Business owner announces $540K/year NIL commitment to Miami

Advertisement
For sure but ignorance is bliss for a lot of people. Allows them to grasp to a sense of nostalgia (often false nostalgia) or some concept of how they wish things were vs how they actually are.

I'll just never understand the people that acknowledge that widespread "cheating" is obviously happening and that it's punished in a beyond biased manner (in the rare instances that it actually is) but then are still for the status quo. And these people are often fans of programs like ours that certainly aren't advantaged in the old system.
from my perspective i think we might be better off in a system where cheating is illegal and getting caught creates some disincentive to cheat as opposed to a system where cheating is not cheating anymore and all the schools (alumni and boosters) that were cheating can now do more in the open than we are capable of doing.

Would be nice if the athletic department made financial classes mandatory so kids could actually learn to protect their money instead of ****ing it away.

Better yet, entrepreneur/business offers finance education for athletes and hires a few to help promote or even teach it.

Boosters are already giving kids $100k+ and there is little to no parity anymore (see the teams in the playoffs every year). This eliminates the fear of getting hit with heavy sanctions while some schools are protected regardless of the evidence against them.

NIL at least gives SOME schools a chance to be competitive with Bama, Clemson, etc. in today's recruiting landscape. A school like Duke or UVA, for example, doesn't stand a chance to become a big boy regardless of NIL or not. But, we do now. Just need to combine a good NIL program with better results on the field.

Lets clarify it... You think Miami will... because you think that local businesses and fan support will outweigh booster support.

The thing is no one knows... no one really knows how much illegal booster support is out there for each school. Or even bigger is when its legal, how much support will be out there.

One trend we do know is that elite schools receive way more donations each year than non elite schools. Donations are an indication of how numerous and willing to give alumni are. Duke pulls in way, way more donations than Miami. So does USC, UCLA, Stanford, Notre Dame and OSU. There are about 20 schools out there that pull in over 25% of all the school donations in the country. Miami does get some big donations from time to time but they are in not a top 20 school along those lines. Stanford brings in over a billion dollars every year. Bloomberg himself gave over a 1.5 billion dollars to Johns Hopkins. You get one billionaire whose crazy about football at his school and he can basically put a top notch team on payroll. If he can count it a business expense then its going to be the wild west.

From what I see this thing could go anyway and many schools feel like it gives them some advantage, but until the dust settles no one really knows.

Advertisement
You got give Díaz, and dare I say, Blake James, credit for taking initiative in this opportunity for the players and the University and being ahead of the curb with this new law. They were ready. Eventually, the rest of the county will catch up. Let’s just hope we can close the gap between sponsor bags and under the table bags.

This is exactly what will happen. It won't be the death of college football, but it's gonna turn into just funneling money to players through a shell company.

SEC schools have been skipping the shell company and moving money directly from boosters to players for decades. This might actually make it a tiny bit harder for SEC schools because people have to be proficient at reading & writing to fill out the forms required to create a shell company.

If Manny wanted to donate a mil of his salary to the “Bring The U Back” campaign….Would it be legal??

Lets clarify it... You think Miami will... because you think that local businesses and fan support will outweigh booster support.

The thing is no one knows... no one really knows how much illegal booster support is out there for each school. Or even bigger is when its legal, how much support will be out there.

One trend we do know is that elite schools receive way more donations each year than non elite schools. Donations are an indication of how numerous and willing to give alumni are. Duke pulls in way, way more donations than Miami. So does USC, UCLA, Stanford, Notre Dame and OSU. There are about 20 schools out there that pull in over 25% of all the school donations in the country. Miami does get some big donations from time to time but they are in not a top 20 school along those lines. Stanford brings in over a billion dollars every year. Bloomberg himself gave over a 1.5 billion dollars to Johns Hopkins. You get one billionaire whose crazy about football at his school and he can basically put a top notch team on payroll. If he can count it a business expense then its going to be the wild west.

From what I see this thing could go anyway and many schools feel like it gives them some advantage, but until the dust settles no one really knows.

There's no denying at this point, which is still really early, Miami is at the forefront of being at the top of the NIL game. It is the wild west but look at what Phil Knight and T Boone Pickens did for their respective schools in trying to use their billionaire money to build up the programs. Is that not an unfair advantage as well?

I think it gives us a fighting chance if we execute it the right way AND we show results on the field.

Advertisement
Apologies if mentioned earlier or elsewhere but here are the supposed restrictions:

This is just the start, I would imagine. The first one listed is going to become the new bump rule. How is Miami not allowed to discuss Ignite with prospective players?

The 40k limit is also interesting. Miami has a higher than normal tuition rate I would assume. If players exceed that threshold at UM then they need to exceed it by a lot to cover their costs or it isn’t worthwhile.

from my perspective i think we might be better off in a system where cheating is illegal and getting caught creates some disincentive to cheat as opposed to a system where cheating is not cheating anymore and all the schools (alumni and boosters) that were cheating can now do more in the open than we are capable of doing.
We might disagree as to if the new structure improves the landscape for Miami specifically but I don't disagree with your initial premise aside from the fact that the NCAA and colleges in general have failed on this front for 40+ years now and there was no reason to think it was just going to get worse.

The NCAA being feckless AND greedy beyond belief is responsible for this pendulum swinging so far and so fast. We can hate some of the effects of it but we must adapt and at least Miami is showing to be clearly at the forefront so far.

One thing we never did when we were at the top of the college football world in the past was adequately build off of those successes and that momentum. Mayyyyybe if we can at least lead the way initially in this new world AND combine it with on the field success then we actually will have some shot at somewhat keeping up with bluebloods and cash cow programs that will soon maximize these opportunities too.

SEC schools have been skipping the shell company and moving money directly from boosters to players for decades. This might actually make it a tiny bit harder for SEC schools because people have to be proficient at reading & writing to fill out the forms required to create a shell company.
The question is how " how many Companies will be SHELLING out $$$$$$$'s in order to be competitive?". With enough scratch they will fill it all out for you...so the players need not worry...

Advertisement
Apologies if mentioned earlier or elsewhere but here are the supposed restrictions:

Tad show me the money, and I will find or come up with enough gray are to cover that, and more.
Undoubtedly offers of delayed payments spread over however long you might want, and other gray areas will be explored.
Always an out or a stretch to push the bubble.... it will be found.

Don’t expect any real enforcement from the NCAA. It’s all smoke and mirrors at this point. I don’t believe the NCAA has the authority to enforce any restrictions on consideration. The Supreme Court basically said as much. This is going to be a joke.

Advertisement
Dan Lambert sighting at the AEW event at the Knight center. He even got into the act. wonder if he's got something cooking with AEW?

1625708684871.png

1625708700719.png

Last edited:
This is exactly what will happen. It won't be the death of college football, but it's gonna turn into just funneling money to players through a shell company.

That’s more or less what it is now, especially for the bag schools. This gives teams like Miami at least a fighting chance without having to worry about preferential rules enforcement that favor the SEC bag schools.

Advertisement
Back