MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Question ?

If the ACC was to admit more teams and the ESPN GOR was adjusted to include those teams would that automatically void the original agreement that goes until 2036 or are those teams added and they just take another bite of the current agreement giving each team less than they are getting now?
And if this is voided and renegotiated to add other teams would that not release teams to bolt ?
Everything HAS TO BE NEGOTIATED and presented to the ACC members for 3/4 approval. SO ... no way the members will approve adding teams, increasing travel cost, and on top, receiving less money. Reality is it makes NO sense to add programs when they will not add actual value that would result in ALL PROGRAMS receiving more money.

Lot of interesting takes on "what's next" as far as the B10 / SEC taking ACC teams:

-One "PSU insider stated" We are in favor of UNC along with FSU that is the combo we prefer. We know there is mutual interest between FSU and the B10 but so far UNC has declined to comment".

-Several "connected" people are confident that both Clemson and FSU are back channeling a deal with the SEC ... if the ACC implodes.

-@Genetics 56 latest comment "Fox and the B10 Conference are 100% in agreement that the two priority programs they want to add are FSU / Clemson, then the ND scheduling deal. Miami will be in the B10 at some point in the future".

If by some miracle (and the answer to my Christmas wish) the ACC gets 8 or more votes to dissolve the ACC, this conference will disappear as fast as the Pac 12. Conferences will "re-evaluate their prior positions" and the gates will open, selectively, at the SEC, B10 and B12. Those left standing for a spell will be Wake and BC at least.

All that sounds more like “we’re ****ed” vs “we’re ******” to the folks keeping score at home without extra details…

Does the Big 12 have a GOR? If so, what is the length of it? Exit fee?

I'm just asking because I don't see the ACC adding Cal and Stanford without pulling in some fly over schools - like maybe 2 of Baylor, TCU, Houston?

Really doubtful, but just an idea. This is with the idea that TV negotiations would be reopened. Otherwise forget about it.

Advertisement
Who said miami isn’t getting a full share? Lol
Fear, unrest and lack of trusting the process has set in….
Based on the media evaluation that Fox has done the ACC properties that bring VIEWERS are, in order of priority:

-FSU
-Clemson
-ND
-Miami

If the SEC grabs FSU / Clemson, and the B10 does a scheduling deal (as is speculated) with ND, then next up is Miami and .... UNC? or whoever.
Oh I get that Miami is one of the top brands, I was just commenting that if what that tweet claimed was true (the SEC would only add 2 schools and they would be Clemson and FSU), from a business and leverage standpoint, why would the Big10 offer Miami a full share when they could almost certainly get them for less than one?

Previous to the Oregon/UW my thought would have been that although alignment is being run like a business, at least there seems to be some sense of respect between the schools and conferences wouldn't offer schools less, but after seeing them do it to Oregon and UW; unless the SEC was willing to get into a bidding war (and maybe they are, again I was going off the tweet which may or not be true) why would the Big10 offer us a full share?

Based on the media evaluation that Fox has done the ACC properties that bring VIEWERS are, in order of priority:

-FSU
-Clemson
-ND
-Miami

If the SEC grabs FSU / Clemson, and the B10 does a scheduling deal (as is speculated) with ND, then next up is Miami and .... UNC? or whoever.
How is ND not number 2 in that group?

Edit: Meant number 1

Last edited:
Oh I get that Miami is one of the top brands, I was just commenting that if what that tweet claimed was true (the SEC would only add 2 schools and they would be Clemson and FSU), from a business and leverage standpoint, why would the Big10 offer Miami a full share when they could almost certainly get them for less than one?

Previous to the Oregon/UW my thought would have been that although alignment is being run like a business, at least there seems to be some sense of respect between the schools and conferences wouldn't offer schools less, but after seeing them do it to Oregon and UW; unless the SEC was willing to get into a bidding war (and maybe they are, again I was going off the tweet which may or not be true) why would the Big10 offer us a full share?
Because FL is a new market for BiG10 and there contract states that would increase the payout for everyone. So why would BiG10 risk elevating everyones money to offer Miami less than full share

Advertisement
This is moarrrr down the line than any of us are concerned about right now but Bruce Feldman broached an interesting subject on Dan Patrick's show today. He essentially thinks that there will be 2 superconferences but that they're going to start booting/swapping out the weak links that are getting the full shares when their TV deals come up again. Was basically part of a premise that the Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue (Patrick's repeated suggestion), etc. types shouldn't feel permanently safe.

Not sure how much I agree but it would probably be the closest we'd ever see to relegation model mentioned around here in American sports. Except it'd be more of an exile model and mostly financial based instead of performance.

This is moarrrr down the line than any of us are concerned about right now but Bruce Feldman broached an interesting subject on Dan Patrick's show today. He essentially thinks that there will be 2 superconferences but that they're going to start booting/swapping out the weak links that are getting the full shares when their TV deals come up again. Was basically part of a premise that the Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue (Patrick's repeated suggestion), etc. types shouldn't feel permanently safe.

Not sure how much I agree but it would probably be the closest we'd ever see to relegation model mentioned around here in American sports. Except it'd be more of an exile model and mostly financial based instead of performance.
That would be so f*cked up. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The rivalry week games would be amazing...Bedlam, Texas Texas A&M, Iron Bowl, Egg Bowl, Miami FSU, Georgia Florida, VT UVA, Tennessee UNC, Clemson USCe, that's a lot of good games.
Who gets pinned with Tulane?! And where did UT UNC come from? Just because they’re both ugly highlighter versions of their primary color …

Advertisement
That would be so f*cked up. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.
It'll happen or the elites will just move on and form their own conference.

Eventually UGA and Bama or Ohio State and Michigan are not going to be happy making the same amount of money as Vandy and Mizzou or Indiana and Illinois.

Reading through the tweets, news, and other garbage …

We really are an afterthought. It’s Clemson and FSU. And then everyone else. Might as well lump us in with Wake. Sad to see but that’s the sad reality of being mediocre for two decades.
20 years of wet diarrhea **** type leadership thats gushin’ out of the Hecht Center will have you lumped up with Wake

Advertisement
Reading through the tweets, news, and other garbage …

We really are an afterthought. It’s Clemson and FSU. And then everyone else. Might as well lump us in with Wake. Sad to see but that’s the sad reality of being mediocre for two decades.
You have to remember that the media execs are thinking long term. They're not 20, 30, or 40 year olds and can only remember the last 20 years of college football. A lot of these execs grew up during our dominance.

They know college football is cyclical and there are programs and brand out there that CAN be elite assets for media. Somebody like Cal, Washington State etc, they've never and will never be elite. Imagine if this was all happening 15 years ago. Where would Clemson be?

For 20 years of their life, Miami was the most dominant team in college football. We drew the most eyes..the FSU/Miami rivalry was the most important one for 15+ years. Miami vs ND. Miami vs Nebraska/Florida/Penn State.

This isn't just about "what have you done for me lately". This is about "which brand CAN be the biggest and draw the most viewers"?

They already know Miami is in that category.

Any concern from the SEC that they are locked into a 10 year deal with one media entity… ESPN that is in a terrible financial situation?

ESPN wouldn’t or couldn’t even pay them more to go from 8 to 9 conference games… are they going to pay more to add new conference members?

Advertisement
Back