Business owner announces $540K/year NIL commitment to Miami

As indicated previously on this thread, "self-made" is an extraordinarily subjective term. As is "known" wealth.

The "problem" is that the University of Miami is a university, not a football team.

The Herbert family gave $100 million not too long ago to name the School of Business. As a Herbert School of Business alum, I will GLADLY take that money to reflect on my degree over hiring a few extra assistants.

People who go to real schools do so to earn the strongest degree possible and make a career, not to win football games. This fanbase does not understand that. Nobody going to Stanford is prioritizing the football team over the university.

I can send you the report if you want to know how they define "self-made" and determined known wealth. It's probably impossible to be exact unless every single alumnus publishes his or her tax records, but I think WealthX is making a decent approximation. I've donated to both the athletic department and the law school. Whether Miami law is ranked #35 or #55 doesn't really affect my job prospects anymore- I'm long past the point where what law school I attended and where it is ranked matters. On the other hand, I take great pleasure in seeing Miami win at sports and it's neat to throw on my Canes gear after a big win (it's been a long time since we've had that signature win) and have random people ask me where I got my old school UM hat (it's looks old school because it is very old!) You can prioritize both.

Advertisement
I can send you the report if you want to know how they define "self-made" and determined known wealth. It's probably impossible to be exact unless every single alumnus publishes his or her tax records, but I think WealthX is making a decent approximation. I've donated to both the athletic department and the law school. Whether Miami law is ranked #35 or #55 doesn't really affect my job prospects anymore- I'm long past the point where what law school I attended and where it is ranked matters. On the other hand, I take great pleasure in seeing Miami win at sports and it's neat to throw on my Canes gear after a big win (it's been a long time since we've had that signature win) and have random people ask me where I got my old school UM hat (it's looks old school because it is very old!) You can prioritize both.

While admittedly being a little persnickety, you can't exactly prioritize both. Some money is given for athletics, some for academics, some for whatever. Regardless, funds are finite and you have to choose how to spend them. That's what Miami is doing. The 90% of Miami fans who have never stepped foot on campus don't understand that, nor do they care.

I couldn't give two ****s about academic rankings, because they are absolutely meaningless and not remotely based in academic rigor. But I care very much about my fellow alums succeeding and making The U (and ostensibly, me) look good. Landing on a list like "most self-made millionaires" is a great look. And at the same time, of course I want the sports teams to do well. It's not only another way to make The U look good, but it also makes the local community and alumni base want to show up that much more. Admittedly, there's no better advertisement for The U as it relates to enrollment and selectivity than whooping the absolute **** out of a hated opponent at Hard Rock in prime time.

Animated GIF

re: baseball team

25 players
tuition minus aid is at $30,000 per year
$750,000 to essentially have a 25 scholie team

UM with 25 baseball scholies in this area with that brand.....dangerous

Please let me dream

Should be interesting to see how all of this stuff pans out. As someone mentioned earlier, we do have the advantage of being in one of the biggest metro areas in the country, which means LOTS of potential local business partnerships. I wonder if this will eventually spill into deals directly with the school itself. The players could be doing warms ups at Palacio De Los Jugos Practice Field in a few years.

I don’t wanna imagine what will happen at other schools, like with the Boone Pickens family and Okie State. Recruits will each get their own oil rig upon signing.

Advertisement
How soon till they start finding way to pay top recruits to ‘endorse’ Miami business before they arrive on campus? That’s where all this is headed and where you’re gonna build a championship team. 💰

Haven't had time to read all the comments here, but I vote Lambert for Number 1 Canes fan ...... rest of us get in line behind him! let me know where you would be during the first game, beers on me!

25 players

Please let me dream
If 25 are on the team then there is no way we get 25 scollies. Most supports give out a mix of partial full scholarships. They also give more to women. For example, track gives more women scholarships then men’s.

i don't mean formal ships, just the money to effectively offer 25 kids 100% baseball free rides

and yes, i know we get 11.7, so we'd be talking 400K or so a year for the remaining 13.3

Advertisement
Other programs are watching UM. If they can do this, Texas A&M has more billionaires than any other university and they will respond to get recruits.
Miami as a city can compete with any schools rich donors. Do the players want to do a photo shoot on south beach for Jose Cococbongo Diego's mercedes dealership or Ricky's steam cleansers in Tuscaloosa. This will benefit Miami way more than the current powers that be.

