Business owner announces $540K/year NIL commitment to Miami

Advertisement
So would this mean that the player can leave one program to play at another without any NCAA repercussions since they won't be on scholarship?

NIL2.jpg

Without NIL, Miami had absolutely no chance of being competitive again. To actually have a chance at a championship, you have to drop bags. If Miami decided tomorrow it wanted to build a championship roster quickly and got into the bag dropping business as deeply as Bama, UGA, Clemson, OSU (and even Oregon) , the NCAA would crack down in an instant and hit Miami with penalties so severe it would make the death penalty seem like a mercy killing. NIL doesn't level the playing field but it presents the only possible chance (admittedly slim) , of getting back to prominence since we can't break the rules the way many other schools do.

There are a lot of Miami fans who have the money to donate and want to help the program, but they aren't giving because they don't want to fund the clown show inside the Hecht. At least now we can make direct contributions to players and bypass Blake James. The MMA guy said he's already been contacted by many other businesses in S Fl who are like minded and want to do something similar to make the U great again. Miami was the first program in the NIL era to have deal that benefited all the players on a team. There is plenty more to come.

Superstars at any school in the country are going to get rich, but I'm proud that Miami is being recognized as being the one team in the country that is making sure every player benefits. What did D'Eriq King do after signing his NIL deal? He announced he was going to share with his teammates. Like he said, "When I eat, we all eat." Why is that of all the schools, Miami is the one that is signing deals where all 85 players benefit instead of just the superstars, and the star players on the team that also sign individual deals are, on their own initiative, sharing their windfall? As the saying goes, "It's a U thing. You wouldnt understand."

Don't disagree with any of that. I agree NIL is better for us than the old system.

My post was more about how I think we'll stack up against the traditional large school powers in this new NIL world. Bottom line of my post: I agree that NIL is better for UM, however it will not provide us with an outright advantage compared to those other schools who traditionally got it done with bags.

The bag schools bring a lot of numbers to the NIL game, and many many small and mid-sized privately owned companies and businesses who'd love to align themselves with the state flagship university. I think that will add up to more NIL revenue for SEC, OSU, Clemson, etc schools than what we will be able to make available.

But as I noted in my original post, it certainly does improve our position relative to prior recruiting years. Because while we may not able to match the SEC, OSU, etc we can still make meaningful NIL money available, which will be enough for some elite kids.

Advertisement
How are endorsements ops not going to be weighed when choosing what school to go to?

Seems like a disaster. Not that kids are getting paid but in that parity will suffer because the money schools will do whatever is necessary to keep their school at the top of that list. What's to stop a booster from saying I need you to promote my tailgate and hand the kids 100K?

Alabama has won like six rings in the last 15 years. What parity?

Would be nice if the athletic department made financial classes mandatory so kids could actually learn to protect their money instead of ****ing it away.

Understanding something and behaving in a certain way are two entirely different things.

Morbidly obese people probably know drinking soda isn't a good idea. Smokers know smoking kills.

Forcing financial literacy would probably not move the needle one bit in regards to athletes blowing money.

Advertisement
It is the wild west but look at what Phil Knight and T Boone Pickens did for their respective schools in trying to use their billionaire money to build up the programs. Is that not an unfair advantage as well?

Kind of hilarious that all that money couldn't buy either program a ring. Oregon, in particular, is like Florida laughable given their resources relative to their success.

This is just the start, I would imagine. The first one listed is going to become the new bump rule. How is Miami not allowed to discuss Ignite with prospective players?

The 40k limit is also interesting. Miami has a higher than normal tuition rate I would assume. If players exceed that threshold at UM then they need to exceed it by a lot to cover their costs or it isn’t worthwhile.

The 40K limit is absurd given in-state school tuition pales in comparison to private school in most states. That needs to be normalized.

Maybe this is ultimately what Bring Back The U will do, but, why can't there just be a company that does nothing but take donations from boosters and pays players? I don't think you can put parameters around what an endorsement actually is. But let's say they need to do something... so once a month our entire team shoots a commercial just relentlessly trashing UF.

Centralizing it is very smart. Make it one massive fund. If the "company" is a non-profit and strictly established for the benefit of the university, then it also stands to reason that you could legally effectuate pay for play. King throws for four TD's? Great, he gets a $25K bonus, because he made the university look good and that's the mission of the entity paying him.

I don't see how all of this doesn't devolve into exactly that.

Advertisement

Its state by state and that original document (from Rudy Carpenter) is, as far as I know, unconfirmed.

Don't expect any impact on scholarship eligibility (see Cannon Smith). But increased annual income will obviously have an impact on financial aid eligibility in accordance with relevant federal and state rules.

Advertisement
so at this time D'Eriq King is now a walk on? I wonder if this has any bearing on our scholarship numbers. obviously not on the initial counters.
Well, I did some research and, as another poster already pointed out, the document is unconfirmed. I am pretty sure if such a "border" for maximum profit existed, everyone would know about it and the NCAA would have made that absolutely clear.

Advertisement
Back