Coaching v Talent

Advertisement
I have no idea why anyone would 'excuse' the Bama game.

It's one thing to say that they are on another level...they were favored by 19, obviously. But why would one excuse that sort of performance? Especially when it joins what seems to be a tread of uncompetitive, poor performances against teams that have talent advantages against us.

Shouldn't that be the situation where good coaching and game planning shines?

1. Talent
2. Coaching
3. Recruiting staff & Analysts
4. Other staff
5. Facilities

Miami has done pretty good with 1,3,4,5. Cmr wins 11-12 if he has King vs Rosier. CMD wins 9 in year one with on of the brothers kicking OR King at QB or Lashlee at OC.

Overall, we are heading in the right direction but we also have some serious question marks after Bama. DE in the flats with the play rolling the other way. Mallory and Nelson getting mauled multiple times by smaller guys…
I don't think we sre improving. We are in neutral, we have not managed to give a better team a game under Diaz. Will we take care of trash teams? Left to be seen. Also Richt did win 9 games year 1. He was 9-4

I have no idea why anyone would 'excuse' the Bama game.

It's one thing to say that they are on another level...they were favored by 19, obviously. But why would one excuse that sort of performance? Especially when it joins what seems to be a tread of uncompetitive, poor performances against teams that have talent advantages against us.

Shouldn't that be the situation where good coaching and game planning shines?
Yes you are right and i feel the way you do but you would have endless crying about how Saban is Jesus and they cant be beaten. Clemson has won the same amount of titles as Bama since 2016, with less talent and is a more defined example of coaching making up gaps.

Advertisement
King is an all around above average QB. He's an average passer and decision maker.

If this season derails soon, I'd like to see our best "I'm emptying the f*cking chamber" passing QB.

I will excuse the Bama game as they are in another league. Last season we lost to Clemson 42-17 think was the score. People excuse is to point to stars and say we are over matched. We had some infusion of talent that made us close the gap on them and they lost some players in the offseason. But they bring in top recruiting classes yearly. So largely its the same gap from last season to this

Anyway Clemson has 10 5 stars, 41 4 stars and 30 3 stars. For us its 2 5 stars, 43 4 stars and 38 3 stars. Thats basically the roster comparison that is a 42-17 gap for Miami coaches. (BTW UGA roster is as close to Bama as Clemson is to us. UGA-Clemson was 10-3, UGA would beat us into a coma)

Now remember our roster breakdown for us and consider we are -7 v App St at home. App St as.1....yes 1 4 star and 44 3 star players. I guess everyone else is unranked.

What is my point? There are two ways to either beat teams or challenge them. You can either be so much better than them where basic plays will still beat them even if they figured its coming, or you can scheme and coach beat them where it bamboozle them and equalize the talent gap if they are better than you talent wise.

When you combine both you get Bama.

When you cant even make a game competitive and your first instinct is to cry about who we don't have, it means you make no difference as a coach and i could coach the team to the same result as only the players you have matters. The coaches job is to make the whole bigger than the sum of its parts. We don't have that. No evidence of that yet.

App St coaches will coach and close the talent gap with us according vegas. For some reason though, every time we play an opponent thats better or favored not only do it turn out the way the betting line says....its worse. See Saturday against Bama, Clemson, LSU , UNC etc, and also on the other hand when vegas favors us bar a few times where the opponent is dumster juice, FSU and Louisville, the underdogs against us manage to make the game closer than the pre game line. Our coaching staff is not giving us any type of edge against any team. Matter of fact they are a net negative.

If we don't see drastic improvements for the rest of the season starting this Saturday, know that nothing is changing. If we are still struggling with App St and Mich St, UVA etc. nothing has changed . I gave Diaz slack because he seems amenable to changes and has gotten a little better recruiting. At some point the changes have to show on the field. Political speeches sounds nice until you see the bill. The bill so far needs to be repealed.

