Clint Hurtt as DC??

Well regarded recruiter and front 7 coach. Particularly d line and edge. I like him in that role. Primary DC, not so much.

Playcalling is big but outside of that has he ever done much overall gameplanning and marrying various positions into one unit? Any experience working with the schemes in the secondary?

I typically like back end guys as DC who are strong with coverages and pass defense. If Hurt is The guy we need a strong co-DC who specializes in the secondary and pass coverages.

Advertisement
Yea he parlayed his way into Asst HEAD COACH of an NFL team through the good ok boy system…..Man these days a Black coach gotta turn water into wine for someone to respect their resume
What does that have to do with the color of his skin? Dont even begin this kind of bullcrap on me.

Hurtt isnt good. Theres a reason Seattle is not a good team rn and its largely on a coaching staff that has been passed up wasting their QBs prime to the point where he wants to leave.

We have a Bama-like assistant coaching pool and we hire CLINT HURTT to be the DC when there are dozens of more qualified candidates out there?!

I mean, that’s just awful.
When @nystateofmind starts talking STRAIGHT, y’all better start listening!
Bernie Sanders Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Yea he parlayed his way into Asst HEAD COACH of an NFL team through the good ok boy system…..Man these days a Black coach gotta turn water into wine for someone to respect their resume
Well regarded recruiter and front 7 coach. Particularly d line and edge. I like him in that role. Primary DC, not so much.

Playcalling is big but outside of that has he ever done much overall gameplanning and marrying various positions into one unit? Any experience working with the schemes in the secondary?

I typically like back end guys as DC who are strong with coverages and pass defense. If Hurt is The guy we need a strong co-DC who specializes in the secondary and pass coverages.
Well I mean there is T-Rob on staff…

Advertisement
What does that have to do with the color of his skin? Dont even begin this kind of bullcrap on me.

Hurtt isnt good. Theres a reason Seattle is not a good team rn and its largely on a coaching staff that has been passed up wasting their QBs prime to the point where he wants to leave.
This is a reach and you’re mentally anchored on a select few names to say “he isn’t good”

If I was a coach that was needing a job soon and any school even emailed me I would make sure my name was out there as "in the running" for the job. It's all about publicity.

Advertisement
Why?

What has Mario done to earn the benefit of the doubt?
Because I’m not going to get into an emotion hissy fit over things that haven’t even happened yet. What has Mario done? Go do your research if you don’t know his coaching history. Same for Highsmith. Then get back to me

In terms of promoting a position coach to first time play caller. Hurtt checks all the boxes. Great experience. Great recruiter. Well thought of.

But we better pair him with some pretty **** good analysts/support staff.

Pair him with Dorsey or some other first time OC and we’d really be rolling the dice. Great play callers and schemers are rare. Most first time play callers are average or fail. I doubt we hit on both.

Because I’m not going to get into an emotion hissy fit over things that haven’t even happened yet. What has Mario done? Go do your research if you don’t know his coaching history. Same for Highsmith. Then get back to me

Well, for starters, at Oregon he hired two straight Spread Run OC’s despite have the best throwing QB in college ball.

That alone is enough to give me pause.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Schumann is 31 years old and has only been a coach on staff for 4 years and is already a co-DC. It’s very easy to see where his trajectory is headed.

Hurtt is 43 years old and has been coaching for 15 years and has never even been a co-DC.
Not to mention Schumann is a linebackers coach (position of need), been amongst reputable college coaches, savage recruiter, and is considered a genius amongst many collective football minds.

Hurtt may be a good recruiter, but he's been out of touch with the college football world for pretty close to a decade. That's the main difference to me, imo.

And btw, regarding this whole "Has he called plays?" argument... its the most overrated thing ever. Assistant coaches give suggestions on playcalls, work on the gameplan in the week coming up and discuss playcalls on the sideline all the time.

Advertisement
Back