I'm still long on major urban, commercial centers with diverse and robust business climates.

The shoe companies will obviously be major players and I am eagerly waiting for the first "legal" Reggie Bush. But outside of the potential national shoe/athletics brand endorsement, I think the majority of the market - at least initially - will be served by local business interests and merchants. I personally don't foresee other major national consumer companies getting involved at this stage: soft drinks, snacks, automobiles, etc. Once you're a proven commodity as a Junior/Senior - see Trevor Lawrence - then maybe.

Places like Alabama and Auburn may have an advantage in that they have less competition for their entertainment dollars. Its Alabama and Auburn basically. But the entire state is roughly 4 million people. Dade county alone is almost 3 million. To say nothing of Broward (1.7M) and Palm Beach (1.5M).

So in my opinion, that density of opportunities will be really important in enticing and recruiting talent both out of high school but as well as the transfer portal.

Excellent post. Well thought out.

I think the opportunities in South Florida are much greater. Whether those are exploited or not is another matter.

Population density, and being an international destinations familiar to the rest of the world definitely help.

I guess being in a cesspool helps. (For those that don’t get this, there was a currently band porster saying Miami was a cesspool, I’ll bet he squirming in his band box now)

we are not going to win this. what we have here is a way for boosters to legally give bags of money to players. the big schools have more boosters than we have who own companies and are willing to fork over huge amounts of money to players.

Unfortunately I see it this way as well. When Alabama was recruiting Tua, suppose the booster club promised they would do a "T-shirts for Tua" and promise 50,000 shirts at a $10 licensing fee to Tua once he signed and was enrolled. Bama's booster club could absolute move 50k shirts for a top recruit/player easy. Boom, that's $500k. That's the power of these schools with huge, rabid fan bases.

Also I don't see the main NIL play as a national brand sort of thing. Some of that for the elite of the elite, but it'll be targeted at a handful of elite players and only after they've become elite. Doesn't really work as a recruiting advantage for one school over another.

Moreso the case I believe, will be these local companies who start using player likenesses as a way to funnel money to players. Car dealerships, construction companies, etc., etc., etc. A bunch of small/medium sized business will all play this game, and on a cumulative basis given the numbers it will be a ****load of money.

That's where the real money is imo, and it doesn't favor us compared to the huge land grant universities that are the pride and joy of their states, with massive numbers of highly loyal alumni.

What hopefully does occur, however, is that we can offer enough such that some elite kids will conclude that while they could make more at Bama or TA&M, but they can stay home and be still be plenty comfortable. Of course there'll still be the kids who chase the largest bag, only legally so now.

Advertisement

25 players

Please let me dream

THIS is where A-Rod can make things right from passing on us. AND he's now in a position to not need to spend piles of money on someone who has little more to offer than taco flavored kisses.

Animated GIF

Last edited:
Haven't had time to read all the comments here, but I vote Lambert for Number 1 Canes fan ...... rest of us get in line behind him! let me know where you would be during the first game, beers on me!

Allan Herbert gave the University $100 million like two years ago.

The notion that giving money makes you the "biggest fan" is laughably absurd.

Excellent post. Well thought out.

I think the opportunities in South Florida are much greater. Whether those are exploited or not is another matter.

Population density, and being an international destinations familiar to the rest of the world definitely help.

I guess being in a cesspool helps. (For those that don’t get this, there was a currently band porster saying Miami was a cesspool, I’ll bet he squirming in his band box now)

Here's what else helps: lots of extremely wealthy people choose to live in South Florida. As I posted earlier, the vast majority of our wealthiest trustees are not alumni. Part of what makes The U special is not only its location but being a private school and pursuing academic rigor. The wealthy want their names on buildings and that's easier to accomplish at a private institution. My intuition (and the little uninformed research I have on the matter) indicates that wealthy donors are MUCH more likely to give to a (relatively) elite private research university than a big state school, if for no other reason than they are in a much better position to dictate the terms of the gift. Especially when they're not specifically a fan of the team/program.

