bryan McClendon to South Carolina

The word is he didn't want to ship his family to Miami.

Real estate prices in Miami are going to be an issue for our assistants. Prices are up almost 100% in and around Coral Gables since Golden took over.

It's not real estate prices, it's the fact that Miami is a shthole, and people know it. And before you come back with the Chamber of Commerce propaganda, daily life in Miami doesn't exist on a sailboat.

People think they know it. That's certainly an issue, and far more relevant than posters here want to believe, or than countless other factors that have been propped.

I travel through the southeast all the time, often wearing Canes gear. The conversations seldom vary too much. At first they'll express disgust at the team I root for, and once I tell them I live in Miami they'll throw out all the negative stereotypes and say they can't believe anyone would choose to live there.

A young single assistant isn't going to care. But anyone with a family and kids is exponentially more likely to be subjected to those same apprehensions and fears. It won't be the decisive variable all the time but certainly within a significant percentage. Notice how often that topic arises, that the wife doesn't want to live in Miami.

It's a straight line from Athens to Columbia in more ways than one. I can't count how many times I've taken that I-20 route. You may leave the state but the cultural familiarity and comfort level doesn't change at all, and for the types who grew in that region that is often the trump card factor, not following a specific head coach. The team plays 12 or 13 times per year among 365 days. With a guy like Mark Richt it's not unlikely that he hired similarly faith based and family oriented types, ones who prioritize those other 352 days as much as the other 13.

The criticism of the Miami area reminds me of the ridicule of the University of Southern California campus and surrounding area. That theme has persisted for decades and outsiders will still bring it up and try to denounce any counter version. Meanwhile, it's an awesome campus and terrific area to go to school with so many options. I'd finish up a story for the Daily Trojan and then ride with my friends to catch a taping of The Tonight Show. Stuff like that. So many amazing experiences and memories. But for that petrified crew who fixate solely on "South Central Los Angeles," that experience doesn't exist at all, not when they can imagine ducking bullets and rogue Mexicans on the way to every classroom. Same with stereotypes of the Miami area, although Mexicans are obviously replaced by people from other cultures.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Real estate prices in Miami are going to be an issue for our assistants. Prices are up almost 100% in and around Coral Gables since Golden took over.

Richt can't be happy about this one. He played for Richt and has been coaching under him since 2007.

Kind of a slap in the face.

who says they have to live in the gables? they can live nearby and save a ton of money.

Its being reported that he wanted to stay in the SEC and his wife wasn't keen on moving to Miami. He didn't say no....his wife said no

We seem to have issues with wife's wanting to move here and raise kids here.
Miami is not for everyone and it's something that does come into play.

Agreed. I have a degree from UM and have zero interest in ever living there again, so imagine how someone who has no previous connection to UM feels.

This!

South Florida is a different place, and it's not for everyone. Especially when you have comparable options for earning an income.

I have friends who have told me, flat out, Miami is a hard city on a marriage. Lots of distractions, and not the most family oriented place.

I'm sure that's a broad generalization ... But when you can leave Athens, GA for Columbia, SC, it's not much of a difference in life-style, IMO.

I can see how some people never traveled outside the crappy parts of miami they lived in and are basing their judgment on that

You say miami isnt for everyone the same can be said for athens, columbia SC, etc

Advertisement
Miami isn't for pu$$ies. If McClendon's letting his wife decide where he lives, then he's a pu$$y. Fck him. Beta bytch. He'd rather go coach for a proven loser at a loser program just to live in some sleepy college town.

Meanwhile, college coaches are working 80 hour weeks anyway, so it doesn't much matter where they live as long as it's a comfortable place. He let his dopey wife drag him to a shythole dead-end job.

Waiting for the "BMac isn't really a good coach anyway" now that he isn't coming here, when before he was being cited as a key cog.

Guys like him are a dime a dozen. Nothing special about him.

It's not real estate prices, it's the fact that Miami is a shthole, and people know it. And before you come back with the Chamber of Commerce propaganda, daily life in Miami doesn't exist on a sailboat.

People think they know it. That's certainly an issue, and far more relevant than posters here want to believe, or than countless other factors that have been propped.

I travel through the southeast all the time, often wearing Canes gear. The conversations seldom vary too much. At first they'll express disgust at the team I root for, and once I tell them I live in Miami they'll throw out all the negative stereotypes and say they can't believe anyone would choose to live there.

A young single assistant isn't going to care. But anyone with a family and kids is exponentially more likely to be subjected to those same apprehensions and fears. It won't be the decisive variable all the time but certainly within a significant percentage. Notice how often that topic arises, that the wife doesn't want to live in Miami.

It's a straight line from Athens to Columbia in more ways than one. I can't count how many times I've taken that I-20 route. You may leave the state but the cultural familiarity and comfort level doesn't change at all, and for the types who grew in that region that is often the trump card factor, not following a specific head coach. The team plays 12 or 13 times per year among 365 days. With a guy like Mark Richt it's not unlikely that he hired similarly faith based and family oriented types, ones who prioritize those other 352 days as much as the other 13.

