Canes vs gaytors: The gaytarded View of Who's Better, by Position Group

Advertisement
Florida’s rbs are trash , wr core is meh , ol is a mess.

I live in Gainesville and know too much about these *****. Anyone that thinks their rbs are better than ours is smoking crack.

Qb . Both teams are suspect , Franks is trash. Their own fans hate him. Piglet schemed him to some decent stats.
Rb-UM
Wr - Tie
Te- haha, seriously ?
Ol- Both teams are suspect
DL- Miami
Lb - Miami
Cb- UF
S - Tie.

This is my list. At the moment, I give the edge at safety to UF, but then you factor in Keontra Smith coming in as well as Bolden, then it's a tie. I'll give them corner, they have more depth at the position than we do. Can't really argue for QB because we have no way of knowing who our starting QB is and if he'll be better than Franks (actually, I'm sure that whoever it is will be better than Franks).

[

Ok but the gaytor was evaluating position group vs position group. Even if Perine were number 1, which I dont see based on ability, I also don't see that group having an edge. It's DJ, Cam and Lo vs Perine and who- Pierce, Clement??? I dont even know who they have.

Perrine's a good RB. But yeah, who's their 2nd and 3rd RB. Since it's a position comparison, then that's where I give us the edge at RB.

Advertisement
I agree. I believe RB's (Harris) will be better going forwards, and the oline/new scheme will do wonders for the FUTURE run game...... but going off knowns and stats.....DJ doesn't touch Perine's numbers

L Perine- 134 ATT-826 yds-Avg 6.2
DJ Dallas-109 ATT-617 yds- Avg 5.7

Your post is a ridiculous regurgitation of context-less stats.

Perine was the leading rusher for UF last year, which leads to his number of attempts and total yardage.

Travis Home was Miami's leading rusher last year, and he had more carries and total yardage than Perine.

Thus, you are trying to UF's leading rusher to Miami's second option. Which is just stupid.

The point is much simpler. Dallas is a RB moving from second-most-used to (possibly) our most-used RB. Attempts and yardage will increase if that happens. It would be one thing to compare Perine to, say, a UM RB who had barely played last year. In that case, you could potentially make the argument that Perine's experience is worth more than a Miami freshman's "potential".

But 5.7 yards per carry and 6.2 yards per carry are both good.

If you are looking at the TOTAL running back situation, though, you have to look beyond an apples-to-oranges comparison of just 2 players.

Look, I happen to think that UM's returning RBs Dallas, Davis, and Lingard are better than UF's returning RBs Perine, Pierce, and Davis. You can try to throw stats out there, but you are also ignoring that there will be a lot more rushes and yardage available for UM because we are replacing Homer, as opposed to UF replacing Scarlett.

Very true. I've said in "Gator Tears" that I'd take our DL vs their OL any day over their DL vs our OL. Same with our front seven against their OL. I think what happens up front determines the game and i see us winning that.

That said, I'm not qualified beyond fan status unlike a coach or film junkie who know what they're really looking at. So, how do you see it?
I'm no expert overall or definitely haven't watched all of last year's Gator games yet, but our DL style, for example, is generally a tremendous problem for the type of offense they run. Where we'd struggle is if they spread us out more and had a consistently accurate QB. That's essentially a comparison of units and styles that will face off on the field. Franks has a career 56.8% completion percentage. There's a ton to be watched and talked about from now till Aug 24th, but my point was comparing our OL to their OL has never seemed useful to me.

Advertisement
Miami has much better RB then UF. of all the position groups I would say that is Miami's biggest advantage sans TE.

I sincerely hope the entire gator fan base agrees with that assessment because it will hurt that much more if we win.

This is my list. At the moment, I give the edge at safety to UF, but then you factor in Keontra Smith coming in as well as Bolden, then it's a tie. I'll give them corner, they have more depth at the position than we do. Can't really argue for QB because we have no way of knowing who our starting QB is and if he'll be better than Franks (actually, I'm sure that whoever it is will be better than Franks).
They're not supposed to be that good at Safety.

I've always thought comparing one team's position group to their opponent's same position group is the most absurd exercise. Who cares? Our OL plays against their front 7. Our DL plays against their brand new OL and RBs. Our DBs don't match up with their DBs; instead they line up against their WRs/TEs. All sports, individual or team, come down to matchups/styles. If you understand that, you get a better sense of what to look for, I think.

THIS.

And breaking it down this way I think we matchup well. The strength of our team is our defensive front and LB's. Their biggest weakness is the OL. Their strength offensively is their WR's and our biggest question mark is the DB's. If our front 7 cant cover that up it will be tough on our secondary. I think we contain Perine.

On the flip side, our strength offensively should be our RB's and TE's and their biggest question mark defensively will be replacing impact players and depth in the front 7. Their DB's are the best unit on their team. Big edge for them there vs. our unproven wr group (outside of JT4). I think our opportunity in this game lies in the mismatch our two dynamic TE's present as well as using the backs out of the back field. Sprinkle in some big plays from JT4 and our offense should be able to do enough.

Advertisement

Stop comparing the same position groups for each team. Our safeties don't line up against their safeties.

Stop comparing the same position groups for each team. Our safeties don't line up against their safeties.
LOL, true AL Cane. Since we're comparing position groups and talent in general, should we compare results last year against common opponents? Or do we think it's meaningless to do that? LSU and F$U. Don't sh*t on me, I'm just asking the question...

QB - UF
RB - UM
WR - UF
TE - UM
OL - even
DL - UM
LB - UM
DB - UF

Advertisement
There WR’s are far superior. What has anyone done besides JT to say ours is better. Our TEs **** on theirs as does the DL and LBs. Everything else debatable.

DeeJay Dallas has been productive for 2 seasons but we don't have any proven RBs? Oh and Jeff Thomas is better than any of their WRs. Gaytor fans suffer from mental illness.
DeeJay was productive last year as a full time RB? That’s news to me.

They have more experience at QB and WR but I wouldn't say they have better talent. I wouldn't trade whoever wins the competition at QB here for Franks. A majority of our guys at WR are sophomores with only one season in Richt's bottom of the barrel passing game. They don't have anybody whose had as productive a season as Osborne don't have anybody nearly as dangerous as Thomas.
Osborne played in a weak conference tho...

DeeJay was productive last year as a full time RB? That’s news to me.

Where did he say "full time"? He didn't. And define "full-time" anyhow. Deejay played all year long, but was "only" our second leading rusher. He had fewer rushes last year than Perine, but Perine had fewer rushes than Homer. Homer's carries are going to go to SOMEBODY.

Come on, why do we have so many "Canes fans" who are nitpicking these semantic details and inventing things like "full time" that the prior poster didn't say?

Advertisement
Back