*Coach Kool Gone...headed to Alabama*

Saban loves to hire UM coaches:Stoutland,Pannunzio,Cristobal,and now Kool.Smart at Georgia is not only following Saban 's formula for recruiting $$$ but has also hired UM coaches like Beard and Coley.
They all know that they cannot win or compete with us without South Florida and Florida in general talent

Advertisement
The way I read it is that Kul had a bag packed last year. Richt made him asst. HC which means nothing. I don't think he necessarily forced him out this year but when he decided to interview at TB Richt now realizing that he may be a net neutral as an assistant coach basically wished him well and did nothing to talk him out of leaving. The bottom line is that I think Richt has had time to prepare.

I'm rather surprised Kool left to be honest. He was at Missouri forever even though I'm sure he had offers to go elsewhere. He only left Missouri because the new head coach wasn't retaining him for reasons inexplicable to God. I assumed he would be super loyal to Miami like he was super loyal to Mizzou.

I'm rather surprised Kool left to be honest. He was at Missouri forever even though I'm sure he had offers to go elsewhere. He only left Missouri because the new head coach wasn't retaining him for reasons inexplicable to God. I assumed he would be super loyal to Miami like he was super loyal to Mizzou.
Everyone is not built for the Miami culture/way of life. Not even speaking of the differences in the schools, Kool is way more a Missouri guy than a Miami guy. He served his purpose, now it's on to the next one.

I really hope Richt saw through him and just said ok, we are done here. For about a day it appeared he was going to the Tampa Bay Bucs then all of a sudden they hired someone else. Then it was, he is going to Bama.

I think Richt called his bluff and he landed on his feet just fine which any good coach will.

Advertisement
Everyone is not built for the Miami culture/way of life. Not even speaking of the differences in the schools, Kool is way more a Missouri guy than a Miami guy. He served his purpose, now it's on to the next one.
I was just going to say, I imagine Missouri is a very similar lifestyle to Alabama. Maybe he just wasn't cut out for Miami.

Some of you have a short memory.our d line sucked before coach kool got here.we better hope whoever is hired does just as good a job coach kool did.if d performs better in 18 you could possibly add Diaz to that list.
posters don’t want to comprehend reality. Kool was best d line coach in country. He most definitely improved our d line. But, juvenile posters angry because he abandoned us. They use the defense mechanism that he was a lousy recruiter and we won’t miss him. Smart move by Kool. Probably a nice increase in his compensation package plus coaching the best d line in the country for a college that Is a perennial threat to win ship.

Saban said. "He is an outstanding football coach who will bring great energy to our program. Craig does a tremendous job of developing players and has proven to be an exceptional recruiter."

the bags are really going to help

Advertisement
I was just going to say, I imagine Missouri is a very similar lifestyle to Alabama. Maybe he just wasn't cut out for Miami.

I could imagine Kool being the type of guy that gets extremely angry/offended when he drives thru a Miami McDonalds and the employee barely speaks English.

In any case, this move is really strange. For so many years, he showed he was content with just being a D-Line coach at a mediocre school and all of a sudden he's an ambitious school hopper? Something happened..

Sam was a one-trick pony - he had a tried and true quick outside first step to get around the tackle - he was sort of undersized but it didn’t matter in college, his quickness and first few steps got him around the blocker and to the QBs. Otherwise he was unremarkable. Not particularly fast. Not overpowering. Too much of a tweener for the NFL, not enough skills to be a linebacker.

He didn’t make it because he was a tweener with not enough talent.

posters don’t want to comprehend reality. Kool was best d line coach in country. He most definitely improved our d line. But, juvenile posters angry because he abandoned us. They use the defense mechanism that he was a lousy recruiter and we won’t miss him. Smart move by Kool. Probably a nice increase in his compensation package plus coaching the best d line in the country for a college that Is a perennial threat to win ship.
If I had the power to wipe this site clean of every 2017 & 2018 poster from this board I would. Almost all of them suck.

