MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Leaving the ACC costs $120M. I'd imagine there is no installment plan for that.

Breaking the GOR is unknown. There are no damages, per se. Supposedly, ESPN and the ACCN would still have the rights to broadcast our games, so that is "kinda-sorta" like paying on an annual basis?

Of course (and let me blow your mind here), what if ESPN continued to broadcast SOME games of SOME of the ACC teams that just happen to join the Big 10 and/or SEC?

I mean, technically speaking, we didn't intend to give up the rights to the ACC to hold us hostage, right? I mean, the intent of the GOR was to allow the ACC to do a deal with ESPN, right?

Right?

So why would the ACC want to keep our rights after we leave the ACC? Right?
ESPN wants to keep the rights ... they have stated "we will continue to broadcast the home games of any ACC member that leaves the ACC for another conference". This is where the legal actions by each program come to play. I only know of one person who has stated that he has read the revised 30-40 page GOR, a journalist in Charlotte that had the opinion that it is "malleable" and not "iron clad" due to containing "comparable revenue clauses" for several (not all ) programs. "Revenue comparable to similar programs in other conferences" was the way he put it. Would love to have a chance to read that GOR.

Advertisement
So can I no longer view tweets bc I'm not on Twitter?

breaking bad bullshit GIF
Gotta have an account.

All these AI companies are scraping social media and other heavily trafficked sites to train their models and get all their data. They were using the APIs but Twitter (and Reddit like a week or two ago) cut that off unless you pay up. So this is how they’re going about preventing it temporarily until they find a better way to actually prevent them from scraping the site. This is important because to operate all these servers all the requests in/out cost money, and if the scraping is hard enough will require them to open more servers. So an ai company is taking all their data and basically forcing them to pay for doing so…

Advertisement
Leaving the ACC costs $120M. I'd imagine there is no installment plan for that.

Breaking the GOR is unknown. There are no damages, per se. Supposedly, ESPN and the ACCN would still have the rights to broadcast our games, so that is "kinda-sorta" like paying on an annual basis?

Of course (and let me blow your mind here), what if ESPN continued to broadcast SOME games of SOME of the ACC teams that just happen to join the Big 10 and/or SEC?

I mean, technically speaking, we didn't intend to give up the rights to the ACC to hold us hostage, right? I mean, the intent of the GOR was to allow the ACC to do a deal with ESPN, right?

Right?

So why would the ACC want to keep our rights after we leave the ACC? Right?

Lay-away…or put it on the corporate card….

If the Big 10 agrees with ND only to do a schedule agreement then this is a huge red flag. Plus, FSU, Clemson and UNC head to SEC then Big 10 takes a big L, IMO. I am concerned about these talks.

If the Big 10 agrees with ND only to do a schedule agreement then this is a huge red flag. Plus, FSU, Clemson and UNC head to SEC then Big 10 takes a big L, IMO. I am concerned about these talks.
Going to be interesting for sure. The SEC can ramp up their revenue by scheduling 10 conference games each season since those are the games that bring viewers. The first move could be Miami and ND to the B10 and Clemson + 1 to the SEC. Somebody close to UNC stated that UNC does prefer the SEC. There is also a belief that the B10 is more aggressive / expansion focused and wanting / willing to add up to 4 programs while the SEC is 'reportedly' not as interested in adding programs, so they 'might' add two in a defensive move. With the focus on "Rolls Royce Game Programming" even if FSU ends up in the SEC and Miami is in the B10 it has been projected that they would be scheduled as permanent OOC rival games. That is another facet of the "Big 2" conference evolution .... potentially scheduling ALL or most OOC games with the other Big conference. No more Bethune Cookman, FIU. OOC games for Miami would be predominantly SEC opponents.

Going to be interesting for sure. The SEC can ramp up their revenue by scheduling 10 conference games each season since those are the games that bring viewers. The first move could be Miami and ND to the B10 and Clemson + 1 to the SEC. Somebody close to UNC stated that UNC does prefer the SEC. There is also a belief that the B10 is more aggressive / expansion focused and wanting / willing to add up to 4 programs while the SEC is 'reportedly' not as interested in adding programs, so they 'might' add two in a defensive move. With the focus on "Rolls Royce Game Programming" even if FSU ends up in the SEC and Miami is in the B10 it has been projected that they would be scheduled as permanent OOC rival games. That is another facet of the "Big 2" conference evolution .... potentially scheduling ALL or most OOC games with the other Big conference. No more Bethune Cookman, FIU. OOC games for Miami would be predominantly SEC opponents.
If this is true I would definitely be good. That would be a gauntlet but at least enjoyable football.

Advertisement
I would give 10 years off my life gladly to watch Miami beat Penn State in Crappy Valley again. 01 although I was a young lad I remember it quite vividly. My uncle told me "enjoy this, you don't get many of these as a sports fan" truest words ever spoken to me.

It was awesome. It’s fun to go there for games. Hating PSU and everything.

Awesome place to see a game. I've always gave them that. Last time I was there was Chase Youngs freshman year for the white out vs Ohio State. Penn State lost. It was awesome. White out is second to none as far as atmospheres imo.

My last time there was also an Ohio State game a solid 10+ years ago now.

Advertisement
My last time there was also an Ohio State game a solid 10+ years ago now.
I watch them every week though. My entire family are diehards expect me & my uncle. It's almost time for the wars to start up again. Thanksgiving i'll say at least once Paterno grabbed a kids ******. Especially cuz they're gonna be pretty **** good this year unfortunately.

I watch them every week though. My entire family are diehards expect me & my uncle. It's almost time for the wars to start up again. Thanksgiving i'll say at least once Paterno grabbed a kids ******. Especially cuz they're gonna be pretty **** good this year unfortunately.

Absolutely. I was definitely an outsider living up there, but a lot of fun. Franklin is a corch, but he can recruit and get the fans on a roller coaster…

maybe dumb question, but if these teams bolt the ACC, and the ACC crumbles, do we even owe them money? How do you pay an entity that doesn't exist anymore?

Advertisement
maybe dumb question, but if these teams bolt the ACC, and the ACC crumbles, do we even owe them money? How do you pay an entity that doesn't exist anymore?

Pretty accurate.

We got people obsessed with reading contracts, when the ultimate answer is soooo simple....

"Dissolving the ACC Conference" has been discussed for months as one tactic. Takes a simple majority vote ... 8 programs that would have to have confirmed landing places in other conferences. They vote to dissolve the conference and THEORETICALLY the GOR is no longer an enforceable document as the GOR is between the ACC Conference and ESPN. ESPN is going to argue that the conference transferred the rights to ESPN and therefore the programs are individually obligated until the termination date in 2036. That is where the attorneys come to play. There would be no $120 million dollar exit fee payable to the ACC ... and theoretically the GOR is no longer enforceable as there is no longer a conference. Opinions vary on that.

Still dropping "Joe Knew" is always very satisfying with that crew.

I don't really like giving Kreischer clicks but this was funny:

If fsu and Clemson goto the sec and unc does to but the big grabs Oregon, Washington and miami that’s a huge media market reach.

LA, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Miami Media market…

Advertisement
Back