Coaching v Talent

1000%. I said in an earlier post that I was very impressed with the way he threw the ball. He really looked improved as a passer. But this is middle school ****.
He played super conservative in the first half. Barely left the pocket, didn't scramble much if at all, and handed off every RPO to Cam.

Advertisement
He played super conservative in the first half. Barely left the pocket, didn't scramble much if at all, and handed off every RPO to Cam.

Yep. I’d pay a lot of money to have been a fly on the wall in his film session with Lashlee. I’d bet there was either a lot of teaching/correction, or he’s hurt and they’re not risking the season for him running against Bama.

CMR may have been a better coach than CMD but he was FAR more stubborn. I like the changes that CMD has made (TWill would have been elite had it stuck). But a few things stick out to me.
1. Talent Gap has improved but the talent is Sophomores and Freshmen
2. Transfer Portal has been kind but like noted above, doesn’t always yield the best results from better players. Still need to run an offense smartly if you’re the QB
3. The only constant (besides the obvious of not making gigantic strides has been change. This is year 2 of this offense. Give these kids a chance to understand their roles and to execute it against college football players instead of NFL rookie caliber players

I expect our team to get better (can’t go the other direction). So long as we stay healthy, we should take care of business. The issue that drive me nuts is when we beat a decent ACC team only to struggle against Pitt. We need to show that we are at the upper echelon of the ACC and act like it the following week. Consistency will get us to the ACCCG which takes us up a notch in recruiting.
Like i said it starts Saturday. Come out with the same struggle against the remaining schedule then get smashed by UNC, then Diaz is done for me

Yep. I’d pay a lot of money to have been a fly on the wall in his film session with Lashlee. I’d bet there was either a lot of teaching/correction, or he’s hurt and they’re not risking the season for him running against Bama.
RPO means he hands it off to the RB or passes it. How do people still get this wrong?!

No we are arguing miami has the resources to aggregate the same level of talent as other schools who have been successful. Auburn went to 2 national titles in the last decade with similar levels of talent. Miami can compete with schools with more resources because of where they are located. Schools like Nebraska can spend money like shieks and still get beat to sleep, why? Look at their roster. All the schools i pointed out have won and loss, why? Why they lost, bad coaching hires, despite the money, something we have done and keep doing. Not a single coach we hired since Butch has gone on to anything better than Miami. Thats a fact.

This makes no sense. Nebraska as an example doesn't prove that talent is more important than resources. If anything it proves the importance of evaluations. Nebraska has resources, and were recruiting at a top 20 level. The issue is they've been recruiting the wrong players, which is why they were one of the biggest losers in the transfer portal this offseason.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebra...ootballs-biggest-losers-from-transfer-portal/

But for every Nebraska, I can give you Iowa, Iowa. St, Mich St, Baylor, TCU, Wisconsin, U of W, Wash St, etc. These are all programs that have drastically outperformed their recruiting rankings over the yrs. Why is that?

No one is arguing that a higher level of resource allocation guarantees you a NC. There are no guarantees in life. It's about maximizing the probability for making the right HC hire, and giving yourself the best chance to win.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This makes no sense. Nebraska as an example doesn't prove that talent is more important than resources. If anything it proves the importance of evaluations. Nebraska has resources, and were recruiting at a top 20 level. The issue is they've been recruiting the wrong players, which is why they were one of the biggest losers in the transfer portal this offseason.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebra...ootballs-biggest-losers-from-transfer-portal/

But for every Nebraska, I can give you Iowa, Iowa. St, Mich St, Baylor, TCU, Wisconsin, U of W, Wash St, etc. These are all programs that have drastically outperformed their recruiting rankings over the yrs. Why is that?
Better coaches? And all those programs have a significantly lower ceiling than broke Miami. I put those coaches in Miami and they are challenging for the playoff within 3 years or less. Like serious challenging, not lamb to slaughter like when Mich St went.

Good news is he's leaving Bama with no setbacks and should have confidence his knee will hold up. I'm still confident in King. Was he sharp and aggressive, no? But it was hard to get in rhythm with Scaife out there early, Cam run plays for nothing, and Bama's pass rush.

