2024 CB Ellis Robinson IV

It’s about perception. 6 or 7 wins shows that we aren’t really a serious program. 8 or more shows we are on the right track. You want to steal a DB from UGA, you have to show that you are on the brink of breaking through.
Agreed x 10000%

but the one good thing about going 5-7 the year prior is anything north of 6 wins is considered improvement for the program. We win 8 games, and we should see a heighten level of buzz around the program and ESD should be a blast for us.

Win and we'll be cooking with grease.
Read my original post. I know 8 wins is different from 7 wins and totally different from 6 wins but my issue was setting the barometer for improvement at 9 games for a program coming off of a 5-7 season.

Advertisement
Read my original post. I know 8 wins is different from 7 wins and totally different from 6 wins but my issue was setting the barometer for improvement at 9 games for a program coming off of a 5-7 season.
And I’m trying to say that having issue with that is incorrect. 5-7 was so bad and so far below what we should have been that 7 wins just doesn’t move the needle. That’s the worst season Miami has had in I don’t know how long, even Manny did better than that. For the last two decades there has been this question of if Miami is finally back and every time we face plant. We win anything less than 8 and kids will roll their eyes and say same ole same ole and pass.

People forget Mario is a proven coach. He has shown an ability to up the wins in year 2 at every HC stop.

He isn't an unknown HC getting his feet wet.

This team is better across the board than 2022 except maybe CB but the secondary was a disaster based on communication on the backend.

The main reason 2022 was a disaster is you had a Hard A coach bringing a different mentality to a softer culture, you had a bad fit at OC, and you had an unsubstainable amount of injuries on the offensive side of the ball.

If a poster came on in preseason and said:

-TVD will Jack his shoulder up and miss basically half the season

-Chaney and Citizen will miss basically entire season

-Restrepo will miss half the season

-George will miss half the season

-Zion will miss majority of the season

-Justice will be forced to start then he will get injured and miss basically all of ACC play

-Rivers will miss majority of last 4 games

-Arroyo will miss all of ACC play

People would be In here posting 6-6 season incoming. Welp

I agree that injuries started to pile up, and in most cases, the replacement was much worse than the starter they where stepping in for.

You can blame the PITT and Clemson games on that unfortunate run of events. I’ll even throw in FSU.

What about the other losses?

And I’m trying to say that having issue with that is incorrect. 5-7 was so bad and so far below what we should have been that 7 wins just doesn’t move the needle. That’s the worst season Miami has had in I don’t know how long, even Manny did better than that. For the last two decades there has been this question of if Miami is finally back and every time we face plant. We win anything less than 8 and kids will roll their eyes and say same ole same ole and pass.
I'll say that Mario did a good job of lowering expectations to the point where expecting more than 7 wins seems unrealistic for a lot of people. I guess if you set the bar as low as possible, just slightly moving up seems like a positive. It's like the kid that gets an F the first semester in school who gets rewarded for bringing home a C- the following semester.

I'll say that Mario did a good job of lowering expectations to the point where expecting more than 7 wins seems unrealistic for a lot of people. I guess if you set the bar as low as possible, just slightly moving up seems like a positive. It's like the kid that gets an F the first semester in school who gets rewarded for bringing home a C- the following semester.
I don’t think Mario necessarily did this, it’s websites like this that made it. It’s not Miami exclusive either. Fans love to lie to themselves. The two largest threads on here are Nole and Gator tears where we make fun of them for the exact same things we are guilty of which is nonsensical rational and circular thought, the playbook, and just overall delusion. It’s why I bring up the golden rule of CFB on here and internally whenever I approach any subject about my Canes which is… if this subject/discussion applied to UF or FSU how would I react to and interpret said discussion?

Advertisement
In the past I would say wins and losses were highly overrated when it comes to recruiting. It’s important of course but not to the level where some of us make it out to be.

But I really do feel like this is the most important on field season we’ve had in recent memory.

If we flop, our goodwill will most certainly be gone. Any momentum we thought we had, out the window.

