MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

And if this happened, what would be the Big10's motivation be to give Miami a full share? What leverage would Miami (or UNC, etc) have?
No clue what Miami’s leverage would be. But I can speak to UNC.

Currently they have no leverage to go anywhere. They’ve been trying to get into the SEC since all of this stuff started. But the NC legislature is trying to force UNC and NC State to be a package deal. That’s really left them on the outs and why their AD publicly said they weren’t leaving the ACC last Friday.

Advertisement
No clue what Miami’s leverage would be. But I can speak to UNC.

Currently they have no leverage to go anywhere. They’ve been trying to get into the SEC since all of this stuff started. But the NC legislature is trying to force UNC and NC State to be a package deal. That’s really left them on the outs and why their AD publicly said they weren’t leaving the ACC last Friday.
lol California tried to do the same with Cal. Guess what UCLA did? Said duces. the UCs do some rev-sharing between eachothers athletic department though, so in a way it's still good for Cal. Not sure if NCSt has that or not. I mean they're doing the right thing trying to get them in. But at the end of the day if UNC can get a SEC invite, I think it highly unlikely they turn it down if NCSt isn't in.

How is ND not number 2 in that group?

Edit: Meant number 1
The list is in order of VIEWERSHIP ..... a list was compiled of GAMES WITH 4 MILLION OR MORE VIEWERS SINCE 2012:

FSU 27 games (16 ACC and 11 oof)
Clemson 25 games ( 19 ACC and 6 oof)
ND 12 games (4/8)
Miami 10 games (6/4)

Reality is ND will 99% be a scheduling arrangement so the actual pick order would be FSU - Clemson - Miami. ND is realistically the #1 choice of every conference if they would actually consider joining.

I don't see the percentages in theB1G giving ND a scheduling agreement. Without it they don't get a big tv deal and they either join a conference or play army, Navy etc every year and their ratings go in the crapper

Advertisement
Hard to see one conference. Too many people wanting to hold on to power. They will break from the NCAA and that is probably a foregone conclusion. This is all very interesting, all eyes are on FSU and if they do anything before 8/15. BTW word I hear from Clemson folks is they prefer the Big 10 over the SEC and not even close. These are bigger booster types and not admins. Very much like Miami, real info is not leaking. But the sentiment to the Big 10 appears well known. Mostly because they really are enjoying their academic rise and feel the Big 10 takes them even higher.

David Lake had a pretty good point on the 247 podcast. He said it's pretty much a TV war between Fox (BIG) and ESPN(SEC). Fox is going for a national TV market for the Big 10 while the SEC is still pretty regional. With ESPN owning ACC rights too, they have one of three options to make regarding the ACC football programs (FSU, Clemson, UM, UNC and Virginia). They can stand pat and allow the ACC to eventually dissolve and lose those markets to the BIG 10. They can re-negotiate a bigger TV contract with the ACC to keep the broadcast rights. Or they can offer the big football programs SEC membership just to keep those markets (Florida and the Carolinas are big TV markets and only growing bigger) from going to FOX.

Someone has probably explained this and I missed it.
Wouldnt ESPN make off better (save money) by allowing the ACC to disband, provided it was able negotiate/steer their top 4 choices to the SEC? FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA?

Instead of paying out the ACC members 30 mil year = 360mil, they can use that money to pay fof new members and increase other members a percentage more and they would have that many more quality games to put on their networks, as opposed to many mid matchups the ACC has?

Advertisement
Someone has probably explained this and I missed it.
Wouldnt ESPN make off better (save money) by allowing the ACC to disband, provided it was able negotiate/steer their top 4 choices to the SEC? FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA?

Instead of paying out the ACC members 30 mil year = 360mil, they can use that money to pay fof new members and increase other members a percentage more and they would have that many more quality games to put on their networks, as opposed to many mid matchups the ACC has?
ESPN is either going to eventually have the ACC's top programs join the SEC or lose them to the BIG 10. It's just a matter of when, not if.

ESPN is either going to eventually have the ACC's top programs join the SEC or lose them to the BIG 10. It's just a matter of when, not if.
If the SEC doesn't want to take on all the "valuable" ACC brands, the other option is that ESPN negotiates a few of the ACC teams to transfer to the B1G and reduce or remove the GOR completely and in exchange the B1G gives them some games.

If the SEC doesn't want to take on all the "valuable" ACC brands, the other option is that ESPN negotiates a few of the ACC teams to transfer to the B1G and reduce or remove the GOR completely and in exchange the B1G gives them some games.
The problem with this as long as the ACC conference exists is that the GOR is an agreement signed between the school and the ACC conference. They can leave by paying $120M but the ACC is then supposed to retain the media rights until 2036. ESPN broadcasts the home games and the ACC conference receives the money. Only viable solution is to dissolve the ACC.

Advertisement
ESPN doesn't have broadcast rights to the Big 10. Either They convince the SEC to take the ACC teams or they lose those markets to FOX.

The problem with this as long as the ACC conference exists is that the GOR is an agreement signed between the school and the ACC conference. They can leave by paying $120M but the ACC is then supposed to retain the media rights until 2036. ESPN broadcasts the home games and the ACC conference receives the money. Only viable solution is to dissolve the ACC.
Maybe i don't fully understand it but he's how I understand it.

We signed our media rights to the ACC.
ESPN bought those right so now essentially they own the rights.
They could "give them back to us" in exchange for some media from the B1G/Fox etc to get their foot in the door.

B1G gets Miami.
Miami gets out of GOR
ESPN gets extra broadcasting rights from B1G

ESPN doesn't have broadcast rights to the Big 10. Either They convince the SEC to take the ACC teams or they lose those markets to FOX.
They own the broadcast rights to ACC teams..they could exchange those rights to allow the ACC teams into the B1G in exchange for the B1G/FOX giving them some media/games to broadcast.

Advertisement

They could "give them back to us" in exchange for some media from the B1G/Fox etc to get their foot in the door.

B1G gets Miami.
Miami gets out of GOR
The problem with "our understanding" is that it isn't black and white there is a ton of grey area. ESPN has the rights to broadcast to generate revenue for ACCN ... but then they also have the obligation to pay THE CONFERENCE not the individual members. I believe it is going to take a negotiated settlement with the ACC / ESPN for any individual program regarding "buyback or movement of GOR rights".

B1G gets Miami.
Miami gets out of GOR
and everybody lives happily ever after

Some dude that reportedly has some contacts with ESPN stated:

-ESPN doesn't want the B12 to expand any more adding programs that might cause more dominoes to fall (ie, provide a landing spot for ACC teams).
-ESPN doesn't want the SEC to add teams that would cost them more money at this time.
-ESPN wants to get Stanford / Cal into the ACC and throw a little more money to FSU and Clemson and "call it a day".

ESPN trying to exert pressure to limit new conference options for the 8 programs in the ACC that could vote to dissolve.

Some dude that reportedly has some contacts with ESPN stated:

-ESPN doesn't want the B12 to expand any more adding programs that might cause more dominoes to fall (ie, provide a landing spot for ACC teams).
-ESPN doesn't want the SEC to add teams that would cost them more money at this time.
-ESPN wants to get Stanford / Cal into the ACC and throw a little more money to FSU and Clemson and "call it a day".

ESPN trying to exert pressure to limit new conference options for the 8 programs in the ACC that could vote to dissolve.
How Do I say this

**** espn

Advertisement
Back