I will excuse the Bama game as they are in another league. Last season we lost to Clemson 42-17 think was the score. People excuse is to point to stars and say we are over matched. We had some infusion of talent that made us close the gap on them and they lost some players in the offseason. But they bring in top recruiting classes yearly. So largely its the same gap from last season to this

Anyway Clemson has 10 5 stars, 41 4 stars and 30 3 stars. For us its 2 5 stars, 43 4 stars and 38 3 stars. Thats basically the roster comparison that is a 42-17 gap for Miami coaches. (BTW UGA roster is as close to Bama as Clemson is to us. UGA-Clemson was 10-3, UGA would beat us into a coma)

Now remember our roster breakdown for us and consider we are -7 v App St at home. App St as.1....yes 1 4 star and 44 3 star players. I guess everyone else is unranked.

What is my point? There are two ways to either beat teams or challenge them. You can either be so much better than them where basic plays will still beat them even if they figured its coming, or you can scheme and coach beat them where it bamboozle them and equalize the talent gap if they are better than you talent wise.

When you combine both you get Bama.

When you cant even make a game competitive and your first instinct is to cry about who we don't have, it means you make no difference as a coach and i could coach the team to the same result as only the players you have matters. The coaches job is to make the whole bigger than the sum of its parts. We don't have that. No evidence of that yet.

App St coaches will coach and close the talent gap with us according vegas. For some reason though, every time we play an opponent thats better or favored not only do it turn out the way the betting line says....its worse. See Saturday against Bama, Clemson, LSU , UNC etc, and also on the other hand when vegas favors us bar a few times where the opponent is dumster juice, FSU and Louisville, the underdogs against us manage to make the game closer than the pre game line. Our coaching staff is not giving us any type of edge against any team. Matter of fact they are a net negative.

If we don't see drastic improvements for the rest of the season starting this Saturday, know that nothing is changing. If we are still struggling with App St and Mich St, UVA etc. nothing has changed . I gave Diaz slack because he seems amenable to changes and has gotten a little better recruiting. At some point the changes have to show on the field. Political speeches sounds nice until you see the bill. The bill so far needs to be repealed.

And please dont give me no cr@p about who will come blah blah. Plenty of coaches would love to run through the ACC with the 13th ranked roster in the nation and then a chance to recruit Miami and make it better after they beat Duke, GT and UVA to sleep and give UNC an *** kicking for throwing down the U. I hold my powder till season's end to decide.
The talent gap was horse **** pumpers fed to people that believe in the tooth fairy. Anyone that can write a nice article with perfect commas in the right places and sound articulate they believe. The 15-0ers and the super pom pom mini skirt fans. They are loaded there is no drop off when they lose players. Your basically playing the same team from the year before. And partially some positions got upgraded especially QB. Real homies know wtf is going on. U can't fool us.

1. Talent
2. Coaching
3. Recruiting staff & Analysts
4. Other staff
5. Facilities

Miami has done pretty good with 1,3,4,5. Cmr wins 11-12 if he has King vs Rosier. CMD wins 9 in year one with on of the brothers kicking OR King at QB or Lashlee at OC.

Overall, we are heading in the right direction but we also have some serious question marks after Bama. DE in the flats with the play rolling the other way. Mallory and Nelson getting mauled multiple times by smaller guys…
If I own the refs I can disrupt all that **** up there.

Advertisement
Better coaches? And all those programs have a significantly lower ceiling than broke Miami. I put those coaches in Miami and they are challenging for the playoff within 3 years or less. Like serious challenging, not lamb to slaughter like when Mich St went.

Exactly. Because in CFB, as with most things in life, there's a positive correlation between coaching ability, and resource allocation. I don't think your friend @Rellyrell understands this basic concept. He's disappointed this program couldn't find the next Saban paying him the 41st highest salary in P5. LMAO

Good news is he's leaving Bama with no setbacks and should have confidence his knee will hold up. I'm still confident in King. Was he sharp and aggressive, no? But it was hard to get in rhythm with Scaife out there early, Cam run plays for nothing, and Bama's pass rush.

