Bubba Bolden Rumors?

Don’t really remember that? He has impressive ball skills, in the mold of rashawn jenkins imo

It was last years offseason. The whole team looked bad against Wisky in 17 trying to cover those 2 stars and walkons. Smith was the worst of them all trying to cover. The coaches put him in there because they wanted to stop Taylor. It backfired when they started throwing. I give him credit for knowing what was going to happen. He was always a couple steps behind and couldn’t catch up. It’s not for a lack of straight line speed so much as guys going in and out of breaks. He’s not good in open space. Definitely more of an in the box guy. I was looking forward to seeing him at striker. It’s a shame we’re having S depth issues at the moment. What’s Smith done to impress with ball skills?

Advertisement
You do know smith is playing fs now right? He was moved from striker in the spring.
That’s not a good thing. I know he was moved back to safety because of injuries and lack of depth. I can see SS but not FS. It seems like this team is lacking a true FS. Carter isn’t a FS. Hall seems like the logical candidate at FS but hasn’t run away with it. Bubba needs to get his butt in school already. Keontra needs to get up to speed also.

...He wont start or likely play much vs UF, but he should be ready to be an impact player vs UNC

I’m not even thinking about UNC...I don’t know when he’ll be allowed to enroll and start practice for fall, but classes start Aug 19, and students can move in Aug 13, so let’s say he can get in sometime between Aug 3 and Aug 13. Then you’ve got 5 days acclimatization. How much real practice does that leave him? A week, maybe a little more? The game is Aug 24. Unless it’s special teams, I’m willing to bet he doesn’t get in the game as a safety unless it's garbage time and it doesn’t matter.

That’s not a good thing. I know he was moved back to safety because of injuries and lack of depth. I can see SS but not FS. It seems like this team is lacking a true FS. Carter isn’t a FS. Hall seems like the logical candidate at FS but hasn’t run away with it. Bubba needs to get his butt in school already. Keontra needs to get up to speed also.
Hall was balling in the spring. The coaches was naming him as a player who has taken his game to another level. Hall can play either spot but he took off in the spring at SS.

Once August comes around It would have literally been just under a year since he played not 2.... remember he was in line to start at Free safety game 1 for usc just last year in 2018..

Wrong.

Broke he barely got in, in 2017.

Or let’s just say this, he played a few plays in Nov 2017. He had like 3 fūcking tackles all year. That’s 1.75 years since he played in an actual game...and that was as a scrub for a couple of games.

The guy has not played a full football game since high school in 2016. That’s almost 3 years since he’s played a full football game.

You people are nuts. I’m not saying he isn’t going to be important, but he’s going to need a few weeks of practice, and by a few weeks I mean into September, well into September.

Advertisement
Wrong.

Or let’s just say this, he played a few plays in Nov 2017. He had like 3 fūcking tackles all year. That’s 1.75 years since he played in an actual game...and that was as a scrub for a couple of games.

The guy has not played a full football game since high school in 2016. That’s almost 3 years since he’s played a full football game.

You people are nuts. I’m not saying he isn’t going to be important, but he’s going to need a few weeks of practice, and by a few weeks I mean into September, well into September.

We have some delusional people on this board who must have Bolden posters in their room. Yes we need Bolden but he won’t be ready for Florida. It’s not even debatable. I’m not sure why we are the only two who understand this.

We have some delusional people on this board who must have Bolden posters in their room. Yes we need Bolden but he won’t be ready for Florida. It’s not even debatable. I’m not sure why we are the only two who understand this.

These geniuses don’t understand what being in football shape means.

Wrong.

Eric berry tore his achilles and missed the entire 2017 season and didn't come back until december of 2018. He started his first game back. And that was after not playing a full game since january 2017.

Isn't K Smith already on campus working out and practicing with the team in captain-led sessions? You got two starters in Carter and Hall. Between K and D Smith, I think we'll have enough of a rotation to keep Knowles off the field.

IMHO, you put Bolden out there before Knowles, even with only a week of practices under his belt. He was slated to be USC's starting strong safety last season. With Bolden, Mullen has a 50/50 chance of exploiting his rustiness/inexperience with Miami. With Knowles, Mullen has a 100% chance of exploiting his slowness and inability to process plays. Rip the band-aid off with Bolden, and take our chances.

Advertisement
Eric berry tore his achilles and missed the entire 2017 season and didn't come back until december of 2018. He started his first game back. And that was after not playing a full game since january 2017.

Was Berry practicing? Bolden literally hasn’t been doing anything besides his own workouts. You think Diaz is going to put a kid on the field in a prime time opener who hasn’t practiced? If he can somehow get here first day of August he could possibly have a chance cause that’s 3 weeks of practice but that’s pushing it.

I agree with everything you’re saying in this thread. The only thing I’d push back on a little bit is his knowledge of the playbook. I’m sure he was given at least parts of the playbook months ago and was told to start studying before he enrolled. As long as he’s been studying, he should be fine in that department. But as far as his overall fitness is concerned, I doubt he’ll be able to shake off the rust before week 3. He needs to get into game shape and he needs reps to practice the playbook.

Isn't K Smith already on campus working out and practicing with the team in captain-led sessions? You got two starters in Carter and Hall. Between K and D Smith, I think we'll have enough of a rotation to keep Knowles off the field.

IMHO, you put Bolden out there before Knowles, even with only a week of practices under his belt. He was slated to be USC's starting strong safety last season. With Bolden, Mullen has a 50/50 chance of exploiting his rustiness/inexperience with Miami. With Knowles, Mullen has a 100% chance of exploiting his slowness and inability to process plays. Rip the band-aid off with Bolden, and take our chances.

I guarantee Banda puts in -20 before Keontra. We have to pray Hall, Carter and D Smith stay healthy... -20 for real makes me sick to my stomach. I’d move Finley back to safety before -20 gets snaps

Advertisement
your exactly right, in terms of being good in space, I think Bubba and Gurvan are your best options for FS, while Derrick, Carter, and Keontra are more of your SS / in the box S.

Was Berry practicing? Bolden literally hasn’t been doing anything besides his own workouts. You think Diaz is going to put a kid on the field in a prime time opener who hasn’t practiced? If he can somehow get here first day of August he could possibly have a chance cause that’s 3 weeks of practice but that’s pushing it.
Berry had practiced about 2 weeks before coming back. And my thing is not even him starting. He has probably had the playbook 6-8 months. If he can't come in and give you some reps at least in obvious pass situations on 3rd downs then i don't know what to say.

Hall was balling in the spring. The coaches was naming him as a player who has taken his game to another level. Hall can play either spot but he took off in the spring at SS.
Yeah he did mostly play SS, but I think that was due to depth. Considering how knowles is, and how D Smith and Carter have trouble in space, I think it is better for UM if Hall played FS.

Advertisement
I guarantee Banda puts in -20 before Keontra. We have to pray Hall, Carter and D Smith stay healthy... -20 for real makes me sick to my stomach. I’d move Finley back to safety before -20 gets snaps
Very well may be a good solution game 1 IF bolden isn’t ready. Rather that Finley be the next safety in like after hall and carter than knowles for sure.

Yeah he did mostly play SS, but I think that was due to depth. Considering how knowles is, and how D Smith and Carter have trouble in space, I think it is better for UM if Hall played FS.
Yea they moved him to SS when carter got hurt. But his style probably fits there more.

Keontra aint playing unless he is that good. They have a thing about making freshmen play special teams before getting reps on defense.

Advertisement
Back