Chigozie Nnoruka Note

Give these guys some time. DT takes a while to develop. They could be studs Jr/Sr years.
This. Nesta was a monster in HS, but DT is the hardest position to develop. How many DT have you seen come in and contribute year 1? Doesn't happen often. Our previous staff neglected multiple positions, with DT being one of them. Hopefully we can get some help for 19.

Advertisement
This was a huge mistake. Ford is a basketball kid who is making slow but steady gains. He needed the extra year.

Agreed and last year was the perfect year to get him that shirt with the new rule while still getting him a lot of meaningful reps in 4 games. Instead we played him sparingly in all games. Terrible roster management and unfortunately it hurt the kid.

We need Ford to step up. In the limited reps I have seen him play he has zero aggression. Just a big boy out there playing soft. Depth chart probably looks like this year.

DE: Garvin
DT: Bethel
DT: Nesta
DE: Patchan

2nd string is where it gets interesting

DE: Greg however you spell his last name
DT: Ford/Miller
DT: UCLA transfer ?
DE: Harvey/ another grad transfer

That second string looks real suspect right now.
D line depth has always been shaky with a huge talent drop off in the second string. We need the ucla DT and this DE boykin from georgia.

Jon Ford will be a RS Soohomore this year, he will contribute, but calling him a bust after his redshirt frosh season is ridiculous. Sometimes the light bulb comes on in the 3rd/4th year, especially in the trenches. Not everyone is Warren Sapp.

cortez kennedy agrees with you.

:11263272045-489f4f7972-o:

Advertisement
This was a huge mistake. Ford is a basketball kid who is making slow but steady gains. He needed the extra year.

true.

it may not be possible, but if he could somehow be protected this year with a 4 game redshirt, that would do wonders for both him and the DL room

Advertisement
We need Ford to step up. In the limited reps I have seen him play he has zero aggression. Just a big boy out there playing soft. Depth chart probably looks like this year.

DE: Garvin
DT: Bethel
DT: Nesta
DE: Patchan

2nd string is where it gets interesting

DE: Greg however you spell his last name
DT: Ford/Miller
DT: UCLA transfer ?
DE: Harvey/ another grad transfer

That second string looks real suspect right now.
Man only if we can land Hill...

Jon Ford will be a RS Soohomore this year, he will contribute, but calling him a bust after his redshirt frosh season is ridiculous. Sometimes the light bulb comes on in the 3rd/4th year, especially in the trenches. Not everyone is Warren Sapp.
I hope new Defensive staff and more training from DL coach will improve his skills and "aggressiveness". Also can't wait to see what a difference on on the field practice make vs mat drills.

Heading into his weekend official visit, the UCLA grad transfer DT is the next target from the portal that Manny Diaz and Co. are hoping to add to the roster in 2019. The staff is a huge fan of Nnoruka’s game, to the point that they have a higher grade on him than last season’s grad transfer DT Tito Odenigbo, who performed well in 2018 and eventually started opposite Gerald Willis down the stretch. I’m told the staff is expecting to leave this weekend’s visit with a commitment from Nnoruka, pitching a wide open DT depth chart with the loss of both senior starters. While I’m still hoping to hear a little more on the west coast talent, UM is certainly in a favorable position going into this visit at the very least.

Manny is that dude.

Advertisement
@Stefan Adams is Miami at all interested or pursuing Jaelyn Phillips the DE from UCLA. He was the top player in the country on 247 two years ago. I think he wants to stay in west coast but anything going on?

Advertisement

After watching Ford play i told the board i didnt expect to see him sprout till Junior year. He was rated high off of his potential and size...but he needed/needs a lot of work. I told yall the game i watched he was actually playing DE...and they had a 5'10 240 pd kid playing DT. He also went up against a Miramar Ol that was a div 1 level recruit much of the game and wasnt as active. He did have a sack b4 i got to the game though

I expect to see some gains this year from Ford in the rotation.

We NEED this guy or the Rice guy as well...Yall putting all hope in Nesta are setting your self up. Im the original board member to bring Nesta up on the board. He is good in spurts right now. He will be disruptive as he gets off the ball really well...I still wouldnt want him playing a sh*t ton of snaps..would like quality dt depth to keep guys like Nesta fresh and eating.

I read that part of the reason he’s leaving UCLA is because he wants to do stuff with music production and they don’t have a program. Manny should get Major Nine to reach out

I believe they also moved to a 3-4 which doesn’t really fit him and lost playing time because of it

Advertisement
Back