Canes 9-3 according to USA ToDay..

Honestly shocked out how dismissive people are at the possibility of losing 3 games. I feel like we could bump this same thread every year and it would be the same people blowing sunshine.

Schedule is favorable but it always is- the coastal has sucked for a decade

Advertisement
Coastal doesn't suck. The SEC East sucks, the whole Little 12 sucks. Coastal is a middle of the road division. Sure, we and VT should be dominating it every season, but it doesn't suck

Lose to FSU and Notre Dame?

Only if Richt vapor locks on the play calling like last year.

I hate to point this out, and I'm not singling you out, but last year's play calling wasn't all on Richt. His offensive system is all about using a power running game to wear down teams and set them up for play-action over the top. Kaaya's footwork from under center was atrocious, but couple that poor footwork with poor run AND pass blocking and you've got a recipe for disaster. And it's why Richt switched to the RPO and short passing game, hoping that these would serve as running plays to keep the defense honest.

I know Richt took a lot of heat, saying that his play calling was a little rusty, but y'all didn't believe that right? I mean, no coach is going to come out and say he couldn't call the game he wanted because he didn't have the players to execute the game plan. But for real, he's been a QB coach and offensive coordinator for two Heisman Trophy QB's and a head coach for 15 years. He didn't forget how to call plays.

So Richt's plan is power running, setting up the pass? That's the SEC mindset alright.

Problem was, we had doo-doo for a power running game. Running backs were fine. Opposing teams knew if they loaded the line to stop the run, they could simultaneously pressure the Kaaya statue. So why keep running into a wall, play after play, series after series - when nothing was there?

You never reinforce (repeat and continue) a bad attack. Never. But we sure as Hades did.

Kaaya was either hot or cold. There was no in between. When cold - for heaven's sake - Rosier couldn't have possibly done any worse. The old ladies in the Rest Home had more mobility and moves than Kaaya. Watch some of those games again - he actually ran INTO, and TOWARD - defenders - or just fall down.

Richt has to take advantage of what he has, what the opponent has, and knock off this Power Run First mentality.

This ain't the SEC, and we're not Georgia or Alabama.

Lose to FSU and Notre Dame?

Only if Richt vapor locks on the play calling like last year.

I hate to point this out, and I'm not singling you out, but last year's play calling wasn't all on Richt. His offensive system is all about using a power running game to wear down teams and set them up for play-action over the top. Kaaya's footwork from under center was atrocious, but couple that poor footwork with poor run AND pass blocking and you've got a recipe for disaster. And it's why Richt switched to the RPO and short passing game, hoping that these would serve as running plays to keep the defense honest.

I know Richt took a lot of heat, saying that his play calling was a little rusty, but y'all didn't believe that right? I mean, no coach is going to come out and say he couldn't call the game he wanted because he didn't have the players to execute the game plan. But for real, he's been a QB coach and offensive coordinator for two Heisman Trophy QB's and a head coach for 15 years. He didn't forget how to call plays.

To your point about Richt's "offensive system", you act as if he was never the OC at F$U.

Give the guy a bit of credit, he is capable of coaching more that one "offensive system". SEC might be one thing, but the ACC style of play requires more than just Alabama-style game managers at QB. Richt is capable of adapting.

10-2 or better.............Canes beat N.D. and exact revenge on Tar heels this year. Assuming 3 losses means multitude of injuries and/or Qb plays mediocre.

Advertisement
Playing FSU every year shrinks the margin for error in the conference, that's for sure.

We could lose to them EVERY year during the regular season, it doesn't matter. If you win the other 7 ACC games, then we're in the ACCCG. We need to take care of our business and control what we actually do.

Let me say this as clearly as I can.

Losing THREE games THIS season with THAT schedule and THAT defense would be a failure of a season. Richt is making ALOT of money...there are no excuses for not winning the Coastal this year and news flash....a three loss record ain't winning you the Coastal.

This right here.

Honestly shocked out how dismissive people are at the possibility of losing 3 games. I feel like we could bump this same thread every year and it would be the same people blowing sunshine.

Schedule is favorable but it always is- the coastal has sucked for a decade

Not dismissive.

But if we lose 3 games, we won't be in the ACC-CG.

Coastal doesn't suck. The SEC East sucks, the whole Little 12 sucks. Coastal is a middle of the road division. Sure, we and VT should be dominating it every season, but it doesn't suck
coastal sucks and has sucked for years.... c'mon bro

Advertisement

OK, I do not understand BOTH 9-3 AND winning the Coastal.

Look at the schedule.

Let's say we lose to F$U as one of our losses. OK...

So that just leaves 2 options. Either we lose to 2 more ACC teams OR we lose to 1 more ACC team and Notre Dame.

Let's say it is the Notre Dame option. Presumably, the other ACC team we would lose to would be a division opponent, such as UNC or VaTech.

Then, with TWO losses in the ACC, and with either UNC or VaTech holding a tie-breaker over us, that means that one of those teams would need to lose THREE games in the ACC for Miami to win the Coastal. AND that means that nobody else finishes with only 1 loss in the Coastal (and presumably that loss would be to UM).

And it gets even harder to go 9-3 AND win the Coastal if we beat Notre Dame.

It just seems very unlikely.

Either we win 10 or more and win the Coastal...OR we win 9 or fewer and lose the Coastal.

Most of these predictions are made by guys who have less knowledge about the team than the average poster on this site. Them saying 9-3, to me, signals a lot of confidence from people who generally make conservative predictions for fear of being wrong. They don't understand the nuance of what you laid out but they want to say Miami will be best team in the coastal, without going far enough to say we're a 1 or 2 loss team..

9-3 to them means we're a a cut below Alabama and the playoff teams, more than saying we're gonna lose 2-3 costal games. I can't see anyone beating us at home this season with the defense we have, and FSU will be tough because they have a vet QB who can ball and we're on the road.

So I think we can be a 1 loss team this season, because by the time we play UNC (8th game) and Pitt (12th game) the offense should settle in enough to let the talent show out.

Last edited:
All we need to do is beat the teams we are better than plus the noles and we win them all go to ACC title game. Unfortunately, are horrible talent for losing to teams that have no business beating us continued last year so who knows. Mark could not excel with experienced QB, so lets hope he can pick the one that makes the magic with him. If there is a winner among our choices at QB, that is the one we need, regardless of anything else. Who will make THAT drive that matters, find him and go.

SO WHEN THE FU@k DID WE START CONCEDING TO AN AUTOMATIC F$U LOSS BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN KICKS THE FU@K OFF? YOU GUYS CAN LIFT YOUR SKIRT TO THEM 'NECKS IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER....BUT I'M LOOKIN' TO BURN TRAILERHASSE TO THE FU@KIN' GROUND 9/16...GET ON BOARD OR GTF OFF THE TRACKS....WE COMIN'!!!

Last edited:
Our QB play looks to be very bad. 3-4 losses is real. Pray perry has a big jump before the season starts.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back