Canes vs gaytors: The gaytarded View of Who's Better, by Position Group

DeeJay was productive last year as a full time RB? That’s news to me.

Where did he say "full time"? He didn't. And define "full-time" anyhow. Deejay played all year long, but was "only" our second leading rusher. He had fewer rushes last year than Perine, but Perine had fewer rushes than Homer. Homer's carries are going to go to SOMEBODY.

Come on, why do we have so many "Canes fans" who are nitpicking these semantic details and inventing things like "full time" that the prior poster didn't say?

Advertisement
I'm no expert overall or definitely haven't watched all of last year's Gator games yet, but our DL style, for example, is generally a tremendous problem for the type of offense they run. Where we'd struggle is if they spread us out more and had a consistently accurate QB. That's essentially a comparison of units and styles that will face off on the field. Franks has a career 56.8% completion percentage. There's a ton to be watched and talked about from now till Aug 24th, but my point was comparing our OL to their OL has never seemed useful to me.

Lu

If Al Golden can win.

Manny can too.

LOL, true AL Cane. Since we're comparing position groups and talent in general, should we compare results last year against common opponents? Or do we think it's meaningless to do that? LSU and F$U. Don't sh*t on me, I'm just asking the question...
Completely meaningless and you would be a fool to do that.

Advertisement
Your post is a ridiculous regurgitation of context-less stats.

Perine was the leading rusher for UF last year, which leads to his number of attempts and total yardage.

Travis Home was Miami's leading rusher last year, and he had more carries and total yardage than Perine.

Thus, you are trying to UF's leading rusher to Miami's second option. Which is just stupid.

The point is much simpler. Dallas is a RB moving from second-most-used to (possibly) our most-used RB. Attempts and yardage will increase if that happens. It would be one thing to compare Perine to, say, a UM RB who had barely played last year. In that case, you could potentially make the argument that Perine's experience is worth more than a Miami freshman's "potential".

But 5.7 yards per carry and 6.2 yards per carry are both good.

If you are looking at the TOTAL running back situation, though, you have to look beyond an apples-to-oranges comparison of just 2 players.

Look, I happen to think that UM's returning RBs Dallas, Davis, and Lingard are better than UF's returning RBs Perine, Pierce, and Davis. You can try to throw stats out there, but you are also ignoring that there will be a lot more rushes and yardage available for UM because we are replacing Homer, as opposed to UF replacing Scarlett.

Yards and attempts in my eyes are supporting stats for the average. 1/2 a yard per carry more is HUGE. The average for both homer and DJ last year was lower than Scarlett and Perine. Across the board, their running backs performed at a higher level than ours.

We know our offense will be better than last year because last year was an all time low for us and the coaching and system should be competent. What we don't know is by how much we will improve/perform better at QB and on the OL.

The other thing we don't know is how much the defense will take a step back. We've lost Gerald Willis, the most dominant DT we've had in years, we lost our two starting safeties, one of which was AA caliber in terms of production and erasing big plays, we lost an NFL CB in MJ, we have no proven replacements at DT or S and are especially thin at corner.

While the offense was so bad last year, it would be almost impossible not to be better, the defense was so good, it would also be difficult to repeat that level of performance even if everyone was coming back.

Excited about Manny, but this season is a HUGE question mark.

That said, of course we are going to beat the gaytor. It's what we do.

Advertisement
The other thing we don't know is how much the defense will take a step back. We've lost Gerald Willis, the most dominant DT we've had in years, we lost our two starting safeties, one of which was AA caliber in terms of production and erasing big plays, we lost an NFL CB in MJ, we have no proven replacements at DT or S and are especially thin at corner.

While the offense was so bad last year, it would be almost impossible not to be better, the defense was so good, it would also be difficult to repeat that level of performance even if everyone was coming back.

Excited about Manny, but this season is a HUGE question mark.

That said, of course we are going to beat the gaytor. It's what we do.

Everyone said our DL was ****ed when Norton and Mac left.

Everyone said our secondary would go to **** after we lost all our DB's in 2016.

The staff has proven (even with a HIGHSCHOOL coach who everyone **** on) it can coach up units/players already on both counts.

The defense may not be top 5 but it wont drop to 50th in the country. Our offense not being ranked 104th should help as well.

Yards and attempts in my eyes are supporting stats for the average. 1/2 a yard per carry more is HUGE. The average for both homer and DJ last year was lower than Scarlett and Perine. Across the board, their running backs performed at a higher level than ours.

Well now you are changing the narrative, it is either A. Look at the close of last year and compare position by position group; or B. It is based on potential this year which is what this post is about.

Last year I would take their OL over ours, **** they have likely 3 guys getting drafted from that OL, one in the first round. You can't look at a RB stats from last year and apply them to this year considering OL is kinda important....

Advertisement
Well now you are changing the narrative, it is either A. Look at the close of last year and compare position by position group; or B. It is based on potential this year which is what this post is about.

Last year I would take their OL over ours, **** they have likely 3 guys getting drafted from that OL, one in the first round. You can't look at a RB stats from last year and apply them to this year considering OL is kinda important....

If you look at my above posts, I was pretty consistent with what angle I was comin from....I bet heavy on these games and don't like speculation and "what ifs" where I can avoid it.

If you look at my above posts, I was pretty consistent with what angle I was comin from....I bet heavy on these games and don't like speculation and "what ifs" where I can avoid it.

Still doesn't make sense.... You are saying "knowns and stats" Perine is better than DJ, but last years stats has absolutely nothing to do with this year. Perine averaged a 1/2 yard more a carry running behind a top 10 pick that is no longer there and a former 5-star that is no longer there. Again, your post said as of this moment but then use last years stats to support your current argument.

Advertisement
Where did he say "full time"? He didn't. And define "full-time" anyhow. Deejay played all year long, but was "only" our second leading rusher. He had fewer rushes last year than Perine, but Perine had fewer rushes than Homer. Homer's carries are going to go to SOMEBODY.

Come on, why do we have so many "Canes fans" who are nitpicking these semantic details and inventing things like "full time" that the prior poster didn't say?
He said DeeJay was productive as a RB, when half of his production his freshman year was from positions other than RB. The when he moved to strictly a running back last year he was terrible. From FSU on he was unserviceable as he fumbled two games away.

Advertisement
Back