Agreed, but again I thought he was pretty sharp throwing the ball. He had a much higher completion percentage than Young, actually. A decent number of short passes inflated that, but completing 76% is completing 76%. Restrepo had a drop, he had an INT where his WR was getting held, then mugged, then was targeted, and the ball goes up into the air, Restrepo does the right thing and bats it down and it goes DIRECTLY into the gut of a DB. Fun. Had a throwaway near the goal line. That’s 3 incompletions out of the 7 he had that weren’t bad decisions or throws (he finished 23/31).

But yea, again, if we’re gonna be as dynamic this year as we thought on offense he has to get that knee to 100% and make much better decisions in the RPO and zone read game.

Exactly. Because in CFB, as with most things in life, there's a positive correlation between coaching ability, and resource allocation. I don't think your friend @Rellyrell understands this basic concept. He's disappointed this program couldn't find the next Saban paying him the 41st highest salary in P5. LMAO

U’re all over the place. Good lord. I’m not sure if u smoke, drink, or snort, but whatever it is that continues to trip over urself, stop.

Advertisement
If Diaz showed he wasnt gonna lose to FIU, LA Tech and getting dragged all over the field by UNC, you know what happens? He gets an extension and he is not where he is. Unless you come here or any school with significant pedigree, you have to earn your raises. Nothing wrong with that. I remember Charlie Weiss at ND, offensive guru, got a pile of cash. Garbage. They went and got Kelly, he has them the best they been in decades. There are very few certainty in coaching. Diaz has gotten significant support to hire assistants and create new positions. He didn't want a CEO like Alonzo Highsmith cuz he knows everything. How about you talk bout those things and stop thinking flashing cash alone gonna win.

L-M-A-O

The funniest chit on this board going, u believing the bull chit u post. Lol.

So let me understand:

B/c we don’t have the “resources” that’s why we couldn’t beat FIU or La Tech in 2019? That’s why our 4 & 5 star Top247 ranked players allowed the most rushing yards in a single game last season? B/c we’re broke, that’s why we allowed a team full of 2 and 3 stars race out to a 28-0 lead against us?

Wait, wait…so b/c of lack of resources & finances, we were forced to spend $4m to pay Temple a buyout fee for Diaz?? Lol.

So let me get this straight, so b/c of resources, it tied our hands to do a coaching search after Richt gave us a blank check???!

LMAO, so U’re telling me, the reason y we got smoked 48-0 at our house was b/c Shannon’s 1st round picks couldn’t compete w/ UVA’s future grocery & shoe salesmen?? So we can’t win a DIVISION full of UDFAs on majority of our opponent’s roster, b/c everyone’s No star & 2 star players are better than our 4 & 5 star player b/c, wait for it, they play for a school w/ better resources??

MAN-O-MAN, where were u at when Bobby Bowden needed the goal post to move on all them wide rights? Lol.

I learned something new today, and I thank u for it; here it was I thought we had a global warming issue due to over utilizing earth’s natural resources. Nope, I realize it’s all the hot gas coming out ur *** to defend this school’s incompetency due to lack of resources. Lol.

We lost to FIU & La Tech because we had a weed head @ QB.

Shannon, Golden, and now Diaz, were some of the lowest paid HCs in P5. That's what explains the let downs, and why this program has underachieved relative to its recruiting rankings.

This program has been out spent by teams in its own division, which is why it's talent advantage can be easily negated.

No one is trying to apologize for incompetence. I don't give a fuuck. You can fire both Diaz & James. I don't care. Whether you do or not, nothing is going to change, because fundamentally the root cause of the issue will still remain unaddressed. I'm sorry you're struggling to understand the importance of resources in CFB. I'm confident though, this pt will be made clear to you sooner, rather than later.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We lost to FIU & La Tech because we had a weed head @ QB.

Shannon, Golden, and now Diaz, were some of the lowest paid HCs in P5. That's what explains the let downs, and why this program has underachieved relative to its recruiting rankings.