And please dont give me no cr@p about who will come blah blah. Plenty of coaches would love to run through the ACC with the 13th ranked roster in the nation and then a chance to recruit Miami and make it better after they beat Duke, GT and UVA to sleep and give UNC an *** kicking for throwing down the U. I hold my powder till season's end to decide.
this is really well said. If you can't make a difference as a coach against better teams and others do it against you, what do we have? Great summary

I was going nuts at the game on this play. I’m so confused by this, still after seeing it live and a rewatch. King is a 6th year senior and 24 years old. There are 6 guys in the box, you only have 5 linemen, and there’s a safety creeping down to make a 7th guy on your 5. THIS IS AN AUTOMATIC BUBBLE. Like, I’m talking Day 1 in High School, this is a literally brainless bubble screen. 1000 times out of 1000. Watch that play back. Now, I’m sure someone will say one of their DBs would just toss one of our WRs out of the way and stuff this for a 5 yard gain. Cool. Maybe they do. But this is a completely free 5 yards, more often than not 15 yards, and occasionally a touchdown. And we run Cam into a completely hopeless situation. The ceiling for Cam on that play is 5 yards if a hole pops, he finds it and puts his head down. The floor is a TFL. The floor for the bubble is 5 yards and the ceiling is a touchdown. And King doesn’t even look like he’s ****ed or realized it was an easy 5 yards. We just go back to the line and run the next play. If I can see this, surely they can. I simply don’t understand how this happens.

Advertisement
I was going nuts at the game on this play. I’m so confused by this, still after seeing it live and a rewatch. King is a 6th year senior and 24 years old. There are 6 guys in the box, you only have 5 linemen, and there’s a safety creeping down to make a 7th guy on your 5. THIS IS AN AUTOMATIC BUBBLE. Like, I’m talking Day 1 in High School, this is a literally brainless bubble screen. 1000 times out of 1000. Watch that play back. Now, I’m sure someone will say one of their DBs would just toss one of our WRs out of the way and stuff this for a 5 yard gain. Cool. Maybe they do. But this is a completely free 5 yards, more often than not 15 yards, and occasionally a touchdown. And we run Cam into a completely hopeless situation. The ceiling for Cam on that play is 5 yards if a hole pops, he finds it and puts his head down. The floor is a TFL. The floor for the bubble is 5 yards and the ceiling is a touchdown. And King doesn’t even look like he’s ****ed or realized it was an easy 5 yards. We just go back to the line and run the next play. If I can see this, surely they can. I simply don’t understand how this happens.
King's play need to be scrutinized much more than it's been so far and i think he has largely gotten a pass. These are decisions i would take from TVD and Garcia, not him

The only person living in an alternate universe is u.
Like Texas A&M had before Jimbo, and Bama before Saban. Im sure it was resources that cause Mark Richt to be dumpster juice at UGA and get beat by the worse looking UF teams. How about Ohio St before Tressell, what about USC before Pete Carroll? And Clemson, they had a thing named after them, Clemsoning, it was all about resources breh. And who can forget Texas, 1 title in around 60 years, surely lack of resources

In any market human capital flows towards financial resources. For some reason you guys are trying to argue the opposite can be true in CFB, despite knowing the teams who win the most, also spend the most. UGA, ND, BAMA, OU, OSU, LSU, TAMU, are some of the highest spending teams in CFB. Yes, UT has underachieved relative to its resources, but that's because they hired Charlie Strong! Naturally that's going to set the program back a few yrs, but just in 18' under Herman, they won the Sugar Bowl against UGA. So clearly the potential to become a preeminent program is there. And that makes a lot of sense, because a higher football budget IMPROVES your chances of making the "right" hire exponentially. Contrast that to what this program has done in the last 20 yrs. 3 out of the last 4 hires it has made, have been some of the lowest paid HCs in P5! That's why it's received exactly what it deserves. You guys are essentially disappointed that the HCs couldn't make a dollar out of 50 cents..LMAO

Last edited:
All things considered, I put the 3rd and 7 call ahead of every single abysmal one we have seen over the last 15 years.
Above the halfback pass in the snow? Above playing 3 down linemen and LBs 7 yards off the line of scrimmage on a goalline stand?

