Canes Football QB starter will be named tomorrow

Very curious about Demetrius Money's take in this. He was a Perry guy all along

Rosier had the best camp. Shireffs was better early on but tapered off. Perry is clearly most gifted but isn't ready right now. A redshirt would surprise me, though.

I don't think the coaching staff knows who the QB is yet. Rosier will get the first shot and hopefully he slams the door against FSU.

yes, but aren't they a bit more confident that evan has the mental edge when the lights are on? my understanding is that they see evan as a steadier hand when bullets are flying, and like austin p. has said, evan's the better overall athlete so he can extend plays a bit more elegantly.

thoughts?

I agree, but neither have really been tested like that so it's guesswork.

Also, Rosier is a better fit in the system. His arm strength makes a difference. If this year's Evan was in last year's offense, I think he would've won it. He's better than Rosier throwing between the numbers but worse throwing outside them.

ok, that's not unfair, but in that case, why not run more waggles and naked to get evan to/outside the tackle box in certain packages? if the fit is the issue, then tailor it a bit, because i think from mental/leadership perspective, the intuition is that evan is where you start and go from there.

Advertisement
Richt had this to say today about Rosier in relationship to the mental part of the game

“Malik made a really good check in the scrimmage and turned it into a touchdown,” Richt said. “That shows that he knows what he is doing and guys can have confidence that he knows what he is doing. He took a good situation and made it a great situation.”

“Quarterbacks earn leadership through execution,” Richt said. “They earn the respect of their team by knowing what to do. It is not only knowing what to do, but being able to deliver.”

Rosier had the best camp. Shireffs was better early on but tapered off. Perry is clearly most gifted but isn't ready right now. A redshirt would surprise me, though.

I don't think the coaching staff knows who the QB is yet. Rosier will get the first shot and hopefully he slams the door against FSU.

yes, but aren't they a bit more confident that evan has the mental edge when the lights are on? my understanding is that they see evan as a steadier hand when bullets are flying, and like austin p. has said, evan's the better overall athlete so he can extend plays a bit more elegantly.

thoughts?

Also, Rosier is a better fit in the system. His arm strength makes a difference. If this year's Evan was in last year's offense, I think he would've won it. He's better than Rosier throwing between the numbers but worse throwing outside them.

ok, that's not unfair, but in that case, why not run more waggles and naked to get evan to/outside the tackle box in certain packages? if the fit is the issue, then tailor it a bit, because i think from mental/leadership perspective, the intuition is that evan is where you start and go from there.

IIRC Richt Jr. said recently that one of Evan's big problems is throwing on the run or in a less-than-perfect pocket, so maybe the waggles and rollouts aren't effective with him?

I've always loved the idea that at UM our offense should be so good that we just didn't need a running QB. With that said, I think I'm gonna like seeing our QB turn the tides for a change and run a little wild on the FSU D they way their QB's have often been a headache running on us and opening things up for their offense. I'm just hoping the kid doesn't make too may mistakes. If he doesn't I think his ceiling might be a bit higher than most anybody's been willing to give him credit for.

To me it's not even their running ability, but their willingness to run when it's 3rd and 3 and they know they can get 4 yards. They ALL have that willingness, and certainly enough mobility to do it. Our O could be very dangerous this year.

Completely agree but it will be a two edged sword. More explosive plays but probably more turnovers also.

Advertisement
Honestly, can they just put the redshirt on N'Kosi and be done with it? Like, seriously, why rush this guy if there are two upperclassmen clearly outperforming him in PRACTICE.

Your analysis reeks of too much reason and even headed-ness. We're talking QB's here! Only hot takes allowed! At least call for Rick's job if <insert any QB name here> isn't starting by FSU week.

thoughts?

IIRC Richt Jr. said recently that one of Evan's big problems is throwing on the run or in a less-than-perfect pocket, so maybe the waggles and rollouts aren't effective with him?

This is why the whole Evan is the best athlete bit confuses me. All I have to go on is the Boca spring scrimmage and accounts like yours, but there is basically nothing tangible that puts him as even an average athlete, even if that itself is higher than his HS profile might indicate.

I've always loved the idea that at UM our offense should be so good that we just didn't need a running QB. With that said, I think I'm gonna like seeing our QB turn the tides for a change and run a little wild on the FSU D they way their QB's have often been a headache running on us and opening things up for their offense. I'm just hoping the kid doesn't make too may mistakes. If he doesn't I think his ceiling might be a bit higher than most anybody's been willing to give him credit for.

