Bruce Brown

When you are outside of the lottery, there's no point in leaving, especially when you have three years of eligibility remaining. That said, Lonnie also knows that he can always come back for his degree, and that it's probably better to be drawing a check in the G League and developing, instead of playing at Miami, and doing the same thing, sans check.

Bruce and Dewan on the other hand, are coming back, unless they have awful advisors.

Advertisement
If that's how it would actually go down, both should return. Pretty clear at this point that Walker IV will not be a lottery pick if he leaves.

How is it clear when all the mock drafts have IV anywhere from 13-16 and the lottery ends at 14.

When you are outside of the lottery, there's no point in leaving, especially when you have three years of eligibility remaining. That said, Lonnie also knows that he can always come back for his degree, and that it's probably better to be drawing a check in the G League and developing, instead of playing at Miami, and doing the same thing, sans check.

Bruce and Dewan on the other hand, are coming back, unless they have awful advisors.
If Bruce is borderline late first round, he's gone.

Huell, on the other hand, definitely needs to say.

What? There is plenty of reason to leave. You get a paycheck and much better player development. If you can go guaranteed in the first round you might as well leave.

Advertisement
What? There is plenty of reason to leave. You get a paycheck and much better player development. If you can go guaranteed in the first round you might as well leave.

Let me guess, you think the NBA Draft is like the NFL...A lot of our fans think that merely going in the first round of the NBA Draft is reason to leave, but there's one major difference: If you are at the tail end of the lottery, or outside of the lottery, your washout rates are significantly higher(and your salary is garbage compared to the upper end lottery guys). Yes, there are guys that are drafted later that do well, but for the most part, you are basically a spare part. Frankly, if you aren't a guaranteed high end lottery pick, there's little point in leaving, especially when you are a freshman. At the least, Lonnie should have considered not hiring an agent, now he's stuck with this decision. I guess he's hoping that someone falls in love with him at the Combine.

If Bruce is borderline late first round, he's gone.

Huell, on the other hand, definitely needs to say.

If he leaves because he's borderline first round, then he's a lot dumber than I thought. If you are leaving for that minuscule amount of money, and likely a spot in the G League, then you must really, really hate school.

Let me guess, you think the NBA Draft is like the NFL...A lot of our fans think that merely going in the first round of the NBA Draft is reason to leave, but there's one major difference: If you are at the tail end of the lottery, or outside of the lottery, your washout rates are significantly higher(and your salary is garbage compared to the upper end lottery guys). Yes, there are guys that are drafted later that do well, but for the most part, you are basically a spare part. Frankly, if you aren't a guaranteed high end lottery pick, there's little point in leaving, especially when you are a freshman. At the least, Lonnie should have considered not hiring an agent, now he's stuck with this decision. I guess he's hoping that someone falls in love with him at the Combine.
A young player is better off getting in to NBA development as soon as they possibly can especially if they can grab a few million guaranteed while doing so. Do you actually know anything about the NBA?

Advertisement
Yeah which just means going in the first round.

So your whole plan (below) is contingent on something you can't control.

A young player is better off getting in to NBA development as soon as they possibly can especially if they can grab a few million guaranteed while doing so. Do you actually know anything about the NBA?.

A fringe player (slated to go 27-40), with eligibility remaining, perhaps should stay.

Leaving with eligibility remaining to be a 2nd round pick, maybe get a cup of coffee in the NBA, and end up playing in the NBDL or a foreign country for less than 6 figures seems like a bad life decision. But we tend to lose all of these toss-ups, so I'm assuming Brown Jr. will leave.

Advertisement
If he leaves because he's borderline first round, then he's a lot dumber than I thought. If you are leaving for that minuscule amount of money, and likely a spot in the G League, then you must really, really hate school.
He's already 22 years old which is ancient for the NBA. How much is he really going to improve his stock with another year in college? If he can sneak late into the first round and get a low end 7 figure salary, that is a lot better than no money at all for another year.

He's already 22 years old which is ancient for the NBA. How much is he really going to improve his stock with another year in college? If he can sneak late into the first round and get a low end 7 figure salary, that is a lot better than no money at all for another year.

Most mocks have him 2nd round. Is it worth rolling the dice on exceeding projections? Big difference between a guaranteed 7 figure pay day and heading to Czech Republic for 80K.

Gotta love all the over hyped projections for all these Canes kids... not a consistent shooter in the bunch.. Lonnie is a good athlete, but he has zero BB instincts.. but hey go for the bucks that someone seems willing to pay...hope all 3 get gone and coach L gives up the ghost on the one and dones, as the NCAA tournament shows you that you need a bunch kids that develop and stay for 3 to 4 years...

Advertisement
Gotta love all the over hyped projections for all these Canes kids... not a consistent shooter in the bunch.. Lonnie is a good athlete, but he has zero BB instincts.. but hey go for the bucks that someone seems willing to pay...hope all 3 get gone and coach L gives up the ghost on the one and dones, as the NCAA tournament shows you that you need a bunch kids that develop and stay for 3 to 4 years...

+1. If Huell wants to leave to play in Croatia, god bless.

We have the oldest Sophomores in the league. Huell and Brown are older as Sophs then I was when I graduated.

1. Bruce Brown is 21 today and will be 21 at the time of the draft. As per the UM website (see below).

2. Do you have any data showing a 22 YO (over a 21 YO) will be drafted significantly lower? I don't see why ONE year matters unless you have actual data.

3. I think it is obvious but I am not expert. I am not a GM or a scout. In addition, I don't know who these people are that rank these players in those mocks. I don't know of their accuracy (outside of the first 10 picks). Obviously any idiot can take a stab in the dark and come up with a list of the players who will likely get drafted (early).

With that said, I don't see why Bruce Brown is a first round pick given that...

A. He didn't improve, he regressed.

B. He was injured for a good portion of the season (against the best competition).

C. He might not be 100% during those camps/tryouts/showcases etc.

D. Who knows what other guards are coming out (after everything is done)?

4. The big problem with your post is the last sentence. For BB to leave, there is no guarantee that he can sneak into the first round. In fact, based on the season, it is kind of risky. In reality, if the kid came back and averaged 15.0 PPG, 8.0 RPG and 4.0 APG. If he could finish at the rim and shoot 37%-38% from 3PT, that would really be special and decrease the risk greatly. In addition, I think those numbers are well within reach.

https://hurricanesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4367

Brown gone. So so dumb if he's truly a projected 2nd rounder. This ain't the NFL.

Advertisement
Back