MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

That whole "prefer the SEC" just doesn't make sense to me for UNC in particular; same would apply to UVA. These are nationally respected academic institutions and being in the B1G would open up a ton of research opportunities in addition to the athletic side, if I understand things correctly. If we were talking FSU and Clemson, that would make more sense to the SEC.
If you think about sports here, the money maker, it makes sense. We are talking about moving to an athletic conference. Football is one thing but basketball and even baseball makes more sense. Additionally, I think from a women's team perspective the SEC makes more sense as well although I admit I've never really studied or heard a lot about big ten woman's sports.

Advertisement
It would seem to be a better fit academically but I have seen comments on the "BIG expansion thread" on Twitter from a guy who claims to be close to UNC stating they prefer the SEC.

The alumni & fanbase prefer the SEC. The faculty and academics prefer the BIG.

So your "law partner" sent you a document that is widely available on the internet. Good for you.

Yes, the Grant of Rights was extended. With no mutual consideration.

I keep my bathroom stocked with your enforceability opinions, though many find your 1-ply nonsense to be too abrasive.

I have the amendement, I don't think that's widely available on the internet. It's a 27 page pdf, if someone wants to read it and knows how to post it here I'll send it over. I don't see an attachment link on this forum.

I think we're leaving the ACC, no question. I've been saying that for years. But I also think anyone saying that getting out of the ACC will be some kind of cakewalk is selling you guys something. It will get done, I believe that... but by no means does that make it easy or simple.

Also, just because a lawyer tells you guys something doesn't make it so. There's an inherent unpredictablity in the legal system... sometimes you get the wrong judge or jury on the wrong day and get a crap ruling. It happens and it needs to factor in to decision making.

Just my experience as a risk manager working with corporate attorneys nearly every day... lawyers always think they're going to win. And sometimes you can be right, you can have all the right legal arguments, and you just land a bad roll of the dice.

My money is on the bet that we leave, but it comes with a long drawn out legal battle - that's whether we disolve the ACC outright or try to get out of the GOR. Either way, we're ending up in court IMO. It will be long, and it will be expensive, but in the end it will be the right move for Miami.

The alumni & fanbase prefer the SEC. The faculty and academics prefer the BIG.
Anecdotal obviously but based on the people I know that went to UNC and UVag and some that are around those schools now- there's no chance they prefer SEC "culturally".

The non-alumni segments of the fanbases within those states are probably more receptive to it.

That said, $$$ and actual invites will determine the outcomes here more than image/culture preferences but I stand by my initial assertion in a scenario where there's an actual choice to be made by those schools because both offers are somewhat similar.

Advertisement
Anecdotal obviously but based on the people I know that went to UNC and UVag and some that are around those schools now- there's no chance they prefer SEC "culturally".

The non-alumni segments of the fanbases within those states are probably more receptive to it.

That said, $$$ and actual invites will determine the outcomes here more than image/culture preferences but I stand by my initial assertion in a scenario where there's an actual choice to be made by those schools because both offers are somewhat similar.
UVA is a lock for the big 10. UNC could go either way imo.

Just curious, if Notre Dame holds out, would B10 still want to expand with Miani and another school? Would it be dependent on the “right” school, whether that be FSU or UNC?

Advertisement

Exactly. And UNC and UVA don't do nearly as much for the B10 for FOOTBALL as Miami, ND, Clemson, FSU. And I've already said I think Oregon is better than UVA. For Football ratings VTech probably is too.
CBS, Fox, and NBC want to fill their timeslots with Miami v Ohio State, not UVA vs Illinois...
B10 if they get us and ND, needs to go all out for FSU, since it seems Clemson is SEC bound. Promise to grease some wheels so FSU gets AAU in 2 years...

Best outcome at this point seems like it'd be
B10 - Miami, ND, FSU, VTech ... then by 2030 we're talking Oregon, Washington and maybe like Stanford, TCU, Cal, etc.
SEC - Clemson, UNC, and UVA. If they want 4, Either GTech/NCSt or even OKSt.

Just curious, if Notre Dame holds out, would B10 still want to expand with Miani and another school? Would it be dependent on the “right” school, whether that be FSU or UNC?
If the B10 can get FSU and Miami ... they will take them both. The "B10 guy" that is tweeting daily regarding realignment said that the B10 will take ND and 3 ACC programs OR will take 4 ACC programs and most likely negotiate some partial alliance with ND similar to their current ACC "alliance". He has stated, as far as "invitations" and acceptance into the B10 ... ND and Miami are in if they want, and FSU now has an invitation as well. The PAC NW program additions are all on hold pending resolution of the ACC situation as that market expansion is a priority ($$$).

Exactly. And UNC and UVA don't do nearly as much for the B10 for FOOTBALL as Miami, ND, Clemson, FSU. And I've already said I think Oregon is better than UVA. For Football ratings VTech probably is too.
CBS, Fox, and NBC want to fill their timeslots with Miami v Ohio State, not UVA vs Illinois...
B10 if they get us and ND, needs to go all out for FSU, since it seems Clemson is SEC bound. Promise to grease some wheels so FSU gets AAU in 2 years...

