bring in revenue, but they won't let any of the sports within the athletic department becomes circuses, like football was from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s. They are all in favor of winning national titles if it can be done cleanly and without any negative attention to the university.

That's how it was explained to me.

So as we all suspected, forget championships with this crew. You wanna win it all? U gotta play a little dirty

@OriginalGatorHater
My bro...the feeling of being in the Orange Bowl was the equivalent of being in the Roman Colosseum and 75,000 of your brothers and sisters are giving a thumbs down....that meant death to the other team.
The West end zone was closed off and was so loud that many times the other team couldnt hear anything and would visably complain.
The stadium literally would shake and on major plays you would see later on TV highlights that the cameras were shaking as well.
Upper and lower decks were loud and on top of the field. On some occassions items would be thrown on field.
One game vs Vag tech...some stupid idiot gator fan came to WEZ with his gator jersey on. Mofos literally grabbed dude pounded on him...took his jersey off and then the jersey traveled all the way down to end zone on field...then moments after....he was thrown over on to field...beat the fvck up....while people kept chirping at him.
It was like Roman times savagery....like all the time...every game.

@OriginalGatorHater
My bro...the feeling of being in the Orange Bowl was the equivalent of being in the Roman Colosseum and 75,000 of your brothers and sisters are giving a thumbs down....that meant death to the other team.
The West end zone was closed off and was so loud that many times the other team couldnt hear anything and would visably complain.
The stadium literally would shake and on major plays you would see later on TV highlights that the cameras were shaking as well.
Upper and lower decks were loud and on top of the field. On some occassions items would be thrown on field.
One game vs Vag tech...some stupid idiot gator fan came to WEZ with his gator jersey on. Mofos literally grabbed dude pounded on him...took his jersey off and then the jersey traveled all the way down to end zone on field...then moments after....he was thrown over on to field...beat the fvck up....while people kept chirping at him.
It was like Roman times savagery....like all the time...every game.

That was a great fcking explanation brother. Really appreciate that. I literally felt like I was there reading it. Wow, we really fvcked up tearing that stadium down.

So as we all suspected, forget championships with this crew. You wanna win it all? U gotta play a little dirty

I don't know how high-level recruiting works in college football, so I'm not going to spend too much time speculating on that. Not every five-star player in the world took a bag of cash to attend the university they eventually attended. I'm sure some do/did, but not every single one. So there are great high school players out there who will come to the University of Miami without having to pay them under the table. At least I hope that is the case.

What we need to do is weather the Manny Diaz storm for the next 1-2 years, because, let's face it, they aren't going to fire him after just one season. But they will fire him after 1-2 seasons if things don't change, and it's then we need to hope the president/AD does a thorough search and finds a young up-and-comer who will come to the University of Miami on the cheap. Think about it. As recently as 2001, Urban Meyer was taking his first head coaching gig at Bowling Green, of all places. We basically need to find the next Urban Meyer on his way up. A guy who can totally turn around a moribund program. He's out there somewhere. We just need to find him. It's all about coaching. Everything starts with the head coach.

So things aren't as bleak as they may seem. We are on the down slope right now, but won't stay there forever. I'm convinced Manny is not the guy, so we just need to get through this short period before we can start rebuilding again. And while it is possible that we could replace Manny with an even worse coach, I don't think it is likely. Empty seats and dwindling ticket sales get the attention of the administration. Believe me. They would rather receive positive emails from the alums/fans than the constant stream of negativity they now receive. That is why I suspect they will be much more careful with the next coaching search, and will be willing to roll the dice a bit more. Things will get better. I truly believe the sun will rise on this program once again, and much sooner than the rest of you guys think.

Advertisement
I remember sitting in the very last row in the upper deck. I would move up there when we would start to blow teams out. There was no wall just a chain link fence between you and the 100 or whatever foot drop below. Some awesome views of Miami up there when the games were out of hand and we had the walk ons playing.

72452839.jpg

That was a great fcking explanation brother. Really appreciate that. I literally felt like I was there reading it. Wow, we really fvcked up tearing that stadium down.
Also....we didnt lose there for like a decade....58 straight...still an NCAA record that isn't close to being broken.
Oh and Night games were over for the opposing team before the games even started...Miami Fans....already drunk...at night....yeah...epic

Also....we didnt lose there for like a decade....58 straight...still an NCAA record that isn't close to being broken.
Oh and Night games were over for the opposing team before the games even started...Miami Fans....already drunk...at night....yeah...epic

Ya, I don't see that record ever being broken to be honest. That is a crazy record. I can only imagine how wild the night games at the OB were lmao.

Two words to describe the OB...

HOSTILE
and
UNCOMFORTABLE! (for visitors)

It was an absolute **** hole that teams/fans hated visiting. Everything from the local neighborhood that they had to drive though, the seats, the visitor's locker rooms, the riff raffs hanging outside the stadium, the insults from the home crowd, the deafening noise, etc...ALL MADE OUR VISITOR'S EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. But we freakin' loved it. It had character. It was so Miami.

I was a Canes ball boy for 3 seasons. Worked the visitor's sidelines many times. Lots of those teams looked extremely uncomfortable and down right frightened.
I had a visiting team's Pastor tell me that he's been with their team for 20 something years and this is the loudest stadium he's ever been in.

