Brinson is the #1 We Need

Brinson may indeed turn out to be a stud number one receiver, but right now we can’t take the chance.

That’s all I’m saying.

Smith may end up being the guy as well. He’s more likely, because at least he’s flashed last year. Actually quite a bit.

But you have to go find somebody, you’re not going to risk the one year we have left with TVD .

Throw them all in the bucket and let God sort them out.

Advertisement
At some point we are going to have to develop guys, can’t just rely on the transfer portal for everything I would like a little more continuity especially at this position instead of a 1 year guy and then they gone the next year. With that being said each of the young 3 freshman showed flashes and highlight plays at various points in 2021 so I’m excited to see how they develop

At some point we are going to have to develop guys, can’t just rely on the transfer portal for everything I would like a little more continuity especially at this position instead of a 1 year guy and then they gone the next year. With that being said each of the young 3 freshman showed flashes and highlight plays at various points in 2021 so I’m excited to see how they develop
I know you hate the portal, but college football has evolved and although someone like Mario got a 117 year contract, he needs to win now, keep momentum, and keep excitement around the program to ensure young term success. To do that he must fill holes immediately while evaluating what he has as a new regime and continue to bring in and develop players that are acquired through high and portal recruiting.

I know you hate the portal, but college football has evolved and although someone like Mario got a 117 year contract, he needs to win now, keep momentum, and keep excitement around the program to ensure young term success. To do that he must fill holes immediately while evaluating what he has as a new regime and continue to bring in and develop players that are acquired through high and portal recruiting.
I don’t hate the portal, I like The quality gets. Just don’t like pursuing or seeing we jump on everyone entering the portal. Got to be selective and imo we got young talent at receiver that I think Can be developed

Advertisement
I don’t think you’ll find a single human on the planet nor betting odd that would have him worse than 2nd, behind CJ Stroud, at worst.

Again, a lot can change, and will. Always does. But Young is #1 on 99% of boards and if he’s not, he’s #2.
He is small though. You're not going to have the luxury of Alabama blocking in the NFL. He could get "rag dolled" and plagued with injuries. He is very talented. It will be interesting to see how he pans out.

Man..y’all acting he was Amari or jeudy coming out. Answer is he’s a 19 yr old 2nd year player. Let him develop. What we NEED is a guy like ladson to come in and step up. That said George is the best/ most natural WR..I’m telling y’all the way that boy moves and plucks the ball..he’s got a chance to be top dawg in that room. Just gotta come through

Tyler is not better than bryce young at this level. Idk what games y’all watching but bamas WRs we’re nothing special last year. Their oline wasn’t all that stout. He elevated that O and tbh was the only QB In the Saban I’ve seen ELEVATE the guys surrounding him. With the pieces they added he gunna go off this szn imo…Tyler has a ways to go but has all the tools
Tyler Van Dyke will be the first QB taken in the 2023 draft.

He is small though. You're not going to have the luxury of Alabama blocking in the NFL. He could get "rag dolled" and plagued with injuries. He is very talented. It will be interesting to see how he pans out.
Bamas oline was not that good last szn tho..we pressured taht kid constantly in ATL. He made some plays evading traffic that was special. If you saw it person you’d appreciate that more. Kids the real deal. Will it translate to the league..idk

Advertisement
Tyler is not better than bryce young at this level. Idk what games y’all watching but bamas WRs we’re nothing special last year. Their oline wasn’t all that stout. He elevated that O and tbh was the only QB In the Saban I’ve seen ELEVATE the guys surrounding him. With the pieces they added he gunna go off this szn imo…Tyler has a ways to go but has all the tools
Like I said, Tyler Van Dyke will be the first QB taken in next years draft.

...did you just say Jameson Williams and John Metchie were** nothing special?

I stopped reading after that.

Advertisement
...did you just say Jameson Williams and John Metchie were** nothing special?

I stopped reading after that.

Their left tackle is about to go #1 overall, he allowed 1 sack all year, and Jameson Williams bout to go round 1 with half a leg. John Metchie was the #2 and the best receiver we’d have had in 5 years. This site is pure comedy.

