Canes Football QB starter will be named tomorrow

Advertisement
I've always loved the idea that at UM our offense should be so good that we just didn't need a running QB. With that said, I think I'm gonna like seeing our QB turn the tides for a change and run a little wild on the FSU D they way their QB's have often been a headache running on us and opening things up for their offense. I'm just hoping the kid doesn't make too may mistakes. If he doesn't I think his ceiling might be a bit higher than most anybody's been willing to give him credit for.

QBs who can run have absolutely killed FSU. They typically feast on statuesque QBs.

Exactly. Can't wait to see one of their linebackers swing and whiff on Rosier.

do what Brad couldn't do Malik, wins the close ones against the top teams

Brad was all floor no ceiling when he got here a finished product that didnt get any better out of highschool. Didn't help that he didnt have to compete for the job either.

Malik was all raw potential, wasnt ready immediately like Kaaya was BUT will be a better qb bc of his potential and the fact that he had to actually compete for the job.

Will be the 1st qb since Jacory to beat FSU

Advertisement
I think it will be Shirreffs by tomorrow, and I'm basing that on two things: What Richt says he's looking for in the starter--efficiency, knowing where to go with the ball, and limiting mistakes; And what Richt compliments Evan on--efficiency, knowing where to go with the ball, and limiting mistakes.

I like Evan, but for all the praise he gets on here for good decisions and not turning the ball over, I think his turnover numbers are equal or higher than Rosier in scrimmages with less reps than Rosier.

Fair point. However, that "knows where to go with the football," line is ringing in my ear for some reason.

there is a difference between dumb throw wrong read turnovers vs. just bad throw right read turnovers. But it looks like Malik based on the timing. And this might just be an A and B scenario because someone has to start. The other may still get plenty of reps during actual game situations with a solid starter named by the time FSU rolls around. Things may still change. And I'd feel the same way if it is Sherriffs that gets the nod tomorrow.

Agreed. I think it's been a truly open competition where every player has been given an opportunity to prove themselves ready, and whoever gets named will have undergone one of the most rigorous and fierce QB evaluation periods in a long time at Miami.

and that evaluation period may continue. It was that close of a competition that Richt may want to see them under live fire and how they handle that. He was only able to do that once and got one of his qbs injured.

I like Evan, but for all the praise he gets on here for good decisions and not turning the ball over, I think his turnover numbers are equal or higher than Rosier in scrimmages with less reps than Rosier.

Fair point. However, that "knows where to go with the football," line is ringing in my ear for some reason.

there is a difference between dumb throw wrong read turnovers vs. just bad throw right read turnovers. But it looks like Malik based on the timing. And this might just be an A and B scenario because someone has to start. The other may still get plenty of reps during actual game situations with a solid starter named by the time FSU rolls around. Things may still change. And I'd feel the same way if it is Sherriffs that gets the nod tomorrow.

Agreed. I think it's been a truly open competition where every player has been given an opportunity to prove themselves ready, and whoever gets named will have undergone one of the most rigorous and fierce QB evaluation periods in a long time at Miami.

and that evaluation period may continue. It was that close of a competition that Richt may want to see them under live fire and how they handle that. He was only able to do that once and got one of his qbs injured.

Yep. I normally despise scheduling cupcakes to open the season, but this year it just might be a blessing.

Someday I hope to get the real story between Richt and Kaaya. I think Richt knew Kaaya was the wrong QB for his system and was faced with the choice of scrapping it for an offense built around Kaayas strength (which meant everyone from Richards to the line would be losing another year of experience with the RPO) or a different qb. Maybe not as "talented" a QB, but a better fit for his system. I think Rosier is going to be a far better RPO qb, so it's about matching qbs with systems, not just how tight a spiral a kid can throw.

Advertisement
Not a fan of rosier but hopefully dude can have a year like marquise williams did his senior year at unc.

As a UM fan, why would you not be a fan of a UM player who has been a good UM man and seems to have won the QB competition fairly after being **** on and doubted by every insider?

Yes, where does the hate come from? We really haven't seen him play.

Not to bring up a sore subject but how did Allison make the decision to leave? It seems likely that he would of been a major candidate for consideration to be the starter if his play was decent. The article that came out had his Father saying that Miami wanted more of a mobile quaterback to run the offense. That comment made me think N'kosi was our guy before he even arrived. Was Allsion that bad or just weak mentally? Was Jack not better than Evan? I kind of wish he was still here. Definitely had the best arm talent of the bunch except for N'kosi. I will support Malik though 100% as long as he manages the game, can complete some long passes and doesn't play scared and make mistakes. Our defense is good enough to keep us in every game.

Starter for the 1st game will be named. What happens after that?

I think Rosier and Sheriffs will get burn game 1 no matter who starts. The opponent is just that over matched. We may even see the third stringer out there at the end if (when) it gets out of hand.

I'm more interested in how the Oline does. If they can protect and run block, doesn't matter much who will be out there at qb. UM has what it has at the position. Two that have been in the system and two freshmen with talent but no experience at this level. That Oline is the key.

Advertisement
Well, I just hope we don't do no bs of playing two qbs in the same game, unless the starter is absolutely sucking.
Having 2 qbs in the game just makes it easier for the defense to stop you. I would be down for a Deejay Dallas wildcat package to be unveiled at the FSU game, so we don't give them time to plan it. But if Rosier is the starter, I don't want Rich switching and using other qbs when the season really begins.

Not to bring up a sore subject but how did Allison make the decision to leave? It seems likely that he would of been a major candidate for consideration to be the starter if his play was decent. The article that came out had his Father saying that Miami wanted more of a mobile quaterback to run the offense. That comment made me think N'kosi was our guy before he even arrived. Was Allsion that bad or just weak mentally? Was Jack not better than Evan? I kind of wish he was still here. Definitely had the best arm talent of the bunch except for N'kosi. I will support Malik though 100% as long as he manages the game, can complete some long passes and doesn't play scared and make mistakes. Our defense is good enough to keep us in every game.

Even though countless people have said Perry is no more mobile than our other QBs?

Advertisement
I've been saying it since the day Kaaya declared for the draft so I'm not gonna back down now.....it's gotta be Rosier.

And honestly, it's the right choice for both this team's current season and Perry's long term career. Give the kid a redshirt and let him compete for the job next year. If all goes well it will be a heck of a competition next summer.

Even though countless people have said Perry is no more mobile than our other QBs?

I think Rosier, Shirreffs, and Perry are all more mobile than Allison.

Just re-watched the Duke game Rosier started in. He was servicable even then & im sure he's gotten better. I think he's gonna run this offense well.

rosier doesnt need to win the heisman for us to succeed. did anyone catch a glimpse of jalen hurts' extraordinary passing capacity last year? he sucks throwing the ball. we need core competency, few turnovers, few mistakes and we will succeed.

Advertisement
Back