Best outcome at this point seems like it'd be
B10 - Miami, ND, FSU, VTech ... then by 2030 we're talking Oregon, Washington and maybe like Stanford, TCU, Cal, etc.
SEC - Clemson, UNC, and UVA. If they want 4, Either GTech/NCSt or even OKSt.
For some reason @Genetics 56 (the Big 10 Twitter guy) believes that the SEC will add UNC and UVA to secure the "heart of SEC country" from B10 invasion, even though UVA and to a degree UNC seem more academically fit for the B10. He sees the B10 negotiating a scheduling agreement with ND as ND is still too strong on maintaining independence. That might change after the Big 2 conferences take over "the path to the playoffs" as is expected. Then he sees the B10 adding Miami, FSU, Va Tech and Ga Tech (in spite of Ga Tech being a weak FB program). That would get the B10 into the TV market from Miami, through the state of Florida, into Georgia and Virginia, and also strengthen B10 recruiting in those regions.

For some reason @Genetics 56 (the Big 10 Twitter guy) believes that the SEC will add UNC and UVA to secure the "heart of SEC country" from B10 invasion, even though UVA and to a degree UNC seem more academically fit for the B10. He sees the B10 negotiating a scheduling agreement with ND as ND is still too strong on maintaining independence. That might change after the Big 2 conferences take over "the path to the playoffs" as is expected. Then he sees the B10 adding Miami, FSU, Va Tech and Ga Tech (in spite of Ga Tech being a weak FB program). That would get the B10 into the TV market from Miami, through the state of Florida, into Georgia and Virginia, and also strengthen B10 recruiting in those regions.
The reason is pretty simple, UNC and UVA bring very little to the table when it comes to football and ratings, and that is by far the main driving force.

I'll put it like this, what exactly does UVA provide that Stanford doesn't to the B10? If UVA has an invite, why wouldn't Stanford or Cal? Yet repeatedly we have seen they do not have invites yet. Maybe by 2030 they will.

Now UNC obviously is far more valuable than UVA - that shouldn't even really be debatable. So would I be surprised if they got B10 invite? Not at all. But I do believe they would come after Miami, ND, FSU, and Clemson at least from the Fox/NBC/CBS perspective. Then you maybe remove Clemson because they don't meet B10 academic criteria or whatever - even though I think it's a mistake. So you put UNC as that 4th school up. But the SEC could likely value UNC as their top addition. It's the biggest state in the south that the SEC isn't already in. And obviously has a great brand.

I just think B10 needs to go all out for ND, Miami, and FSU. After those 3, I think settling on VTech (and maybe GTech and oregon, whoever) if SEC gets UNC+UVA is a great tradeoff.

Advertisement
The reason is pretty simple, UNC and UVA bring very little to the table when it comes to football and ratings, and that is by far the main driving force.

I'll put it like this, what exactly does UVA provide that Stanford doesn't to the B10? If UVA has an invite, why wouldn't Stanford or Cal? Yet repeatedly we have seen they do not have invites yet. Maybe by 2030 they will.

Now UNC obviously is far more valuable than UVA - that shouldn't even really be debatable. So would I be surprised if they got B10 invite? Not at all. But I do believe they would come after Miami, ND, FSU, and Clemson at least from the Fox/NBC/CBS perspective. Then you maybe remove Clemson because they don't meet B10 academic criteria or whatever - even though I think it's a mistake. So you put UNC as that 4th school up. But the SEC could likely value UNC as their top addition. It's the biggest state in the south that the SEC isn't already in. And obviously has a great brand.

I just think B10 needs to go all out for ND, Miami, and FSU. After those 3, I think settling on VTech (and maybe GTech and oregon, whoever) if SEC gets UNC+UVA is a great tradeoff.
The B10 does not get any major addition by adding Stanford or Cal ... they already have the cream of California football in USC and UCLA. UNC and UVA expand the geographic footprint into the heart of SEC country both for viewership and for recruiting. The B10 would take ND on a media agreement package similar to the ACC, and add Miami, FSU, UNC and UVA in a heartbeat.

The B10 does not get any major addition by adding Stanford or Cal ... they already have the cream of California football in USC and UCLA. UNC and UVA expand the geographic footprint into the heart of SEC country both for viewership and for recruiting. The B10 would take ND on a media agreement package similar to the ACC, and add Miami, FSU, UNC and UVA in a heartbeat.
Geographic footprint if you are talking about states, yes. And that is worth something for the B10s deal. But Stanford is in an area entirely different than than LA market. They're literally further away than UVA is to PSU, and far further than UVA is to Maryland. Stanford is in a larger market. It is a superior school academically - or at least more prestigious, has a better brand, and is basically as good or better in pretty much every sport UVA excels in, except maybe Basketball.

What does UVA provide that VTech doesn't? VTech would be expanding the geographic footprint. So would GTech...

I think B10 may want UNC and even UVA. But I'm saying I doubt the Media partners do. You need agreement From B10 and from Fox/NBC/CBS. That's why it'd be ND > Miami/FSU > Clemson/UNC (B10 doesn't like Clemsons fit academically, Media won't think UNC is as important for ratings) > UVA/VTech/Oregon/GTech...

1689208984335.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back