MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I agree with Fiinebum, the SEC is betting on brand over markets. Not sure if I agree with the strategy but I understand it. Rules (or lack thereof) are in their favor to be elite. Adding FSU, Clemson, VA and UNC is a game changer for them.

Big 10 better convince ND to join and explore other options should those programs head to SEC.

ND has to eventually see the writing on the wall. Once the B1G makes their next move and the SEC they'll essentially be able to push the Domers aside.

The college football landscape is heading towards a NFL type setup with two power conferences running the majority of the show. Big 12 has a decent television deal right now, but unfortunately for them the gap is only going to get bigger for that conference also. There's no reason for NBC to pay ND to the level of the SEC or B1G either. ND to the B1G is only a matter of time in my opinion.

I will say that I'm surprised that the SEC would not also put up more of a fight to get Miami as well. We are still a solid brand in a sizable TV market. With them being regionally focused it doesn't make sense for them to allow the B1G to have exposer and access to South Florida by getting Miami on board. If they want to sure up their region they would take the following four to get the 20.
  • Clemson
  • FSU
  • Miami
  • UNC
They would lock up Florida and South Carolina. In addition, add a brand new North Carolina market. Regardless, I do feel better that we won't be left out in any scenario as we'll be part of one of the big two.

Advertisement
And you have no idea what terms, conditions and stipulations the GOR actually contains. One individual that has read the entire agreement felt that it was a "malleable document" due to the fact that it contained "comparable revenue clauses" for several programs which potentially provide an out for those programs. The issue of lack of mutual consideration is on it's own that could be the basis for negating the GOR. There is a reason that attorneys for several programs initiated action a week ago ... and it wasn't to waste time and spend money frivolously. There is also the simple fact that conference realignment provides the "Big 2" conferences, provides both the B10 and SECN (owned by ESPN) with tremendous opportunities for significant increases in programming revenue. A combination of litigation and negotiation will arrive at a settlement of some nature and select teams will leave the ACC or the ACC will simply be dissolved. The status quo will not be maintained for 5, 10, or 13 years.
My law partner from UNC sent me what he says is the GOR. Dated from 2013 with a term until 2027. So I guess there was a subsequent amendment. I've given enforceability opinions for less. Looks iron clad.

ND has to eventually see the writing on the wall. Once the B1G makes their next move and the SEC they'll essentially be able to push the Domers aside.

The college football landscape is heading towards a NFL type setup with two power conferences running the majority of the show. Big 12 has a decent television deal right now, but unfortunately for them the gap is only going to get bigger for that conference also. There's no reason for NBC to pay ND to the level of the SEC or B1G either. ND to the B1G is only a matter of time in my opinion.

I will say that I'm surprised that the SEC would not also put up more of a fight to get Miami as well. We are still a solid brand in a sizable TV market. With them being regionally focused it doesn't make sense for them to allow the B1G to have exposer and access to South Florida by getting Miami on board. If they want to sure up their region they would take the following four to get the 20.
  • Clemson
  • FSU
  • Miami
  • UNC
They would lock up Florida and South Carolina. In addition, add a brand new North Carolina market. Regardless, I do feel better that we won't be left out in any scenario as we'll be part of one of the big two.
Did read one comment stating that the SEC under no condition would ever consider taking two additional Florida programs since UF has been an SEC program since inception. FSU would be a possible take but not Miami as a small private university in a large city doesn't fit the SEC norm.

My law partner from UNC sent me what he says is the GOR. Dated from 2013 with a term until 2027. So I guess there was a subsequent amendment. I've given enforceability opinions for less. Looks iron clad.

So your "law partner" sent you a document that is widely available on the internet. Good for you.

Yes, the Grant of Rights was extended. With no mutual consideration.

I keep my bathroom stocked with your enforceability opinions, though many find your 1-ply nonsense to be too abrasive.

