MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Just scanned over this thread. I’m of the understanding it’s BI0 or bust. Looks like a lot of the “inside” folks have heard it’s as good as done. However this uncertainty will start impacting recruiting soon. I didn’t catch a timeframe in here. Is this in the next few year’s timeframe or nah?

Advertisement
Just scanned over this thread. I’m of the understanding it’s BI0 or bust. Looks like a lot of the “inside” folks have heard it’s as good as done. However this uncertainty will start impacting recruiting soon. I didn’t catch a timeframe in here. Is this in the next few year’s timeframe or nah?
I don’t buy the uncertainty. The worst case is they’re in the ACC like everybody already assumes they are or they’re trading up. It’s not a conversation about going downhill. If they would consider Miami in acc, they definitely would in big 10

I’m of the mindset that there will be steps public potentially this summer, but certainly by June 30 of next year at the latest. And then moved to a new conference within 2 to 3 years after that - we shall see though it’s very much an 8d chess thing with a lot of different players with different agendas. But LOL to those thinking 2036. joke.

here’s an example – ESPN, which is a total **** show right now. They may move in theory, and this is just my take, but not uninformed, to possibly be happy with not having to pay the ACC anymore for anything if it were to dissolve, especially if they knew that a couple of the prime properties were just going to come into another deal that they’re already gonna be paying for and offers more return, namely, the SEC.

Some of you might think that sounds crazy and I would’ve agreed a year ago, but ESPN is in dire straits right now, as is Disney in general, especially with Indiana Jones potentially about to lose $300 million on top of a lot of other things going on, and Im not talking about politics. So although I don’t think that’s a likely scenario, I think anyone that really thinks they know everything is completely delusional.

That said I would be more than comfortable putting 10% or more of my portfolio in buying stock in Miami in the big 10 before 2030 hits and potentially a few years ahead of that.

2026 is a big year for many reasons

Last edited:
I don’t buy the uncertainty. The worst case is they’re in the ACC like everybody already assumes they are or they’re trading up. It’s not a conversation about going downhill. If they would consider Miami in acc, they definitely would in big 10

I’m of the mindset that there will be steps public potentially this summer, but certainly by June 30 of next year at the latest. And then moved to a new conference within 2 to 3 years after that - we shall see though it’s very much an 8d chess thing with a lot of different players with different agendas. But LOL to those thinking 2036. joke.

here’s an example – ESPN, which is a total **** show right now. They may move in theory, and this is just my take, but not uninformed, to possibly be happy with not having to pay the ACC anymore for anything if it were to dissolve, especially if they knew that a couple of the prime properties were just going to come into another deal that they’re already gonna be paying for and offers more return, namely, the SEC.

Some of you might think that sounds crazy and I would’ve agreed a year ago, but ESPN is in dire straits right now, as is Disney in general, especially with Indiana Jones potentially about to lose $300 million on top of a lot of other things going on, and Im not talking about politics. So although I don’t think that’s a likely scenario, I think anyone that really thinks they know everything is completely delusional.

That said I would be more than comfortable putting 10% or more of my portfolio in buying stock in Miami in the big 10 before 2030 hits and potentially a few years ahead of that.

I can see the gator saying that Miami is stuck in the ACC for so many more years and if you want to play "real football" come to UF as a recruiting ploy

the new Indy was not that bad either...it had moments it felt like the old days.....it was an improvement over Crystal Skull

Advertisement
One thing I don't understand about the SEC's tactics is the lack of even a bluff of national aspirations in relation to expansion. I absolutely don't believe they're as content as some may think in relation to adding schools but they have to realize that this is obviously headed toward a two superconference setup- largely due to their own actions.

Okay, so if your main competitor in this new arms race is the B1G then why do you cede them the right to add any school west of Texas at their leisure? That posture allows the B1G to essentially tell Washington and Oregon/Stanford/Cal that "we'll get to ya when we get to ya" as they then apparently* focus on schools in the southeast/mid-atlantic that would seemingly be the only ones of interest and value to any future SEC expansion.

I obviously think the SEC will be very strong in the future as they'll be one of two superconferences but I also think their hubris in remaining regional is going to permanently make them the little brother of that dynamic. Sooner rather than later you might hear some questioning of their leadership if/when the B1G raids their own backyard.

I agree with Fiinebum, the SEC is betting on brand over markets. Not sure if I agree with the strategy but I understand it. Rules (or lack thereof) are in their favor to be elite. Adding FSU, Clemson, VA and UNC is a game changer for them.

