Brinson is the #1 We Need

That’s not true, Isaiah Neyor, Jacob Cowing, Karen Lacy, Trey Palmer, Kobe Hudson & Antoine Wells were all #1’s.

The guys who they’re looking at now are what’s remaining after they missed on the initial first wave of WR’s that hit the Portal, they bet on Ladson & saw the same thing that Clemson realized about him.

Harrell is a Speed demon, arguably one of the top 5 fastest players in the nation, which is why Bama is paying him top dollar to come to Tuscaloosa. We’re looking at Jerrod Means because he fits exactly what they’re looking for, which is a speed threat that can consistently catch the ball & add the Deep ball element to the offense, which they don’t feel they have right now.

You guys are way too sunk into HS ratings & think that just because a player is at a G5 that means he’s incapable of being good, there’s literally G5 WR’s in the NFL who are highly productive & great players, that HS rankings sh*t don’t mean anything once they get on campus lol

Look, I’m high on Brinson too, remember this is LCE homie, there isn’t a person on this board who would be waving the Pom Poms more for a MNW Bull than me lol, so I’m not saying Brinson sucks or he can’t or won’t be good, but what some of yall are missing is that the staff is not scouring the Portal for backups, they’re looking for starters. Bub Means was productive & has good legit speed, he’s done it in game before, our guys have not, it’s that simple. Will they? Sure eventually, but the staff is clearly putting forth a concerted effort to fill spots in positions of need, which if WR wasn’t one of those positions they wouldn’t be looking for a 2nd Portal add just 3 months after already bringing one in.

Brinson has great promise & upside, same with J George, Key Smith & Brashard, but that doesn’t always translate to on field success early on, there will be growing pains with his offense because the WR’s have to work much harder to get open in this system than in last year’s, which is precisely why they’re trying to find another piece now.
No doubt fam, and shout out to them Bulls bruh!

We're definitely same page when it comes to appreciation for Mello.

And I think I failed to add it here, think I did on another post, but, I meant solid P5 #1's. Its but a handful of guys that make the jump to P5 as skill guys that really pop. I think whoever we bring in will have a KJ Osborn effect, fill a deficiency with a consistent contributor. But as far as being #1 for a top 25 P5 like Miami, I'm betting on Brinson more than cats from Wyoming, Buffalo or UTEP.

Advertisement
A #1 WR option will emerge by the time we’re playing live games. Let’s not forget last year people weren’t sure Oklahoma’s after thought transfer would be good for us and then Rambo looked amazing.

But even Rambo looking amazing took time, it was game 3 when he started shining. And ****, I hope a WR breaks out for 150 yards game 3 this coming year as well.

WR is the last position group any team needs to upgrade. Bill Walsh used to say this and it remains true today. While it is nice to have a true No 1, it is also a luxury.

The dudes we have are blue chip recruits. One of them will catch the ball for us.

Much more important to upgrade the defensive front 7, which is exactly what you see Mario doing. WR will be fine.
With you 100%. If it happens, fantastic. If it doesn't I'd bet money George, Smith, Restrepo, Brinson, the TEs and Knighton will be plenty dynamic enough.

Advertisement
WR is the last position group any team needs to upgrade. Bill Walsh used to say this and it remains true today. While it is nice to have a true No 1, it is also a luxury.

The dudes we have are blue chip recruits. One of them will catch the ball for us.

Much more important to upgrade the defensive front 7, which is exactly what you see Mario doing. WR will be fine.

If you didn’t get at least a little shook from the spring game wide receiver performance, I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m not one of those people that overreact when I see short clips from practices, or even a vanilla spring game, but I saw reasons for at least some concern in the spring game regarding the wide receivers.

It’s not the 80’s & 90’s no more...

WR is very important in today’s game.

Unless you have a roster like UGA’s with 50 5-stars, nobody is winning in today’s era of Football without premium WR’s.

Plus this is Miami, us not having quality WR’s is sacrilegious, we’re not a Northern weather B1G team & we should never be resigned to just being an ultra conservative pound the rock style team that can’t throw the ball.

If you didn’t get at least a little shook from the spring game wide receiver performance, I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m not one of those people that overreact when I see short clips from practices, or even a vanilla spring game, but I saw reasons for at least some concern in the spring game regarding the wide receivers.
I do not deny they didn't look good in the spring game. And sure, there is always some concern when Miami doesn't have enough speed at ANY skill position.

But I never put much stock into spring games. Between the vanilla offense and the guys held out, the offense will naturally look much better when healthier.

