brad kaaya scouting report from wfb

Advertisement
why did he come out??? he really must have had some conflict with richt.

on a side note is it possible for him to improve his athleticism? i just wonder how a 21 year old kid who has played sports his entire life can move so poorly. there has got to be a way for him to improve his movement.

exactly if his main drawback is mobility that isnt changing. If his upside is 3rd round and downside is 5th round he may as well come out now as his status isnt likely to go up by waiting a year.

Dont hate me but he is Dorsey
- more accurate - better down field passer
- he will never be a pro bowler - he will get a shot some where but I expect him to play 5 years in the League and go into coaching

His stock wasn't going up. He cashed out when he could. Hope he fools them in the combines and gets drafted high. Does well in the league. I'm just glad we get a new QB next year, but the good press if he's successful can't hurt.

lulz at the use of "crippling" twice in Kaaya's eval.

I love how they put it right back on Kaaya. So many people here blame the O-line for making Kaaya look bad, but I believe it was Kaaya that made THEM look bad. Do we have a great line? No. However, when your QB freaks out like Kaaya did so often and takes a sack when maybe, just maybe he could avoid it with a LITTLE movement, it makes your line look worse than it is. Anyone with any mobility at all takes half the sacks Kaaya does, and our O-line looks a **** of a lot better because of it.

Advertisement
I couldn't quarrel with much of anything in that report. A couple of things were omitted...the poor red zone interception rate and glaring frontrunner tendencies. You could predict how Kaaya would fare in the second half based on whether or not we were leading. He doesn't like deficits.

The aspect of looking at linemen's feet was somewhat overblown. He looks downward briefly and shuffles his feet in panic but I never thought he actually stared at feet.

I have seen another comparison, to Jared Goff. But it wasn't an overly flattering review. This is from someone who had a lower opinion of Goff than the consensus last year.

Kaaya is somewhat gangly and frail and vulnerable to pressure like Goff, but with the happy feet and pocket paralysis of an older version of Peyton Manning, as someone else posted in this thread.

You can't discount his NFL chances because the NFL is hardly as daunting as decades ago, before defenses were restrained. There are bad quarterbacks all over the league, in backup roles or borderline starters.

The aspect of a weak quarterback crop is typically overstated. The league always shoves 2 or 3 guys into the first round, regardless of caliber. This time it looks like it will be Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky and possibly DeShone Kizer. Davis Webb of Cal is the physical specimen but he has some bad traits, like throwing off his back foot even when it makes no sense. It depends on how he tests and if some team falls for him.

From that point the league has demonstrated it doesn't mind waiting several rounds for the next tier of quarterbacks to come off the board.

Kaaya is probably 3rd to 6th best QB in draft. He will get taken in round 2 or 3. Not a terrible situation to cash out in.

FYI my rankings :

1. watson
2. Trubisky

3 - 7 : cal QB, texas tech QB, kizer, kaaya, probably someone that i dont even know
8 : swag kelly ( jk)

reasonable business decision by Kaaya.

I couldn't quarrel with much of anything in that report. A couple of things were omitted...the poor red zone interception rate and glaring frontrunner tendencies. You could predict how Kaaya would fare in the second half based on whether or not we were leading. He doesn't like deficits.

The aspect of looking at linemen's feet was somewhat overblown. He looks downward briefly and shuffles his feet in panic but I never thought he actually stared at feet.

I have seen another comparison, to Jared Goff. But it wasn't an overly flattering review. This is from someone who had a lower opinion of Goff than the consensus last year.

Kaaya is somewhat gangly and frail and vulnerable to pressure like Goff, but with the happy feet and pocket paralysis of an older version of Peyton Manning, as someone else posted in this thread.

You can't discount his NFL chances because the NFL is hardly as daunting as decades ago, before defenses were restrained. There are bad quarterbacks all over the league, in backup roles or borderline starters.

The aspect of a weak quarterback crop is typically overstated. The league always shoves 2 or 3 guys into the first round, regardless of caliber. This time it looks like it will be Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky and possibly DeShone Kizer. Davis Webb of Cal is the physical specimen but he has some bad traits, like throwing off his back foot even when it makes no sense. It depends on how he tests and if some team falls for him.

From that point the league has demonstrated it doesn't mind waiting several rounds for the next tier of quarterbacks to come off the board.

It's plain to see we just need more Power-I formation, smash mouth football and we'll be good 2 go.

why did he come out??? he really must have had some conflict with richt.

on a side note is it possible for him to improve his athleticism? i just wonder how a 21 year old kid who has played sports his entire life can move so poorly. there has got to be a way for him to improve his movement.

I've heard from interns in the football offices that he doesn't like Rick, but I always assumed that was false gossip. Reading this makes me think maybe Kaaya really didn't want to stick around any longer in part because of that.

I personally think he was getting too much sunshine blown up his ****** from his outside "mentors/gurus" on the West Coast but the Rick dynamic would be an interesting one to hear about if the facts ever do come out (if there are any to come out). Unless Golden and Coley were flat out worshiping the kid I can't see how there'd be that much of a personality conflict with Rick. I also can't see how Rick would even remotely suggest that him leaving this year would be wise either. There's something not adding up here beyond it being a weak QB class- and even that may end up being problematic as it seems like everyone declared that could've thus throwing our guy in a big pack of available QBs with possible question marks.

I believe in the Golden/Coley "guarantees" angle. They handed him the job during recruiting is the rumor.

Advertisement
Kaaya is probably 3rd to 6th best QB in draft. He will get taken in round 2 or 3. Not a terrible situation to cash out in.

FYI my rankings :

1. watson
2. Trubisky

3 - 7 : cal QB, texas tech QB, kizer, kaaya, probably someone that i dont even know
8 : swag kelly ( jk)

reasonable business decision by Kaaya.

I don't think Watson will be a good pro. Espiscislly if he goes where I think he will be going (browns). He's probably even more behind on reading defenses and going through progressions than kaaya but the team he was on masked those deficiencies for the most part.

Advertisement
Back