Mario is a national recruiter and in order to get those guys consistently, and pull DTs away from the SEC consistently, you have to win. If Mario wins here, there is no limit to what we can do recruiting wise.

We’ve been a program that consistently flirts with W-L swings because we are always in tight games that could flip on a play or two.

I think kids like this know we are nowhere near Clemsons level yet, but the point is to show them we are heading that way quickly and they can be a part of it.

Here’s a little math for everyone…

Calculating Oh No GIF by MOODMAN

15-0

I don’t think Mario necessarily did this, it’s websites like this that made it. It’s not Miami exclusive either. Fans love to lie to themselves. The two largest threads on here are Nole and Gator tears where we make fun of them for the exact same things we are guilty of which is nonsensical rational and circular thought, the playbook, and just overall delusion. It’s why I bring up the golden rule of CFB on here and internally whenever I approach any subject about my Canes which is… if this subject/discussion applied to UF or FSU how would I react to and interpret said discussion?
I just like calling out the hypocrisy of guys who claimed "Manny should have been fired after losing to FIU in his first season" but fully support Mario after losing to MTSU (by a lot more) during his first season. Like, why are your standards lower for a much more experienced and much more highly compensated coach than for a guy in his first head coaching job? I get it that we're counting on Mario to build a roster better but I'm just looking for some consistency. Poor coaching hires are why a 7-5 team went 5-7 last year.

But yes, it is a similar wash-rinse-repeat cycle that a lot of programs are stuck in.

1. New coach gets hired. -"Alright! This new guy is going to actually use our talent advantage and win games the last guy didn't"

2. Said coach struggles during year 1 - "he's got to rebuild the roster, the last guy left the cupboard bare. Once he gets his recruits, this thing will take off"

3. Two year later and the team is still mediocre - " We need to get rid of this guy. I knew he was a bum back when he first got here and didn't win like we should have!"

4. Next coach gets hired - "Alright! This new guy is going to actually use our talent advantage and win games the last guy didn't"

Advertisement
I just like calling out the hypocrisy of guys who claimed "Manny should have been fired after losing to FIU in his first season" but fully support Mario after losing to MTSU (by a lot more) during his first season. Like, why are your standards lower for a much more experienced and much more highly compensated coach than for a guy in his first head coaching job? I get it that we're counting on Mario to build a roster better but I'm just looking for some consistency. Poor coaching hires are why a 7-5 team went 5-7 last year.

But yes, it is a similar wash-rinse-repeat cycle that a lot of programs are stuck in.

1. New coach gets hired. -"Alright! This new guy is going to actually use our talent advantage and win games the last guy didn't"

2. Said coach struggles during year 1 - "he's got to rebuild the roster, the last guy left the cupboard bare. Once he gets his recruits, this thing will take off"

3. Two year later and the team is still mediocre - " We need to get rid of this guy. I knew he was a bum back when he first got here and didn't win like we should have!"

4. Next coach gets hired - "Alright! This new guy is going to actually use our talent advantage and win games the last guy didn't"
I don't think we as fans realized just how awful we were behind the big school in literally every facet of the football problem til Mario got here.

I don't think we as fans realized just how awful we were behind the big school in literally every facet of the football problem til Mario got here.
This is correct. Lots of folks were expecting to compete with the top 10 schools on a top 50 budget. Still it's not like the only teams we were losing to were big name/big budget programs. We've had a multi-year losing streak to Virginia. There's no real real excuse for Miami to have been a middle of the road ACC school the last 20 years. Should they have been winning the conference yearly? No, that's ridiculous. Should they have been better than a 7-5 program on average? Absolutely.

While I agree with your overall point I think the difference is Manny was here for 3 years before becoming HC so atleast half of the team’s “talent” deficiencies and dysfunction fell on him. Plus when he initially was handed the job he was talking about how we were really close to winning the ACC and just needed continuity to achieve that. As we know he quickly changed that to its a “rebuilding year” when he started to get his **** pushed in.