Young is elite. Period. E-leet. Will he be an all-pro? Who the **** knows? Not even the NFL does. It’s a crapshoot, as always. But dude is going REAL high in Round 1.

It’s not the 80’s & 90’s no more...

WR is very important in today’s game.

Unless you have a roster like UGA’s with 50 5-stars, nobody is winning in today’s era of Football without premium WR’s.

Plus this is Miami, us not having quality WR’s is sacrilegious, we’re not a Northern weather B1G team & we should never be resigned to just being an ultra conservative pound the rock style team that can’t throw the ball.
The same sacrilege has been happening at DB.

Also, dudes forgot that AB and Cooper Kupp didn’t attend p5 schools.

Advertisement
I don’t hate the portal, I like The quality gets. Just don’t like pursuing or seeing we jump on everyone entering the portal. Got to be selective and imo we got young talent at receiver that I think Can be developed

Again, they may be developed, but they may not. Or maybe they were bad evaluations, who knows?

We cannot afford to waste the one year that Van Dyke has left.

Go get a quality receiver with a proven college track record.

This is a new staff - players will be developed I’m pretty sure, but why risk the possibility that they may not come through when they don’t have an assured college record of production?

Of course we have to develop our receivers, this is South Florida, it’s ridiculous that we don’t have studs at every receiving position. Yes we have X, and I think he’s a sure thing in the slot, but other than the TE’s who else on our receiving corps is a sure thing right now?

I don’t know what’s so hard to understand about that. Just because we go out and get a quality receiver does not mean we’re not going to develop the ones we have.

This is just risk management.

I agree. It's like the NFL - build through the draft (recruiting) as your foundation, and use free agency (the portal) to plug holes or add 1-2 pieces you think can take you over the top.

Doing it in reverse is bad business

That’s not true, Isaiah Neyor, Jacob Cowing, Karen Lacy, Trey Palmer, Kobe Hudson & Antoine Wells were all #1’s.

The guys who they’re looking at now are what’s remaining after they missed on the initial first wave of WR’s that hit the Portal, they bet on Ladson & saw the same thing that Clemson realized about him.

Harrell is a Speed demon, arguably one of the top 5 fastest players in the nation, which is why Bama is paying him top dollar to come to Tuscaloosa. We’re looking at Jerrod Means because he fits exactly what they’re looking for, which is a speed threat that can consistently catch the ball & add the Deep ball element to the offense, which they don’t feel they have right now.

You guys are way too sunk into HS ratings & think that just because a player is at a G5 that means he’s incapable of being good, there’s literally G5 WR’s in the NFL who are highly productive & great players, that HS rankings sh*t don’t mean anything once they get on campus lol

Look, I’m high on Brinson too, remember this is LCE homie, there isn’t a person on this board who would be waving the Pom Poms more for a MNW Bull than me lol, so I’m not saying Brinson sucks or he can’t or won’t be good, but what some of yall are missing is that the staff is not scouring the Portal for backups, they’re looking for starters. Bub Means was productive & has good legit speed, he’s done it in game before, our guys have not, it’s that simple. Will they? Sure eventually, but the staff is clearly putting forth a concerted effort to fill spots in positions of need, which if WR wasn’t one of those positions they wouldn’t be looking for a 2nd Portal add just 3 months after already bringing one in.

Brinson has great promise & upside, same with J George, Key Smith & Brashard, but that doesn’t always translate to on field success early on, there will be growing pains with his offense because the WR’s have to work much harder to get open in this system than in last year’s, which is precisely why they’re trying to find another piece now.
Excellent post. As someone who is fascinated by the X's and O's and the differences in schemes and philosophies, what exactly is it about the Gattis offense that makes WRs have to work harder to get open? Thanks in advance.

Mario just got here. He absolutely hates losing.
We live in a now generation and Mario isn’t doing all of this so we can gradually build a roster for 3 years down the road. He wants to win as many games as possible as soon as possible.
You are correct that we need to develop players but he’s been around long enough to know what a player with potential looks like.
Maybe some of our guys need some time and maybe not. But he isn't going to wait for our team to be developed and risk losing players he’s heavily recruiting.
If we don’t make enough changes now and keep shting the bed during the season then the harder it’s going to be to entice elite players to come.

Advertisement
Back