It is possible that the dropped passes can be attributed to simple negative variance - the WR group had a bad day, and there won't be as many drops next time around. The lack of top-end speed and the inability to separate are the bigger concerns.

Gattis did a good job creating space for the TEs. I think the same type of space will be created for Knighton, and he could end up being a top ~3 guy in terms of receptions and receiving yards. Play the hand you are dealt.

X looks like a solid No. 2 receiver, a dependable slot-possession type that can move the chains. The TE room gives us another solid receiving threat. We need one of the WRs to be an outside threat. This isn't going to be an air raid or spread/RPO offense - none of these WRs are going to be putting up video game numbers this season. Lashlee was fun while he lasted.

But to my original point, every year there is seemingly a new WR that takes that step forward. No one even wanted Harley to come back last year, and he ended up playing great. A few years ago, Berrios did next to nothing until his last season. Hankerson did the same a few years prior. Idk, but I think someone will step up.

It’s not the 80’s & 90’s no more...

WR is very important in today’s game.

Unless you have a roster like UGA’s with 50 5-stars, nobody is winning in today’s era of Football without premium WR’s.

Plus this is Miami, us not having quality WR’s is sacrilegious, we’re not a Northern weather B1G team & we should never be resigned to just being an ultra conservative pound the rock style team that can’t throw the ball.
Cincinnati just went to the playoffs with Alec Pierce and no one else. Michigan went with Cornelius Johnson.

In the ACC, Miami's WR room is still better than most of the league, ever where it is right now. Brennan Armstrong threw for a zillion yards last year with the QB #99 as basically his best WR. It is a position where you can plug and play.

I think next to no one wants to see the offense go back to ground-and-pound, but you have to play the hand you are dealt. I love Jacob Crowing, but I would be shocked if a guy like that was able to come here and blossom into a true No. 1 guy. This season is going to be ball control and lean on the RB stable.

If we can get another guy in the portal, great. But, for the most part, there isn't a WR in America that would move the point spread even a point, if that tells you anything (not just in Miami... anywhere; no WR is worth more than maybe .5 to the spread). The collective is more important than the individual at that position, and probably >115 (of 130) teams would gladly trade their WR room for ours today if they could.

Advertisement
Cincinnati just went to the playoffs with Alec Pierce and no one else. Michigan went with Cornelius Johnson.

In the ACC, Miami's WR room is still better than most of the league, ever where it is right now. Brennan Armstrong threw for a zillion yards last year with the QB #99 as basically his best WR. It is a position where you can plug and play.

I think next to no one wants to see the offense go back to ground-and-pound, but you have to play the hand you are dealt. I love Jacob Crowing, but I would be shocked if a guy like that was able to come here and blossom into a true No. 1 guy. This season is going to be ball control and lean on the RB stable.

If we can get another guy in the portal, great. But, for the most part, there isn't a WR in America that would move the point spread even a point, if that tells you anything (not just in Miami... anywhere; no WR is worth more than maybe .5 to the spread). The collective is more important than the individual at that position, and probably >115 (of 130) teams would gladly trade their WR room for ours today if they could.
Those were outliers with elite top tier Defenses, it took those teams YEARS to be good enough to play the style of slow paced ball control offense & still manage to win games due to their Defense. You’ll see in this year’s draft both Michigan & Cincinnati have a bevy of players being selected in the first 3 rounds, does Miami have that kind of Defense?
(rhetorical question)

Miami’s WR room is not better than most of the rest of the ACC, UNC, Pitt, Wake Forest & NC ST all have way more production returning than us & even VA Tech has added production this offseason via the Portal. You either buying way way high on the potential of the current group or just not seeing it objectively, but Miami’s WR’s are quite possibly the most unproven unit in the ACC if we’re really being honest. Sure the talent on paper is there, but it remains to be seen how they’ll actually play when it matters.

And if you really want to run this slowed down B1G type offense be careful what you wish for my friend...

Pitt & Wake Forest both won 11 games last year with high quality QB play & throwing the ball, the gunned the conference down & neither team had elite caliber Defense or high ranked players on paper, they won with scheme & pace. If Miami wants to be more than an 8-4 team, handing the ball off all game & playing football in phonebooth is not gonna work, not in year 1, maybe down the line it will but with this current roster playing Wisconsin/Boston College style ball will have us in a dogfights all year long & make for an ugly season overall.

Again, the staff is looking for a WR & they have good reason to.