Did read one comment stating that the SEC under no condition would ever consider taking two additional Florida programs since UF has been an SEC program since inception. FSU would be a possible take but not Miami as a small private university in a large city doesn't fit the SEC norm.

That's true we don't fit most of their norms, but there is also Vanderbilt that's in our same mold. This is an arms race in regards to these Big 2. Just feel it's unwise to allow your competitor access to your region when you have the opportunity to lock it up. I've definitely warmed up to the B1G and would be pretty excited about a good bit of those matchups.

Tier 1
OSU
Michigan
Penn St
Nebraska
ND
USC
UCLA

Tier 2
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan St

Tier 3
Iowa
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois
Maryland

Tier 4
Rutgers

Advertisement
I have that document and it is a 4 page document ... the revised one is 30-40 pages and reportedly DOES contain "comparable remuneration clauses" for several (not all) programs. Also .. "you're guessing there was a subsequent amendment???". It has been stated many times in this thread that a totally new GOR was drafted ... 30-40 pages ... and that was the one with the extension to 2036. That is the one that very few have seen.

not much in this world is "iron clad" there is a way out of every contract

I agree with Fiinebum, the SEC is betting on brand over markets. Not sure if I agree with the strategy but I understand it. Rules (or lack thereof) are in their favor to be elite. Adding FSU, Clemson, VA and UNC is a game changer for them.

Big 10 better convince ND to join and explore other options should those programs head to SEC.
Seems to me the Big10 needs to go all out for one of FSU/Clemson, regardless what happens with Us/ND. ... But yeah they also absolutely need to get ND to be full member.

I know when all this first started you were saying you thought we were going SEC... So I assume you now think it's almost (>80%) guarantee we're choosing B10?

Imo if B10 gets ND, Miami, FSU, and VTech, that would be great. Only better scenario would be getting Clemson and Oregon also, and settling at 22 for a while. At least imo.

Advertisement
Seems to me the Big10 needs to go all out for one of FSU/Clemson, regardless what happens with Us/ND. ... But yeah they also absolutely need to get ND to be full member.

I know when all this first started you were saying you thought we were going SEC... So I assume you now think it's almost (>80%) guarantee we're choosing B10?

Imo if B10 gets ND, Miami, FSU, and VTech, that would be great. Only better scenario would be getting Clemson and Oregon also, and settling at 22 for a while. At least imo.
Clemson is not a take for the B10, they already met and that was reportedly the decision. Main focus for next expansion round is ACC programs. Will see how it breaks out.

Personally I think it’s 95% sure it’s BIG10

Advertisement
This thread is like watching a NASCAR restrictor plate race and an endless loop…

goes around and around then there is a big crash…and another and another … then the loop starts again…
That’s what I’m here for. Well, that and the snacks.

Advertisement
I cannot stress this enough. UNC will not be in the SEC. They are Big 10 bound, with us. Clemson Fsu to SEC
It would seem to be a better fit academically but I have seen comments on the "BIG expansion thread" on Twitter from a guy who claims to be close to UNC stating they prefer the SEC.

It would seem to be a better fit academically but I have seen comments on the "BIG expansion thread" on Twitter from a guy who claims to be close to UNC stating they prefer the SEC.
That whole "prefer the SEC" just doesn't make sense to me for UNC in particular; same would apply to UVA. These are nationally respected academic institutions and being in the B1G would open up a ton of research opportunities in addition to the athletic side, if I understand things correctly. If we were talking FSU and Clemson, that would make more sense to the SEC.

That whole "prefer the SEC" just doesn't make sense to me for UNC in particular; same would apply to UVA. These are nationally respected academic institutions and being in the B1G would open up a ton of research opportunities in addition to the athletic side, if I understand things correctly. If we were talking FSU and Clemson, that would make more sense to the SEC.
What makes sense to us doesn’t necessarily mean that is what the conferences want. One guy fairly well connected in the SEC said they actually have UNC and UVA ahead of Clemson and FSU. Might force FSU to go B10 since they do have an invite.

Advertisement
Back