brad kaaya scouting report from wfb

why did he come out??? he really must have had some conflict with richt.

on a side note is it possible for him to improve his athleticism? i just wonder how a 21 year old kid who has played sports his entire life can move so poorly. there has got to be a way for him to improve his movement.

I've heard from interns in the football offices that he doesn't like Rick, but I always assumed that was false gossip. Reading this makes me think maybe Kaaya really didn't want to stick around any longer in part because of that.

I personally think he was getting too much sunshine blown up his ****** from his outside "mentors/gurus" on the West Coast but the Rick dynamic would be an interesting one to hear about if the facts ever do come out (if there are any to come out). Unless Golden and Coley were flat out worshiping the kid I can't see how there'd be that much of a personality conflict with Rick. I also can't see how Rick would even remotely suggest that him leaving this year would be wise either. There's something not adding up here beyond it being a weak QB class- and even that may end up being problematic as it seems like everyone declared that could've thus throwing our guy in a big pack of available QBs with possible question marks.

matt porter in an interview mentioned that richt and kaaya didnt exactly see eye to eye and preferred his relationship w coley

Makes perfect sense that one would value James Coley's expertise over Rick's. I'm still rooting for the kid but he better hope he ends up in the perfect NFL situation where the staff makes him feel comfortable at all times and has no immediate expectations of him.

Advertisement
Brad Kaaya Scouting Report
Strengths:
Quality arm strength
Flashes ability to make some perfect throws
Can make all the throws required
Throws a catchable ball
Can throw passes with touch
Can throw the deep ball
Works through progressions in a clean pocket
Good field vision in a clean pocket
Has some experience working under center
Tough; takes big hits

Weaknesses:
Terrible vision; looks down at the pass rush
Crippling lack of mobility in the pocket
Very poor at avoiding sacks
Lacks pocket presence
Lacks awareness

Player Comparison: Ryan Tannehill

Fixed. I swear that could be the exact scouting report for Tannehill too.

u do know tannehill is actually pretty athletic

I wasn't comparing their athleticism, only the extreme similarities to the listed strengths and weaknesses. They both lack pocket presence, lack awareness, and have a propensity to walk into sacks when pressured (I can't even count the number of times I've watched both basically sack themselves). They also both are talented passers that can make all the throws when given a clean pocket and time to throw. Tannehill progressed a little this year under Gase, but I can't help but view Kaaya as having a similar ceiling as Tannehill.

i think Tannys is actually higher bc hes a good passer (shockingly) on the move and can at least run. Kaaya being a statue makes him unplayable unless he shortens his release time from the pocket

4733019.jpg

Advertisement
His departure doesn't make much sense, under any set of circumstances.

That said, it's got to be one of three things, or a combination of them:

1.) Kaaya was tired of being hit. We had a porous OL, and he was sick of losing molars. The weakest reason to leave, but in being "bred for this," la familia may have coddled him too much.

2.) He doesn't get along with Richt and/or Richt's offensive philosophy. I don't doubt he may have been frustrated by some of Richt's calls, but being that Richt is an approachable "player's coach" with an impressive track record with QBs, I have a hard time envisioning true tension between the two. But who knows? Seriously. Who knows? Because I want to.

3.) Piggybacking on the whole "bred for this" thing...His west coast mentors and family were blowing too much sunshine up his skirt. Telling him he's better than he is. That he's more ready than he is.

I'm supremely disappointed he's not coming back. I think we could have been special next year with him -- might still be! But he had the opportunity to really cement Miami as "back" next year all while improving his draft stock and bottom dollar. I don't at all understand how you leave Miami given those circumstances, and having never beaten FSU. It's one or all of the above.

It makes perfect sense to leave early in a weak qb class that could get him drafted highly. next years class is stronger. so unless he can improve his draft stock why stay? and his biggest problem has always been his pocket mobility. if in his senior year he could go out there and drastically improve on that, then yeah he should stay. but with us not having the best ol i dont think he would look much better even after a full offseason of training.
so with an additional yr he likely wont get drafted higher or actually learn much new. might as well get payed to play, and get coached by the best, and have a 1 yr jump on future contact

A fine set of counterpoints.

I'm just of the opinion that Kaaya could have improved his pocket presence with another year under Richt. You think he's reached his ceiling, or at least plateaued.

Kaaya will never be "mobile," but I think he could have learned how to better climb the pocket, slide, and keep his eyes down field. I also think the OL improves with the addition of Donaldson and Sonny, and a year of experience on the field and under Searles. Improvement from Kaaya and the OL would have given us all of the ingredients to have a 10+ win season. And everybody gets more hype and attention on a 10 win team, a QB's weaknesses be damned.

Again, a fine set of counterpoints, but I disagree. I would have advised him to say, regardless of my orange and green shades. And I think most kids in his situation would have stuck around, too.

This notion that mastering Richt's offense makes you an NFL QB is bogus.
Innate talent makes you an NFL QB, not mastering some College playbook, ask Brady & Prescott.

just about every kid we believe is on the fence as to whether to go or not, ends up going, regardless of the very compelling reasons we as fan believe should cause him to stay. this is another one.

i agree with his lack of leadership skills, i rarely saw him act as a leader on the offense. he was usually too self-absorbed.

Yet ppl on this site really believe they were right in blaming Richt for this clowns performance?? Brad Kaaya leaving early was the best thing that could happen to this program for next season. We weren't going to win shx with him at qb.