Advertisement
There is no conspiracy to bury the University of Miami football program. I know this for a fact.

What's really happening is, a decision was made 10-15 years ago to sort of "reset" the football program so that it could generate a new culture that wouldn't continually embarrass the university. The administration is not opposed to the Hurricanes football team, or any other athletic program at the University of Miami, from achieving national success, or even dominance. What they are opposed to is the athletic department hurting and/or destroying the credibility of the academic/research side of the university. The old administration didn't care if people around the country viewed the University of Miami as "Thug U" or "the CoCanes". The new administration does. They are going to hire stable, clean-cut coaches to run the athletic programs, even if they aren't necessarily successful. They will keep trying to find coaches who can win and bring in revenue, but they won't let any of the sports within the athletic department becomes circuses, like football was from the mid-80s to the mid-2000s. They are all in favor of winning national titles if it can be done cleanly and without any negative attention to the university.

And now the football team is embarrassing the university in other ways. By losing to FIU and barely qualifying for a bowl.

I wonder if the continual drop in academic rankings is consistent with the university's mission? Or how about the fact that Miami's endowment is less than half that of Pomona University or Grinnell College?

I would suspect those things are not. But the university is run by incompetents. Incompetent leadership begets stupid decisions, even if they mean well.

The University of Miami is more irrelevant today than it has ever been.

I'll add one more thing to what everyone has already pointed out - the crowd.

Visiting teams would drive their bus up to the stadium, and in those days Little Havana was rougher than it is today. I heard of many times when the visiting team's bus would be pelted by beer cans etc on the drive in

And then... the stadium attracted the good people local to the area, just like Hard Rock today attracts Broward dorks. Let's just say that the West End Zone had a different kind of rancor and personality than anything you'll find at Hard Rock.

I would say the Orange Bowl represented the real people of Miami in a way that the new stadium never will. And I think that translated on to the field and it got in to the heads of our opponents.

Indeed. It took far too long for someone in this thread to spotlight the area. Opponents faced metallic seats in the heart of an antagonistic city. It was like they had already been battered and insulted before stepping foot on the field. Nothing was contrived, in stark contrast to Hard Rock Stadium where everything is contrived. They not only had to build a roof but they desperately changed the seat colors from orange to aqua because orange seating showed too many empty seats...boo hoo.

I visited Miami from Las Vegas at Christmas 1986. My dad drove the family to the site of the new stadium, under construction. I couldn't believe what an irrelevant area it was in. Mile after mile of nothing, with the exception of the Calder barns.

We're supposed to win championships here?

The hilarious dependability is when fans praise Hard Rock due to central access from neighboring counties. Oh sure, that's Priority A for a college stadium. Certified no clue.

Schnellenberger was the only one who understood the need for an on-campus stadium. That would have been the equivalent of raising all ships. At least the Orange Bowl provided the devastating home field impact, even if connection to campus was absent.

I witnessed the entirety of the Dolphins 31 game home winning streak, and some of the Canes' 58. None of it was surprising in the least. In the current masquerade I'll be surprised only if either home occupant wins a championship.

getting rid of the OB was a BIG part of the Disneyfication of this program.

The OB was the most “soulful” arena in sports. It was very foreign the first time I went. I was a Canes fan all my life, and then a student from NYC, and it felt totally like a new ******* universe like you really were in a different culture. When Frank Gore beat FSU in overtime people actually fell bc of the shaking. Was incredible. Easiest place on earth for an 18 year old to drink too.

Miami finally got what it always wanted with the ACC, which was a guaranteed check refardless of performance. Once it did, all the old ways including that awesome venue were kicked to the curb. It will never be back. Period.

Advertisement
Advertisement
was lucky enough to be a kid growing up and attended pretty much every single one of those 58 straight. One thing people are not mentioning is just how dangerous it became.. due to the renovations never happening. I remember one of the last times i was there , there was a huge metal sign hanging from the upper deck (forgot what it said- may have said Orange Bowl). the sign broke off of one of the points holding it up. the other half was coming down too.. fans held it with all their might till security finally came over to help take it down. that thing falls, there may have been deaths!

Also, about the pipes being ****** in the visiters lockers room. never heard that, but totally makes sense as the downstairs bathroom on the canes side was even a mess, with pipes often leaking. You could walk through the bathroom, under the stadium and arrive to where the canes ran through the smoke. I'd do that to catch that up close once i got old enough to tell my folks, "i'll be back yo"

Soooooo in a nutshell, winning is not a priority.

4. for a Duke, GT, or FIU game there would have been 35k people and wouldn't have made a g-d difference

Actually - 35K in the Orange Bowl was a loud as any sold out stadium. In reality the stadium was a ****hole, the neighborhood was a ****hole, but there was something magical about the place. And it was loud - comparable to Hard Rock when we clobbered ND and VT a long 2 years ago.

Great Place to watch a game - on the Sunday after the L to Virginia drove by the stadium and walked to the middle of the field

BTW - we won bc we had players that would end up going to the Hall of Fame ..... period

Advertisement
Back