To me it's not even their running ability, but their willingness to run when it's 3rd and 3 and they know they can get 4 yards. They ALL have that willingness, and certainly enough mobility to do it. Our O could be very dangerous this year.

Completely agree but it will be a two edged sword. More explosive plays but probably more turnovers also.

Nah. That's like worrying about potentially more turnovers because we convert more 3rd downs for a fresh set of downs. We'll be fine once our 3rd down conversion percentage goes up, consistently.

Advertisement
Not a fan of rosier but hopefully dude can have a year like marquise williams did his senior year at unc.

As a UM fan, why would you not be a fan of a UM player who has been a good UM man and seems to have won the QB competition fairly after being **** on and doubted by every insider?

Im just not sold on him. He did a good job vs the 2nd unit but he isnt going to be playing backups on saturdays.

I don't have to be a fan of his just because he plays at miami. It's the same as dudes talking shït about duke, kaaya, morris and etc.

I understand not being sold on him. I'm not completely sold on any of our QBs. I just didn't get the "not a fan of Rosier " comment.

That's basically what i meant. Nothing personal against the guy. Like i said i hope he plays well. This program can't afford another 8 win season right now.

rosier doesnt need to win the heisman for us to succeed. did anyone catch a glimpse of jalen hurts' extraordinary passing capacity last year? he sucks throwing the ball. we need core competency, few turnovers, few mistakes and we will succeed.

Ding,ding,ding,ding we have a winner.
Just want a guy to limit the turnovers, with this D, it will be hard for an opposing O to consitantlly move the ball on long drives. This D should put our O in short field opportunities.

I thought Richt's comment applied more to arm strength.

As in, when bodies are flying and Shirreffs needs to dial up the juice quickly, he doesn't have the pure arm to do it. He needs to be in position and on time.

Advertisement
Richt had this to say today about Rosier in relationship to the mental part of the game

“Malik made a really good check in the scrimmage and turned it into a touchdown,” Richt said. “That shows that he knows what he is doing and guys can have confidence that he knows what he is doing. He took a good situation and made it a great situation.”

“Quarterbacks earn leadership through execution,” Richt said. “They earn the respect of their team by knowing what to do. It is not only knowing what to do, but being able to deliver.”

Haters gonna hate!

I thought Richt's comment applied more to arm strength.

As in, when bodies are flying and Shirreffs needs to dial up the juice quickly, he doesn't have the pure arm to do it. He needs to be in position and on time.

Neither did Dorsey, Walsh, or Kosar. All of them had very average arms.

Advertisement
Kosar's arm was better than average.

I remember when he won the job. He had the 3rd or 4th best arm on the team. What he had was good ball placement, decision making, and just enough arm to get the job done. Had the internet been around in 1983 it would have been on fire with him winning the job.

Here's my take. Rosier will be named the starter today as he should be given his performance and improvements during camp. He has been the best QB. Most coaches say, "QB X is our starter going forward" and that's the end of it, unless there is injury, they don't pan out, or they start losing games. However, Richt has consistently said he would name our GAME 1 starter.. That being said, Rosier has earned that up to this point. Let's jump on board, support him, and see how he does. In the mean time, Coach Richt is still leaving the competition open going forward, still giving Perry and Sherieffs every opportunity. Bottom line is after today we have our starter for BCC. After that who knows. I hope that they all keep working hard and competing because everyone of them look like they have improved throughout camp.

Riding with Malik to the ACCCG and hopefully a playoff spot if we can get past whoever we're playing...kid seems to have done what was necessary to win the job.
Love the guys that say" I'm trusting whomever Richt picks then in the next sentence says" Richt making a mistake going with Malik over Evan ".

Richt is supposed to be the QB guru so I'll trust whomever he picks and if Perry isn't starting by the FSU game I hope they RS him.

Kosar's arm was better than average.

I remember when he won the job. He had the 3rd or 4th best arm on the team. What he had was good ball placement, decision making, and just enough arm to get the job done. Had the internet been around in 1983 it would have been on fire with him winning the job.

Actually, the Internet was around in 1983, but it was limited to electronic mail and primitive, Usenet-based applications. Mostly in academia and government. The Personal Computer had rolled out by that time, iirc.

Advertisement
Back