Bruce Brown

Advertisement
Wonderful.

We have 3 eligible guards, 4 if you count Amp. We run a 3 guard offense.

We need two guys, at least, that are ready to play immediately. One of those two need to be able to play some PG.

Brown Jr. is leaving early to be a 2nd round pick and be playing in eastern Europe or Israel next year. Maybe Huell will be joining him.

Advertisement
Wonderful.

We have 3 eligible guards, 4 if you count Amp. We run a 3 guard offense.

We need two guys, at least, that are ready to play immediately. One of those two need to be able to play some PG.
Truly a pathetic and inexcusable situation to be in.

Because his players are making dumb decisions?

I definitely don't think he should retire but these statements backing up Brown's decision don't exactly sit right either....

Larrañaga said he “spoke extensively” with Brown after his freshman season and recently about his NBA plans.

“Bruce is physically and mentally mature, is 21 years old and feels this is a decision that can change his life and this is the right time,” Larrañaga said. “His goal has always been to be an NBA player, so it’s very natural for him to take this next step. I thought we were lucky last year that he didn’t put his name in after the year he had, scoring 30 against Carolina, 25 against Duke. So many NBA scouts have come to our practices and told me they feel he’s a first-round pick this year.”

The injury also may have motivated him.

“It’s only natural after recovering from an injury like he did to think, ‘Boy, if I get hurt again, it could drop my stock,’” Larrañaga said.

Players have until April 22 to enter the draft and until June 11 to withdraw. The draft is June 21.

Advertisement
I definitely don't think he should retire but these statements backing up Brown's decision don't exactly sit right either....

Larrañaga said he “spoke extensively” with Brown after his freshman season and recently about his NBA plans.

“Bruce is physically and mentally mature, is 21 years old and feels this is a decision that can change his life and this is the right time,” Larrañaga said. “His goal has always been to be an NBA player, so it’s very natural for him to take this next step. I thought we were lucky last year that he didn’t put his name in after the year he had, scoring 30 against Carolina, 25 against Duke. So many NBA scouts have come to our practices and told me they feel he’s a first-round pick this year.”

The injury also may have motivated him.

“It’s only natural after recovering from an injury like he did to think, ‘Boy, if I get hurt again, it could drop my stock,’” Larrañaga said.

Players have until April 22 to enter the draft and until June 11 to withdraw. The draft is June 21.

What is he supposed to say? Brown Jr. is a dumbass to leave now to be a 2nd round pick and end up playing for $80k plus per diem in Prague?

What is he supposed to say? Brown Jr. is a dumbass to leave now to be a 2nd round pick and end up playing for $80k plus per diem in Prague?

No but maybe don't go on record basically saying that you think he's a first round pick? Coach L is gonna look only slightly less stupid than Brown when he goes at like the 50th pick.

Maybe retain some credibility on the matter when you have to try to talk another kid out of leaving too early?

No but maybe don't go on record basically saying that you think he's a first round pick? Coach L is gonna look only slightly less stupid than Brown when he goes at like the 50th pick.

Maybe retain some credibility on the matter when you have to try to talk another kid out of leaving too early?

You're making the assumption that he tried to talk him out of leaving or he'll do that with any kid. When he signed Brown he knew their was a real shot he'd only have him for one year. I believe he even says that. Coaches recruit these kid for a quite a bit and he knew Brown wasn't likely to be a 3-4 year player. I imagine Coach L wants to be in that green room on draft night hugging two first round picks on national TV. Doesn't hurt recruiting. "Come to Miami and be a first round pick. I won't try to hold you back when you think you should leave". The Calipari approach.

Advertisement

L was pushing Sheldon Mac as a 1st rounder too. Nothing wrong with promoting your players. Brown Jr. is a prototype 2nd rounder though.

Some real football board babies on the basketball forum.

Coach L needs to be gone - Yes off of our 3rd straight NCAA we should fire him.
Bruce is stupid - it can be argued his stock dropped from last year. He got injured and doesn't want to take a chance on dropping further with another bad year.
Coach L looks stupid for saying Bruce is a first rounder - WTF? I am sure other recruits would want to play for a coach who says his players are idiots and blow donkey balls.

Man up. We knew before the season started they were both leaving. There was a sliver of hope one might come back but it didn't work out. With the right transfers this is still an NCAA team next year. Although not a lock NCAA team we have some players that really improved this year and .500 in ACC should get us in. If Huell leaves then we have problems.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back