Those were outliers with elite top tier Defenses, it took those teams YEARS to be good enough to play the style of slow paced ball control offense & still manage to win games due to their Defense. You’ll see in this year’s draft both Michigan & Cincinnati have a bevy of players being selected in the first 3 rounds, does Miami have that kind of Defense?
(rhetorical question)

Miami’s WR room is not better than most of the rest of the ACC, UNC, Pitt, Wake Forest & NC ST all have way more production returning than us & even VA Tech has added production this offseason via the Portal. You either buying way way high on the potential of the current group or just not seeing it objectively, but Miami’s WR’s are quite possibly the most unproven unit in the ACC if we’re really being honest. Sure the talent on paper is there, but it remains to be seen how they’ll actually play when it matters.

And if you really want to run this slowed down B1G type offense be careful what you wish for my friend...

Pitt & Wake Forest both won 11 games last year with high quality QB play & throwing the ball, the gunned the conference down & neither team had elite caliber Defense or high ranked players on paper, they won with scheme & pace. If Miami wants to be more than an 8-4 team, handing the ball off all game & playing football in phonebooth is not gonna work, not in year 1, maybe down the line it will but with this current roster playing Wisconsin/Boston College style ball will have us in a dogfights all year long & make for an ugly season overall.

Again, the staff is looking for a WR & they have good reason to.
Let's not move the goalposts here - your quote was "nobody is winning in today's era of football without premium WRs" and I just gave you 2 playoff teams from last year with dog**** for WRs. There are plenty more examples I could have used. Most teams would gladly trade WR rooms with Miami.

And yes, Mich & Cinci had better defenses than us. But you can't say "well, they didn't need better WRs because they had a good defense." Every position & position group counts. We are better at QB than both of them (Mich by a mile), and that is the only position that truly matters more than the rest. If we had a better front 7, then presumably we wouldn't need WRs either, right? That is a circular argument.

When you say Miami has the most unproven WR room in the ACC, but then cite Wake, for example, as being better than us, you discount that Jacurri Roberson entered the draft just like Rambo and Harley did. Same with Emezi at NC State. Of course the production on paper isn't going to be there in college football. You are cycling players through yearly. The next guy is always going to have to step up.

But, I digress. I am all for grabbing a portal WR. I just don't think it'll matter if the defensive front 7 looks anything remotely resembling what we saw in the spring game. Or even if we have an injury or two on the OL, for that matter.

Same staff that recruited Pope and Wiggins recruited these cats. And look, they have the same problem….drops and playing soft.

Take the transfers. I don’t care how tall you are or how fast you run or where you went to high school…if a WR can’t consistently catch the ball in traffic, he’s a bum.

Take the transfers.

Advertisement
as others said, this COULD be true but ya never know when it comes to stiff competition

I mean Jeremiah payton who most on this board thought was sure to take over the entire WR room (myself included) now plays at Alabama A&M.. just never know when these kids get up against other D1 athletes and are pushed

Same staff that recruited Pope and Wiggins recruited these cats. And look, they have the same problem….drops and playing soft.

Take the transfers. I don’t care how tall you are or how fast you run or where you went to high school…if a WR can’t consistently catch the ball in traffic, he’s a bum.

Take the transfers.
Pope and Wiggins were recruited under Richt/Brown/Dugans.

Current guys were Diaz/Enos/Likens.

Regardless, it is a lazy take. Miami coaches don’t have some penchant for identifying WR recruits with bad hands. Some of these guys had offers from everyone in the nation.

If they aren’t getting it done, coach them up. The OL is the same guys as last year, and they look noticeably better.

Coach up our WRs.

Advertisement

Regardless, it is a lazy take. Miami coaches don’t have some penchant for identifying WR recruits with bad hands. Some of these guys had offers from everyone in the nation.

If they aren’t getting it done, coach them up. The OL is the same guys as last year, and they look noticeably better.

Coach up our WRs.
We had no player development before. I’m looking forward to this staffs development cause it will be light years better

Coach up our WRs.

They had their chance.

You'd think one of Redding, Brinson, Keyshawn, Ladson could be a true #1 but we just can't risk it with what they've shown so far. Need a legit proven guy.
Exactly one or more of them may take that next step and become a WR1 guy but right now that is all hope and potential. You bring in a guy who has produced at the college level and if one of the existing guys beats him out than fine but you do not go into a season with a QB like TVD hoping that someone in your current WR group takes that next step.

Advertisement
Back