Canes 9-3 according to USA ToDay..

Let me say this as clearly as I can.

Losing THREE games THIS season with THAT schedule and THAT defense would be a failure of a season. Richt is making ALOT of money...there are no excuses for not winning the Coastal this year and news flash....a three loss record ain't winning you the Coastal.

Advertisement
Conference play is tough, and the ACC is the worst for these types of shenigansl. Expect the unexpected.

Nobody expected for UNC to upset FSU at home last year.

NC State missed a chip shot FG that would've given them a win at Clemson.

Teams like GT, Pitt, ND, VT, perhaps UNC will be talented enough to give us a game.

Miami isn't losing at home this year. VT is by far the biggest game of the year. Beat them and we should win the Coastal. It's payback time vs. ND. UNC seems to be that school that gives us fits, we are 6-7 against them since joining the ACC. I see us losing there before we lose at Pitt.

Losing THREE games THIS season with THAT schedule and THAT defense would be a failure of a season. Richt is making ALOT of money...there are no excuses for not winning the Coastal this year and news flash....a three loss record ain't winning you the Coastal.

This is probably true based on what we want to believe as fans, but the built-in excuse of Kaaya leaving and starting a freshman QB is already reflected in the Vegas lines.

Advertisement
OK, so I looked at the ACC standings since we went to divisional play.

Surprisingly, there have only been a couple of times when a team has BOTH lost 2 or more ACC games AND finished in some sort of a tie for 1st in the division. Most of the time, a divisional winner goes undefeated in conference play or only loses 1 game. OR ELSE a school wins their division outright, even with 2 or more losses.

In 2005, F$U and BC both finished 5-3 in the ACC.

In 2008, not only did F$U and BC both finish 5-3, but VaTech and GaTech went 5-3 on the Coastal side of things.

And in 2012, we had the infamous 3-way tie where UM, UNC, and GaTech all went 5-3, and both UNC and UM pulled out of the post-season due to NCAA investigations.

So I have a hard time seeing us lose 3 ACC games AND winning the Coastal, and I still think it's unlikely that we lose 2 ACC games AND win the Coastal.

The division is so weak right now I highly doubt a team goes the entire season losing a minimum of one game in conference play. None of Pitt, VT, UNC or GT are anywhere near a complete team and could all drop games to one another that throw everything into chaos. This has all the makings of a fluky year.

I'd say we're the only wild card because we're the closest to being a complete team. If the QB play swings to our favor and we get lucky with injuries, we could be the most consistent team and take advantage of the weak conference.

Conference play is tough, and the ACC is the worst for these types of shenigansl. Expect the unexpected.

Nobody expected for UNC to upset FSU at home last year.

NC State missed a chip shot FG that would've given them a win at Clemson.

Teams like GT, Pitt, ND, VT, perhaps UNC will be talented enough to give us a game.

Can't forget an awful Syracuse (who we play) beating the eventual Coastal Champions, V-Tech (who destroyed us).

ACC is like Afghanistan man.

We literally have no idea how our QB play will turn out. No reason to expect a 10-2 season.

Advertisement

agree! no excuse for losing more than 2 reg season games with this schedule.

The only games I see us losing this year possibly are Road games, I don't think we'll lose at Home.

So, that basically leaves FSU, UNC & maybe Pitt.

I think we'll win at least 2 out of those 3 Road games, we're not losing to Duke or Toledo on the Road.

We're not losing to GTech, Notre Dame or Va Tech in Hard Rock & Idgaf how cold it is, Pitt ain't beating us on the road either.

We should beat UNC pretty handily considering how much they lost last season, I mean they literally added something like 5 or 6 Grad transfers for this year all at key positions for starters & they haven't recruited all that well either.

FSU is really the only question mark on the schedule, because regardless of who our QB is they have a very athletic Defense on the edge that produced a ton of Sacks last year.

I think we can beat them finally, but we're going to have to play our best Football of the season in all 3 phases of the game in order to get it done.

We play Toledo at home. Arky State on the road.

OK, so I looked at the ACC standings since we went to divisional play.