No, he was a great position Coach but he was a LAZY recruiter. That can work at a middle of the pack team like Missouri or a Top Flight program whose name recruits for itself but it does not work at Miami where you have every program in the country trying to pull talent out of your backyard. I do not think Kool will last long at Bama. Saban isn't the easiest coach in the world to work for. I bet you that he will continue to apply for pro jobs till he can get one.

Advertisement
I remember seeing him tweet a lot about meeting some friends in the keys several times. Maybe he wants to retire to ocean reef and live next to JJ and have a 35ft yellow fin. He’s not a spring chicken and idk what his retirement plan is so my guess he left for bags. As far as recruiting I think the defensive staff lacked the cohesiveness of the offensive staff. I think the problem stemmed between Diaz and Kool (pure speculation). The Chatfield recruitment was a head scratcher since it was Diaz that offered.
Also the writing was on the wall when Patke was sent to recruit Coburn.

I really hope Richt saw through him and just said ok, we are done here. For about a day it appeared he was going to the Tampa Bay Bucs then all of a sudden they hired someone else. Then it was, he is going to Bama.

I think Richt called his bluff and he landed on his feet just fine which any good coach will.
I wouldn’t say Richt called his bluff. More like he said ahh ya we ain’t doing this dance every year and your replaceable so clean out your office your done here.

College football is a business and Bama has "football" money to get whoever they want. They offered Kool a job with a significant increase in salary and he took the job, just like any other business minded person would. Alabama has a nearly 20 million dollar budget to just pay football coaches. LSU just gave Aranda (their DC for those who only know Miami) a 10 million dollar GUARANTEED 4 YEAR CONTRACT (for those who think assistants are year to year) A&M just gave Oklahoma's S&C coach 800K. There are now over 20 assistants that make over a million a year. Miami does not have the "football" money to pay these kind of dollars, so we have to get lucky with some up and coming coaches and hopefully they hang on until someone plucks them away. See fellas, this is how it works!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
No, he was a great position Coach but he was a LAZY recruiter. That can work at a middle of the pack team like Missouri or a Top Flight program whose name recruits for itself but it does not work at Miami where you have every program in the country trying to pull talent out of your backyard. I do not think Kool will last long at Bama. Saban isn't the easiest coach in the world to work for. I bet you that he will continue to apply for pro jobs till he can get one.

He played for Saban at Toledo so I am sure he knows if he can work with the man or not. One can only hope he washes out at Alabama but I see this one coming back to bite UM for years to come. REALLY hope I am wrong.

You realize that we still got Joe Jackson, Jon garvin, Jon Ford, Greg Rousseau, and Nesta ******* Silvera right? Even with as little effort Kool put into recruiting, thats what he was still able to get.

I think the problem is that Richt and Diaz underestimated his recruiting ability from the getgo. Remember everyone saying Kool had complete control of who we target recruiting wise at DL and who we offer? Well thats a problem when the dude doesn't really care much about recruiting. If we had somone like Hartley, Banda, or Patke doing the heavy lifting for the DL recruiting from the very beginning, I doubt we'd be in the position depth wise we are.
The problem wasn't the skill of the players we got. The problem was there wasn't a plan. Theres no way in **** we should have been left with 5 ******* DEs this year. Thats a problem. But that could have been solved, even with Kool as coach. He's a great coach, and this is a loss, even if we bring in KP or Partridge.

College football is a business and Bama has "football" money to get whoever they want. They offered Kool a job with a significant increase in salary and he took the job, just like any other business minded person would. Alabama has a nearly 20 million dollar budget to just pay football coaches. LSU just gave Aranda (their DC for those who only know Miami) a 10 million dollar GUARANTEED 4 YEAR CONTRACT (for those who think assistants are year to year) A&M just gave Oklahoma's S&C coach 800K. There are now over 20 assistants that make over a million a year. Miami does not have the "football" money to pay these kind of dollars, so we have to get lucky with some up and coming coaches and hopefully they hang on until someone plucks them away. See fellas, this is how it works!
You are really g.ay.

Advertisement
Back