Big 10 better convince ND to join and explore other options should those programs head to SEC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well crystal skull was terrrrrrible

I read an article recently that said the original version (written by Frank Darabont over the course of a full year) was a great version and was well-liked by Spielberg, but that Lucas vetoed it.

The key takeaway (of course) is that there was no Shia LaBeouf character in the good version.

Seems logical that, if enough parties want out of the ACC agreement, there will be material breaches on many sides, forcing a renegotiation, or heavy litigation to settle the damages of moving on from the conference.

If the ACC entity wishes to endure, it'd better start working on it, now.

Advertisement
Seems logical that, if enough parties want out of the ACC agreement, there will be material breaches on many sides, forcing a renegotiation, or heavy litigation to settle the damages of moving on from the conference.

If the ACC entity wishes to endure, it'd better start working on it, now.
Would the TV money will be able to compete with the SEC and B10 conferences. Whoever stays will be playing behind the 8 ball so to speak if not. Which I’m of the assumption it’s not even close.

And you talk like a scared rookie.
Hah. It's fine to breach a contract, paying the exit fee or negotiating a lower fee. Like Univ of Texas, USC, Maryland, etc. But an absolute assignment doesn't have any wiggle room. It's a different level of commitment.

You are right in that normally the business decisions win out over the legal ones. But the GOR is the trump card here unfortunately.

Hah. It's fine to breach a contract, paying the exit fee or negotiating a lower fee. Like Univ of Texas, USC, Maryland, etc. But an absolute assignment doesn't have any wiggle room. It's a different level of commitment.

You are right in that normally the business decisions win out over the legal ones. But the GOR is the trump card here unfortunately.

Wrong.

You are wrong in everything you say. You either don't know, or you refuse to acknowledge, the grounds on which the grant was made and extended.

You want to keep schticking it up with your "smug jerkoff who thinks the Grant of Rights is valid, enforceable, and inescapable", well then you need to do so in Purgatory.

Stop telling lies about how an "absolute assignment" is a "different level of commitment" that "doesn't have any wiggle room". The Grant of Rights is a contract, just like any other contract. A document that should have had consideration that was mutually beneficial to all parties. Which simply is not the case with the extension of the Grant of Rights.

Advertisement
I agree with Fiinebum, the SEC is betting on brand over markets. Not sure if I agree with the strategy but I understand it. Rules (or lack thereof) are in their favor to be elite. Adding FSU, Clemson, VA and UNC is a game changer for them.

Big 10 better convince ND to join and explore other options should those programs head to SEC.
I saw that yesterday too. It's an interesting strategy but I tend to dismiss it when it comes from SEC shills like Pawllll because they kinda HAVE to say that as the SEC by geography alone is always (sans more creative expansion) going to be at a disadvantage market-wise.

The reason I think it's a potentially very bad move against the B1G is that you're now solely competing against a conference with legacy brands, way larger alumni bases (https://www.universitymagazine.ca/the-biggest-college-alumni-networks-in-the-u-s/) AND one that already has bigger markets and is scooping up even bigger ones.

If you're the SEC you're creating much less margin for error by essentially assuming that you'll continue the recent dominance that Baga gave you and Jawja might* be continuing as you put all of your eggs in the strong "brand" basket- even as you actually have no idea how sustainable that'll be in the uncharted waters we're about to enter.

My guess is that SEC domination will prove to have been much easier to sustain when you had the dilution of 5 conferences and 4 were basically asleep as their university presidents allowed the SEC to run the NCAA. That dynamic ain't happening again when it's only 2 conferences and the biggest city in one of them is essentially Atlanta.

It definitely seems closer to 26 than 36…those thinking differently don’t seem to be paying attention…or are merely ******* with us

And you have no idea what terms, conditions and stipulations the GOR actually contains. One individual that has read the entire agreement felt that it was a "malleable document" due to the fact that it contained "comparable revenue clauses" for several programs which potentially provide an out for those programs. The issue of lack of mutual consideration is on it's own that could be the basis for negating the GOR. There is a reason that attorneys for several programs initiated action a week ago ... and it wasn't to waste time and spend money frivolously. There is also the simple fact that conference realignment provides the "Big 2" conferences, provides both the B10 and SECN (owned by ESPN) with tremendous opportunities for significant increases in programming revenue. A combination of litigation and negotiation will arrive at a settlement of some nature and select teams will leave the ACC or the ACC will simply be dissolved. The status quo will not be maintained for 5, 10, or 13 years.

the new Indy was not that bad either...it had moments it felt like the old days.....it was an improvement over Crystal Skull
Cool. I want to go see it. It's got a really good audience score on rotten tomatoes.

Advertisement
Back