To my knowledge the largest gifts The U has ever received were each for $100 million. Stuart Miller is an interesting case because he could have given that $100 million to his undergrad alma mater, Harvard, and giving rates are certainly higher to undergrad than grad school. But he chose to give it to The U. Maybe because it's what got his name on the building, and the price tag was much higher for the Chan school.

There's also another interesting notion. With Miami being a relatively young institution, we have a few very big money Trustees who are getting way up there in age. I can see a good possibility we start to see some big gifts left in wills.

Advertisement
Unfortunately I see it this way as well. When Alabama was recruiting Tua, suppose the booster club promised they would do a "T-shirts for Tua" and promise 50,000 shirts at a $10 licensing fee to Tua once he signed and was enrolled. Bama's booster club could absolute move 50k shirts for a top recruit/player easy. Boom, that's $500k. That's the power of these schools with huge, rabid fan bases.

Also I don't see the main NIL play as a national brand sort of thing. Some of that for the elite of the elite, but it'll be targeted at a handful of elite players and only after they've become elite. Doesn't really work as a recruiting advantage for one school over another.

Moreso the case I believe, will be these local companies who start using player likenesses as a way to funnel money to players. Car dealerships, construction companies, etc., etc., etc. A bunch of small/medium sized business will all play this game, and on a cumulative basis given the numbers it will be a ****load of money.

That's where the real money is imo, and it doesn't favor us compared to the huge land grant universities that are the pride and joy of their states, with massive numbers of highly loyal alumni.

What hopefully does occur, however, is that we can offer enough such that some elite kids will conclude that while they could make more at Bama or TA&M, but they can stay home and be still be plenty comfortable. Of course there'll still be the kids who chase the largest bag, only legally so now.

Without NIL, Miami had absolutely no chance of being competitive again. To actually have a chance at a championship, you have to drop bags. If Miami decided tomorrow it wanted to build a championship roster quickly and got into the bag dropping business as deeply as Bama, UGA, Clemson, OSU (and even Oregon) , the NCAA would crack down in an instant and hit Miami with penalties so severe it would make the death penalty seem like a mercy killing. NIL doesn't level the playing field but it presents the only possible chance (admittedly slim) , of getting back to prominence since we can't break the rules the way many other schools do.

There are a lot of Miami fans who have the money to donate and want to help the program, but they aren't giving because they don't want to fund the clown show inside the Hecht. At least now we can make direct contributions to players and bypass Blake James. The MMA guy said he's already been contacted by many other businesses in S Fl who are like minded and want to do something similar to make the U great again. Miami was the first program in the NIL era to have deal that benefited all the players on a team. There is plenty more to come.

Superstars at any school in the country are going to get rich, but I'm proud that Miami is being recognized as being the one team in the country that is making sure every player benefits. What did D'Eriq King do after signing his NIL deal? He announced he was going to share with his teammates. Like he said, "When I eat, we all eat." Why is that of all the schools, Miami is the one that is signing deals where all 85 players benefit instead of just the superstars, and the star players on the team that also sign individual deals are, on their own initiative, sharing their windfall? As the saying goes, "It's a U thing. You wouldnt understand."

Dan Lambert, owner of elite MMA gym American Top Team, just announced that he is committing $540k a year ($500 a month for each scholarship player) to advertise for his team and products. This is a groundbreaking deal.

He is also starting the Bring Back the U foundation to encourage and organize further investment from the local community. Kendrick Norton will be running the foundation with Lambert and UFC fighter Jorge Masvidal will act as brand ambassador.

Agree with TimeBum.The only way we can level the playing field against SEC schools,Ohio State,Clemson,and Oregon is by paying our players legally through the NIL .We raise 3.2 million dollars per year we can pay these athletes 3,000 per month for their services and compete against the bag droppers.

The only thing that concerns me about this is the whole, “Pandora’s box being opened” concept. We all KNOW where this is heading: This week it’s $500 a month at Miami, then it’s $5,000 a month at Ohio State, and then Bama raises it to $10,000 a month, etc. It’s not that I’m against these kids making money, but I’m concerned that eventually it will create an even bigger disparity in college football. All I’m saying is that if a line isn’t drawn somewhere it will continue to grow.

Advertisement
Back