MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

That's right, leave Oregon out

I suspect your thinking aligns with the B1G decision makers. I like the Ducks, both my sisters went to U of O and I partied there all the time. But it's a fact that they have a bad TV market and the tv ratings come from casual fans that think Chip Kelly is still there. A lot of people watch the Ducks games because of the flashy uniforms and expect to see video game offensive numbers. If they are bad for an extended period of time, they are going to be a liability because they will be getting $100 million to be a not particularly good academic school and mediocre program with no market. UW at least has high quality academics going for it. If the Ducks went through a dry spell like UM did (or FSU currently is in) they'd have no TV audience whatsoever. This is a golden ticket and I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon got left out in favor of the California schools, because that also quiets down Gavin Newsome's complaints about USC and UCLA leaving the Pac12.

Advertisement
I suspect your thinking aligns with the B1G decision makers. I like the Ducks, both my sisters went to U of O and I partied there all the time. But it's a fact that they have a bad TV market and the tv ratings come from casual fans that think Chip Kelly is still there. A lot of people watch the Ducks games because of the flashy uniforms and expect to see video game offensive numbers. If they are bad for an extended period of time, they are going to be a liability because they will be getting $100 million to be a not particularly good academic school and mediocre program with no market. UW at least has high quality academics going for it. If the Ducks went through a dry spell like UM did (or FSU currently is in) they'd have no TV audience whatsoever. This is a golden ticket and I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon got left out in favor of the California schools, because that also quiets down Gavin Newsome's complaints about USC and UCLA leaving the Pac12.

Seattle (UW) is the 14th largest media market, too. San Fran (Cal and Stanford) is #6 FYI.

Eugene, lol. Portland (secondarily) isn't a big sports town.

Last edited:
Seattle (UW) is the 14th largest media market, too. San Fran (Cal and Stanford) is #6 FYI.

Eugene, lol. Portland (secondarily) isn't a big sports town.

The entire state, and especially P-Town, loves the Trailblazers and there are a lot of diehard fans. High school football is a big deal all over the state. CFB has a decent following (everyone has a favorite between OSU and U of O) but any national audience the Ducks have is a passing fad.

I didn’t get an announcement time. I do know it was almost done and they were working on the smaller details
Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF

Advertisement
The entire state, and especially P-Town, loves the Trailblazers and there are a lot of diehard fans. High school football is a big deal all over the state. CFB has a decent following (everyone has a favorite between OSU and U of O) but any national audience the Ducks have is a passing fad.

They love the Blazers because they are the only game in town. It was a big deal when they got them, and everyone focuses on them. Kind of like how Green Bay or Oklahoma City are. Yes, they support the Blazers. And there is no other competition for the sports dollar in Portland. People want to go hiking, man lol.

But this is about the value of adding Oregon to the B1G, right? Portland and the entire state of Oregon has no NFL team, no MLB team, and no NHL team. Why? Because it's a smaller media market without enough fan support to support any of those sports. It's just what it is.

Does the University of Oregon add enough value to warrant another slice of the pie? Does Oregon provide enough of an incremental media market to move the needle? And does the longterm prospects for Oregon give you confidence that they can hold up their end for the next 50 years? Their recruiting base? Their media draw? I'm not sure. I just think if you add those other Pac-12 programs and their media markets (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle) you really get about 95% of what there is to get from the west. Oregon has value, but not enough, IMO.

****, did you know that Oregon Football rarely sells out, even when they are really good? Look at their attendance last year. And Autzen Stadium isn't even that big. Not that I wouldn't have killed to see a Grateful Dead show there. 💀 ⚡

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ohhh ****…. Relaxe guys, Jenn Strawley is handling things for the Canes
Done deal then. She DOES NOT take no for an answer. Trust me. She cornered me once in a dark spot at Home Depot right before closing. Years of therapy later and I still don't walk right.

Me too, goddamnit. Me too!!!

Advertisement
You’re arguing with yourself now, I don’t want to be the third wheel.

You don’t want to give me credit for my correct predictions that’s understandable…there is a saying after all, “a prophet is never accepted in his own town.” Not that this applies to me, you chose the words “martyred savant” not me, but as an observation of human nature I just find it interesting and often true.

I’ll step away from this discussion. I don’t want to be responsible for derailing an interesting thread, truly. I wasn’t looking for an argument.
Can you guys get a room?

Advertisement
I think there’s concern over being the first team to leave the ACC. Those that follow may have legal arguments that the first to leave would not.

Advertisement
Back