The criticism of the Miami area reminds me of the ridicule of the University of Southern California campus and surrounding area. That theme has persisted for decades and outsiders will still bring it up and try to denounce any counter version. Meanwhile, it's an awesome campus and terrific area to go to school with so many options. I'd finish up a story for the Daily Trojan and then ride with my friends to catch a taping of The Tonight Show. Stuff like that. So many amazing experiences and memories. But for that petrified crew who fixate solely on "South Central Los Angeles," that experience doesn't exist at all, not when they can imagine ducking bullets and rogue Mexicans on the way to every classroom. Same with stereotypes of the Miami area, although Mexicans are obviously replaced by people from other cultures.

Good post.

Miami isn't for pu$$ies. If McClendon's letting his wife decide where he lives, then he's a pu$$y. Fck him. Beta bytch. He'd rather go coach for a proven loser at a loser program just to live in some sleepy college town.

Meanwhile, college coaches are working 80 hour weeks anyway, so it doesn't much matter where they live as long as it's a comfortable place. He let his dopey wife drag him to a shythole dead-end job.

I thought that your porsts would improve after Golden was gone. I was 100 percent wrong.

Advertisement

I thought that your porsts would improve after Golden was gone. I was 100 percent wrong.

Nice to see I got another no-name facquit stalker cataloging my posts like some basement-dwelling weirdo. Good for you, fckboy.

Nice to see I got another no-name facquit stalker cataloging my posts like some basement-dwelling weirdo. Good for you, fckboy.

Lol you #1 in our hearts franchise.

I formerly hated living in Miami and we the moved to Atlanta for 4-years..... My wife and I visited every major town or city in the South between 2011 and 2015. The South sets a new low for quality of life. The vast majority of people are plain stupid. The entire Southern United States is provincial, backwards, unsanitary, borderline uninhabitable and an economic abyss. This part of the country will be 3rd world in 25 years. I received an offer from an LA firm recently and reported to work 5 days later.

My wife and I marvel at the difference between the South and the West. Miami is a tropical wonderland compared to that destitute region. Miami is on its 100th skyscraper as the South nears its millionth outhouse. There is NOTHING redeeming about the Confederacy except New Orleans.

"It's an okay school but you don't want to go there." How many times did I hear that growing up in Virginia?

I would rather be ANYWHERE in SFL than living in VA (with the possible exception of DC suburbs).

Last edited:
Advertisement
It is an issue, no doubt. I'm a UM grad and a fanatical canes nut, and travel to MIA about 3 times per year. But I there is no way I would move my wife and 3 young kids back to Miami unless it was some once-in-a-lifetime promotion, and many other people fee the same way.

Good post.

I agree Miami is not for everyone. However, this has nothing to do with real state, culture or the other points you stated. The problem is and this is something that people feel but they don't want to say it we are seen as unamericans down here. The rest of the country feels like this just think why doesn't the New York get the same reputation because they have the money and mainstream media.

I formerly hated living in Miami and we the moved to Atlanta for 4-years..... My wife and I visited every major town or city in the South between 2011 and 2015. The South sets a new low for quality of life. The vast majority of people are plain stupid. The entire Southern United States is provincial, backwards, unsanitary, borderline uninhabitable and an economic abyss. This part of the country will be 3rd world in 25 years. I received an offer from an LA firm recently and reported to work 5 days later.

My wife and I marvel at the difference between the South and the West. Miami is a tropical wonderland compared to that destitute region. Miami is on its 100th skyscraper as the South nears its millionth outhouse. There is NOTHING redeeming about the Confederacy except New Orleans.

All that may be true, but if that's where you grew up, then that's home. I went to Miami for undergrad, but lived in a suburb of Atlanta at the time. I never felt like I fit in, even though I liked going to school there, it always felt good flying home.

Advertisement
Its funny how people are making such a big deal about position coaches that most of us wasn't that familiar with prior to December. I mean who knows whats happening behind the scenes. Maybe Mcclendon and Lilly took too long and Richt went with somebody else. Maybe neither was really in consideration due to better options becoming available. Maybe Lilly wanted an actual OC position calling plays. Maybe neither wanted to live Miami. So many f'n maybe's...Chill

McClendon is from Chicago, and wife from Atlanta. Those places are probably worse, at least no worse, places to raise a family than Miami.

Its being reported that he wanted to stay in the SEC and his wife wasn't keen on moving to Miami. He didn't say no....his wife said no

McClendon is from Chicago, and wife from Atlanta. Those places are probably worse, at least no worse, places to raise a family than Miami.

McClendon was born in Chicago. He was raised in Atlanta, went to high school in Atlanta. His dad is from Brunswick, Georgia. And his dad met his mom at UGA. So, hes a "Georgia boy"!

And Atlanta, as a place to live ... Can be as big of a city as you want, or as small of a town as you want. Very unique place, IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back