Advertisement
If Brad Kaaya was the qb for Clemson they'd be a 4 or 5 loss team this year. With Deshaun Watson Miami would've won the ACC.

If Brad Kaaya was the qb for Clemson they'd be a 4 or 5 loss team this year. With Deshaun Watson Miami would've won the ACC.

No they wouldn't have been a 4-5 loss team. The only difference between Brad and Deshaun is that Deshaun is 4x the athlete Brad is. Other than that and Deshaun having a slightly better arm, they have the same problems

His departure doesn't make much sense, under any set of circumstances.

That said, it's got to be one of three things, or a combination of them:

1.) Kaaya was tired of being hit. We had a porous OL, and he was sick of losing molars. The weakest reason to leave, but in being "bred for this," la familia may have coddled him too much.

2.) He doesn't get along with Richt and/or Richt's offensive philosophy. I don't doubt he may have been frustrated by some of Richt's calls, but being that Richt is an approachable "player's coach" with an impressive track record with QBs, I have a hard time envisioning true tension between the two. But who knows? Seriously. Who knows? Because I want to.

3.) Piggybacking on the whole "bred for this" thing...His west coast mentors and family were blowing too much sunshine up his skirt. Telling him he's better than he is. That he's more ready than he is.

I'm supremely disappointed he's not coming back. I think we could have been special next year with him -- might still be! But he had the opportunity to really cement Miami as "back" next year all while improving his draft stock and bottom dollar. I don't at all understand how you leave Miami given those circumstances, and having never beaten FSU. It's one or all of the above.

It makes perfect sense to leave early in a weak qb class that could get him drafted highly. next years class is stronger. so unless he can improve his draft stock why stay? and his biggest problem has always been his pocket mobility. if in his senior year he could go out there and drastically improve on that, then yeah he should stay. but with us not having the best ol i dont think he would look much better even after a full offseason of training.
so with an additional yr he likely wont get drafted higher or actually learn much new. might as well get payed to play, and get coached by the best, and have a 1 yr jump on future contact

A fine set of counterpoints.

I'm just of the opinion that Kaaya could have improved his pocket presence with another year under Richt. You think he's reached his ceiling, or at least plateaued.

Kaaya will never be "mobile," but I think he could have learned how to better climb the pocket, slide, and keep his eyes down field. I also think the OL improves with the addition of Donaldson and Sonny, and a year of experience on the field and under Searles. Improvement from Kaaya and the OL would have given us all of the ingredients to have a 10+ win season. And everybody gets more hype and attention on a 10 win team, a QB's weaknesses be damned.

Again, a fine set of counterpoints, but I disagree. I would have advised him to say, regardless of my orange and green shades. And I think most kids in his situation would have stuck around, too.

Yeah if i though he was likely to really improve his pocket movement/mobility, id say he should stay. and i do agree that the ol will improve, but will it improve enough?

my main thing is we've known since he first played that this was his weakness, and that it was a major one. but as a freshman we dismissed it because well he was a freshman and thought it would for sure improve.
then last yr he took a step back and didnt improve in the pocket. this was the year for sure that we should have seen improvement from him, and he probably lookex worse than he ever has. I think its basically a fact that he was not going to improve with another year here. In all likelihood he will never develop into a good qb due to his mobility in the pocket. but i think the coaching that he needs to potentially learn is in the nfl. if he didnt learn it in 3 yrs, including with a private qb coach, he wasnt going to this yr

Yet ppl on this site really believe they were right in blaming Richt for this clowns performance?? Brad Kaaya leaving early was the best thing that could happen to this program for next season. We weren't going to win shx with him at qb.
kaaya struggled greatly when pressured, but overall he was a very good qb to play here. no way in **** id take any true freshman over a senior kaaya

Advertisement
That was about as accurate a scouting report as I've ever read. I wouldn't go anywhere near Kaaya as an NFL GM after watching him this year. I expected him to gradually get better with his footwork in the pocket and his ability to move subtly. He didn't. Maybe that has something to do with the gripes about him not being focused on the team.

I don't see any possible way that the Kaaya we saw this year can succeed in the NFL with those animals bearing down on him on every snap.

Brad Kaaya Scouting Report
Strengths:
Quality arm strength
Flashes ability to make some perfect throws
Can make all the throws required
Throws a catchable ball
Can throw passes with touch
Can throw the deep ball
Works through progressions in a clean pocket
Good field vision in a clean pocket
Has some experience working under center
Tough; takes big hits

Weaknesses:
Terrible vision; looks down at the pass rush
Crippling lack of mobility in the pocket
Very poor at avoiding sacks
Lacks pocket presence
Lacks awareness

Player Comparison: Ryan Tannehill

Fixed. I swear that could be the exact scouting report for Tannehill too.

u do know tannehill is actually pretty athletic

I don't think you'd ever see Kaaya playing WR like Tannehill did for awhile at Texas AM.

Advertisement
Sounds right! We're movin on. Something tells me Richt ain't losing sleep over it...

I'm beginning to believe this more and more. Haven't seen a single story where it was reported that he implored Kaaya to return.

I get the feeling Rick wasn't all busted up to see Kaaya leave. He had one pretty cold comment on the subject after Kaaya declared where he said something like "he's doing what he thinks he should do."

Advertisement
Back