This program has been out spent by teams in its own division, which is why it's talent advantage can be easily negated.

No one is trying to apologize for incompetence. I don't give a fuuck. You can fire both Diaz & James. I don't care. Whether you do or not, nothing is going to change, because fundamentally the root cause of the issue will still remain. I'm sorry you're struggling to understand the importance of resources in CFB. I'm confident though, this pt will be made clear to you sooner, rather than later.

Richt made a little over $4m/yr which is literally either on par or more than every coach in the ACC sans Dabo. Speaking of
Dabo, u do realize Dabo’s 1st contract at Clemson was $800k/yr, right? While Dabo was making $800k, Shannon was making a little over $1m. But resources, though. Lol

U know how Clemson started to outspend Miami? They made the right hire, and BOOM, all of a sudden revenue started going way up after being dormant for almost 30 yrs. Then something foreign happened; after Dabo proved his worth from an on-field & off-field commodity, that’s when Clemson was able to sign him to a long term, hefty contract to keep him locked in. Now, that was so anti-Miami, who likes to give contract extension to underachieving coaches.

Sometimes I think u just say chit b/c it sounds good, b/c literally I don’t even know what U’re arguing.

The fact is, we suck b/c we have poor ppl making bad business decisions from a hiring standpoint. U don’t need $8m to hire a Campbell, who was much cheaper to hire than Richt. U don’t need $3m to hire a Freeze, who was much cheaper to hire than Diaz.

Anyways, since I’m no longer sure what U’re trying to argue, how bout we bid ourselves adieu.

Last edited:
Richt made a little over $4m/yr which is literally either on par or more than every coach in the ACC sans Dabo. Speaking of
Dabo, u do realize Dabo’s 1st contract at Clemson was $800k/yr, right? While Dabo was making $800k, Shannon was making a little over $1m. But resources, though. Lol

U know how Clemson started to outspend Miami? They made the right hire, and BOOM, all of a sudden revenue started going way up after being dormant for almost 30 yrs. Then something foreign happened, after Dabo proved his worth from an field & off field commodity, that’s when Clemson was able to be signed to him to a long term hefty contract to keep him locked in. Now that was so anti-Miami, who likes to give contract extension to underachieving coaches.

Sometimes I think u just say chit b/c it sounds good b/c literally I don’t even know what U’re arguing.

The fact is, we suck b/c we have poor ppl making bad business decisions from a hiring standpoint. U don’t need $8m to hire a Campbell, who was much cheaper to hire than Richt. U don’t need $3m to hire a Freeze, who was much cheaper to hire than Diaz.

Anyways, since I’m no longer sure what U’re trying to argue, how bout we bid ourselves adieu.

You really just have to say "Texas" and then drop the mic. They have revenue and an athletic budget that rivals the GDP of many countries, haven't won a conference championship since 2009, and their last 2 coaches since Mack combined to go 48-39 in 7 years.

U know how Clemson started to outspend Miami? They made the right hire, and BOOM, all of a sudden revenue started going way up after being dormant for almost 30 yrs. Then something foreign happened, after Dabo proved his worth from an field & off field commodity, that’s when Clemson was able to be signed to him to a long term hefty contract to keep him locked in. Now that was so anti-Miami, who likes to give contract extension to underachieving coaches.

Sometimes I think u just say chit b/c it sounds good b/c literally I don’t even know what U’re arguing.

Pure facts. Clemson went away from over paying Bowden to trying a young Dabo who was impressive with his interview. He proved yearly to address problems that popped up. Making good hires below him and recruiting high level players after showing improvements on the field. That is important in convincing kids you are moving in the right direction.

If you mean a staff of 130, sure Bama spends but Miami isn’t at 10 staff members and has better staff members than 100 plus schools. Heck, Shoop is a top 15 DC.

now if you mean resources to pay players, sure. We aren’t top 10.

we likely spread our resources out more than most. We also don’t have a coach that everyone is behind so the extra 10m/year from ticket sales and donations aren’t happening until a coach wins big multiple years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back