Mario on the other hand came in and saw the program was in dire straits and all he promised was his PC “we’re going to work” mantra. In any event, most posters jumped back on the Manny train that offseason when he pulled that “savage troll job” on FSPOO’s coaching clinic.

The staff underperformed, no ifs and butts. That was an abortion of a season. There were no high pointa, its like being rushed to the hospital in distress and then flatlining.

Do yall know Michigan started 2022 with a lower composite than us? Yet they went back to back in the Big, back back smoking Ohio St, in Columbus this time and back to back going to the playoffs.

At some point coaching has to matter and make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe its this season. I will stay with 7-5, leaning 8-4 till proven otherwise. If FSU can go from a losing season to 10 wins against pretty much the same schedule, why can we not? U cant preach future forever.

Advertisement
I think you’ll be surprised. I like this team. They made a lot of improvements on the roster and to the staff.

I feel the same way. I was thinking 6-6 going into the Spring. But after the changes from the portal transfers, the new staff and the incoming freshmen, I think we're a 8-10 win team barring something happening to TVD. There's always a worst-case scenario, so it's technically possible we go 6/7 wins. But I believe our target is 8.5, and we're just as likely to get 10 wins as 7.

Yes, Manny was covering up the holes with chicken wire and super glue. But it was a frickin disaster. ... That said, 2/3rds of the roster is now Mario kids. He flipped it fast. Many are young. But both talent and depth have been massively improved.

While I agree with your overall point I think the difference is Manny was here for 3 years before becoming HC so atleast half of the team’s “talent” deficiencies and dysfunction fell on him. Plus when he initially was handed the job he was talking about how we were really close to winning the ACC and just needed continuity to achieve that. As we know he quickly changed that to its a “rebuilding year” when he started to get his **** pushed in.

Mario on the other hand came in and saw the program was in dire straits and all he promised was his PC “we’re going to work” mantra. In any event, most posters jumped back on the Manny train that offseason when he pulled that “savage troll job” on FSPOO’s coaching clinic.
Yeah, I wasn't defending Manny, he deserved to be let go after the 2021 season. But even his terrible 2019 wasn't nearly as bad as 2022. If people were expecting big things in 2019, they must not have been paying attention to the depth chart on offense. Plus a **** OC hire. My whole point is, 7-5 wasn't good enough for a Manny Diaz coached Miami team. It definitely shouldn't be good enough for a Mario Cristobal coached Miami team.

Advertisement
In the past I would say wins and losses were highly overrated when it comes to recruiting. It’s important of course but not to the level where some of us make it out to be.

But I really do feel like this is the most important on field season we’ve had in recent memory.

If we flop, our goodwill will most certainly be gone. Any momentum we thought we had, out the window.

Mario is a national recruiter and in order to get those guys consistently, and pull DTs away from the SEC consistently, you have to win. If Mario wins here, there is no limit to what we can do recruiting wise.

We’ve been a program that consistently flirts with W-L swings because we are always in tight games that could flip on a play or two.

I think kids like this know we are nowhere near Clemsons level yet, but the point is to show them we are heading that way quickly and they can be a part of it.
They coming

Pause

I agree that injuries started to pile up, and in most cases, the replacement was much worse than the starter they where stepping in for.

You can blame the PITT and Clemson games on that unfortunate run of events. I’ll even throw in FSU.

What about the other losses?
Exactly! Duke, middle tennessee terrible. 7-5 year 1 is a lot different than 5-7. Maybe you should in a bowl game and win 8 games and have something to build off. This program has lost to crappy teams since joining the ACC and that part of it is brutal

Texas went 5-7 in 2021, they went 8-5 last year. But they lost 3 games by 7 points, 1 game to Bama by 1 point, when everybody thought they would get smoked and probably should have won the game and 1 game by 3 points. Their improvement came from fixing the OL and their QB even got injured. So they could easily have won 1 or 2 more games. That OL is the most important position in college football on offense or atleast 1b to QB.

Im thinking we are on a similar trajectory.

Advertisement
Back