Surprisingly, there have only been a couple of times when a team has BOTH lost 2 or more ACC games AND finished in some sort of a tie for 1st in the division. Most of the time, a divisional winner goes undefeated in conference play or only loses 1 game. OR ELSE a school wins their division outright, even with 2 or more losses.

In 2005, F$U and BC both finished 5-3 in the ACC.

In 2008, not only did F$U and BC both finish 5-3, but VaTech and GaTech went 5-3 on the Coastal side of things.

And in 2012, we had the infamous 3-way tie where UM, UNC, and GaTech all went 5-3, and both UNC and UM pulled out of the post-season due to NCAA investigations.

So I have a hard time seeing us lose 3 ACC games AND winning the Coastal, and I still think it's unlikely that we lose 2 ACC games AND win the Coastal.

Lmao you just listed three instances when a team lost 3 acc games and still could have won the division. In the acc, **** like this happens all the time. It's definitely possible. Especially with the fact that there is no truly dominant team in our division.

I think we're going to have a late 2000s/early 2010s Frank Beamer Virginia Tech-style season:

L - Bethune-Cookman
L - Arkansas State
W - Florida State
L - Toledo
W - Duke
W - Georgia Tech
W - Syracuse
W - North Carolina
W - Virginia Tech
W - Notre Dame
W - Virginia
W - Pittsburgh
W - Florida State, ACC Championship
L - UT-San Antonio, Orange Bowl

10-4

Advertisement
I believe we win 10 games or more. But I'm with Rok that it's very possible we could lose two ACC games and still make the ACCCG. The Coastal teams are going to beat each other up this. Also, Va Tech plays Clemson and Pitt plays NC State. Neither are pushovers. And those guys seem to have much harder time with Ga Tech than we do. ... Not worried about UNC this year.

I think we're going to have a late 2000s/early 2010s Frank Beamer Virginia Tech-style season:

L - Bethune-Cookman
L - Arkansas State
W - Florida State
L - Toledo
W - Duke
W - Georgia Tech
W - Syracuse
W - North Carolina
W - Virginia Tech
W - Notre Dame
W - Virginia
W - Pittsburgh

10-4

we aren't losing to Toledo.

L - Bethune-Cookman
L - Arkansas State
W - Florida State
L - Toledo
W - Duke
W - Georgia Tech
W - Syracuse
W - North Carolina
W - Virginia Tech
W - Notre Dame
W - Virginia
W - Pittsburgh

10-4

lulz L to UTSA at the Rock?

Take a knee my friend

Advertisement

L - Bethune-Cookman
L - Arkansas State
W - Florida State
L - Toledo
W - Duke
W - Georgia Tech
W - Syracuse
W - North Carolina
W - Virginia Tech
W - Notre Dame
W - Virginia
W - Pittsburgh

10-4

Coker isn't coaching UTSA anymore. We roll.

9-3 seems highly likely.

Nobody wants to believe that we're capable of losing to inferior ACC teams but it happens every year, and not just to us.

GT beat FSU in 2015.

Pitt beat Clemson in 2016.

It's a wacky conference.

I think people forget even the best team of all time could have lost to BC with less than a minute to go. Just got by VT by 2, now we're talking about putting a freshman in to start and expect to go 11-1? The following year we are all expecting 11-1 or better if we find a QB.

ESPN projection has us at 11-1. the only game we're not favored is fsu, that's without knowing who the qb will be. I can easily see 11-1 or 10-2. AL golden isn't coaching anymore, amateur hour is over.

All right, I gotta call this one out for the most basic of issues - the author, Alex Makrides appears to have just graduated from UGA within the past few months and is spitting out content at a ridiculous rate. He's just doing his job, but it appears that his job is just to grab a few factoids (probably from Porter) and toss out a record without A) any real analysis, B) statistics and C) validation as to his reasoning.

The article does not provide a lick of insight or rationale and should be flatly ignored at this point.

I think the defense is too good to lose 3 games but the offense does worry me. I could see if we had a dominant OL with a run game to lean on but I don't trust the OL to do that. The weapons are certainly there but the two biggest parts of the offense(OL & QB) are the two biggest questions.

Advertisement
Back