Recency bias, much?

Advertisement
I don't think we sre improving. We are in neutral, we have not managed to give a better team a game under Diaz. Will we take care of trash teams? Left to be seen. Also Richt did win 9 games year 1. He was 9-4

1. we’ve landed some good classes and 22 could be near elite
2. Cmr>cmd
3. Improved since CMR: we actually have someone that likely could get a good DC job
4. Improved since CMR: we have additional roles that didn’t exist 6 years ago.
5. Indoor facilities

In any market human capital flows towards financial resources. For some reason you guys are trying to argue the opposite can be true in CFB, despite knowing the teams who win the most, also spend the most. UGA, ND, BAMA, OU, OSU, LSU, TAMU, are some of the highest spending teams in CFB. Yes, UT has underachieved relative to its resources, but that's because they hired Charlie Strong! Naturally that's going to set the program back a few yrs, but just in 18' under Herman, they won the Sugar Bowl against UGA. So clearly the potential to become a preeminent program is there. And that makes a lot of sense, because a higher football budget IMPROVES your chances of making the "right" hire exponentially. Contrast that to what this program has done in the last 20 yrs. 3 out of the last 4 hires it has made, have been some of the lowest paid HCs in P5! That's why it's received exactly what it has paid for. You guys are essentially disappointed that the HCs couldn't make a dollar out of 50 cents..LMAO
No we are arguing miami has the resources to aggregate the same level of talent as other schools who have been successful. Auburn went to 2 national titles in the last decade with similar levels of talent. Miami can compete with schools with more resources because of where they are located. Schools like Nebraska can spend money like shieks and still get beat to sleep, why? Look at their roster. All the schools i pointed out have won and loss, why? Why they lost, bad coaching hires, despite the money, something we have done and keep doing. Not a single coach we hired since Butch has gone on to anything better than Miami. Thats a fact.

King's play need to be scrutinized much more than it's been so far and i think he has largely gotten a pass. These are decisions i would take from TVD and Garcia, not him

1000%. I said in an earlier post that I was very impressed with the way he threw the ball. He really looked improved as a passer. But this is middle school ****.

Advertisement
Above the halfback pass in the snow? Above playing 3 down linemen and LBs 7 yards off the line of scrimmage on a goalline stand?

Recency bias, much?
None of those games were of the magnitude of bama. Going against the best coaches money can buy and that’s what we bring to the table. No recency bias, legit the worst call in last 15 years given the stage

No we are arguing miami has the resources to aggregate the same level of talent as other schools who have been successful. Auburn went to 2 national titles in the last decade with similar levels of talent. Miami can compete with schools with more resources because of where they are located. Schools like Nebraska can spend money like shieks and still get beat to sleep, why? Look at their roster. All the schools i pointed out have won and loss, why? Why they lost, bad coaching hires, despite the money, something we have done and keep doing. Not a single coach we hired since Butch has gone on to anything better than Miami. Thats a fact.

Bruuuuuuuh, dude is all over the place.

I wonder if the fast pace of Lashlee's offense causes read issues like the one in the video posted above. When you're going a million miles an hour, especially against Bama, I'm sure it's easy to rush and miss reads.

CMR may have been a better coach than CMD but he was FAR more stubborn. I like the changes that CMD has made (TWill would have been elite had it stuck). But a few things stick out to me.
1. Talent Gap has improved but the talent is Sophomores and Freshmen
2. Transfer Portal has been kind but like noted above, doesn’t always yield the best results from better players. Still need to run an offense smartly if you’re the QB
3. The only constant (besides the obvious of not making gigantic strides has been change. This is year 2 of this offense. Give these kids a chance to understand their roles and to execute it against college football players instead of NFL rookie caliber players

I expect our team to get better (can’t go the other direction). So long as we stay healthy, we should take care of business. The issue that drive me nuts is when we beat a decent ACC team only to struggle against Pitt. We need to show that we are at the upper echelon of the ACC and act like it the following week. Consistency will get us to the ACCCG which takes us up a notch in recruiting.

Advertisement
Back