Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

This is good information to have. I have avoided it b/c of the celebrity tie-in (I love Bob Dylan as a musician, but tend to dislike Celebrity-endorsed alcohol), but with this endorsement I'll try it out.
I was given a sampler pack with 3 different varieties a few years back.

1. It was a good idea
2. 2 outta 3 ain’t bad (but none of them went to waste

I ran into this a few weeks ago and grabbed it
1645707694512.jpeg

Not bad at all.

I strongly agree with you that the best bourbon is the one you like, the way you like it.

To that point, I opened a StaggJr over the weekend and it once again delivered. I felt it was substantially better to me than the 1792 Full Proof which I also opened.

Advertisement
I was given a sampler pack with 3 different varieties a few years back.

1. It was a good idea
2. 2 outta 3 ain’t bad (but none of them went to waste

I ran into this a few weeks ago and grabbed it
View attachment 178502
Not bad at all.

I strongly agree with you that the best bourbon is the one you like, the way you like it.

To that point, I opened a StaggJr over the weekend and it once again delivered. I felt it was substantially better to me than the 1792 Full Proof which I also opened.
My man! I just opened a Stagg Jr. last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. 131 proof but it doesn't overpower on the nose or take away from the flavor and spice in the finish.

I'll definitely have to grab the Heaven's Door the next time I'm out for whiskey. Which was the 1 of 3 you didn't enjoy?

My man! I just opened a Stagg Jr. last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. 131 proof but it doesn't overpower on the nose or take away from the flavor and spice in the finish.

I'll definitely have to grab the Heaven's Door the next time I'm out for whiskey. Which was the 1 of 3 you didn't enjoy?
It was the Rye. Which I attribute more to ryes being a bit hit or miss for me. I may sample a few I have laying around tomorrow to give them a fresh go.

To Stagg Jr…Stagg Jr is one of those that I can point to the first time I tasted it as a drink that was right place, right time and just hit the spot that day.

Warhorse (Gaines St Pizza) in Tallahassee a few years back. I had just grabbed two bottles of Jr during the week but hadn’t tried it yet. So I’m up in Tallahassee for a meeting and we walk across the street from the Residence Inn to the bar and they have a great list. My buddy says what are you drinking, to which I say I’m not sure whether to get Stagg Jr or the Taylor 4Gr — he says — we aren’t going anywhere anytime soon so you’ll have time for both.

That Stagg Jr pour was just right.

Last edited:
@No_Fly_Zone

As discussed:
View attachment 178625
I preferred Heaven’s Door and Basil Hayden’s to the Sazerac for sure. Topped it off with a Calumet 15 whilst participating in virtual bourbon camaraderie…
Very nice time, right there. I haven't had a chance to pick up the Heaven's Door yet, but I know they have it at my local ABC. Cheers, my man!

Advertisement
@DusseDez My favorite bourbons in various price points include Old Forester, Buffalo Trace, and Angels Envy. I actually prefer a spicy rye whiskey myself. Lately I have been making a lot of ****tails with Scotch, Mezcal, Rye Whiskey, and Bombay Saphirre East. If I’m sipping on a whiskey, then it is most likely to be Laphroag, Talisker, or Oban.

What’s your position on putting a few drops of water in your whiskey? Some people swear by it.

Tour time approaching:

Evan Williams Experience
Peerless

Willett Tasting Through the Times
Lux Row Premium Tasting
Heaven Hill You Do Bourbon

Michter's Tour and Tasting
Stitzel Weller Tour and Tasting
Old Forester Tour and Tasting
Angel's Envy Tour and Tasting

Tour time approaching:

Evan Williams Experience
Peerless

Lux Row Premium Tasting

Good stuff, man. Enjoy!

Advertisement
What’s your position on putting a few drops of water in your whiskey? Some people swear by it.
I've tried. Apparently my tastes cannot appreciate the few drops. I can 100% appreciate the taste of a good bourbon though. I unfortunately learned at a flight-house just how much better good bourbons are... I wish I never tried them lol. Mid-shelf bourbons just aren't the same...

I've tried. Apparently my tastes cannot appreciate the few drops. I can 100% appreciate the taste of a good bourbon though. I unfortunately learned at a flight-house just how much better good bourbons are... I wish I never tried them lol. Mid-shelf bourbons just aren't the same...
You have to do more than a few drops. Some people seriously use an eye-dropper as if that actually does anything. Teaspoons/tablespoons of water are needed. Get that cask-strength 65% down to 50-55% with a few teaspoons of water and it definitely changes noticeably. Get it down to 40% with a few tablespoons and it changes even more. Now, better or worse? That's individual preference.

I definitely prefer mine neat and will occasionally do some water on new bourbons just to experiment but 9/10 I still prefer it as is, no water.

You have to do more than a few drops. Some people seriously use an eye-dropper as if that actually does anything. Teaspoons/tablespoons of water are needed. Get that cask-strength 65% down to 50-55% with a few teaspoons of water and it definitely changes noticeably. Get it down to 40% with a few tablespoons and it changes even more. Now, better or worse? That's individual preference.

I definitely prefer mine neat and will occasionally do some water on new bourbons just to experiment but 9/10 I still prefer it as is, no water.
Humor me if you will. X Tablespoons into how much bourbon? When I'm drinking I like easy math! :)

Humor me if you will. X Tablespoons into how much bourbon? When I'm drinking I like easy math! :)
Start small. The object is usually to "open up" the notes on the nose and the palate. So, 1 Tablespoon into 2 ounces of bourbon. See what that does for you. Add more or less depending on your preference after letting it sit for a minute or two and after a small taste.

Really just experiment with it. There is no right or wrong way. If you want to add 4 parts water to one part bourbon, personally I say why even drink it but I won't stop you as long as you're enjoying it.

Advertisement
Start small. The object is usually to "open up" the notes on the nose and the palate. So, 1 Tablespoon into 2 ounces of bourbon. See what that does for you. Add more or less depending on your preference after letting it sit for a minute or two and after a small taste.

Really just experiment with it. There is no right or wrong way. If you want to add 4 parts water to one part bourbon, personally I say why even drink it but I won't stop you as long as you're enjoying it.
OK that makes more sense. My friend was literally dripping 'drops' into 1-2 fingers of bourbon.
Thanks for the info!

OK that makes more sense. My friend was literally dripping 'drops' into 1-2 fingers of bourbon.
Thanks for the info!
No problem! You have to have the nose of a hound and a palate of a sommelier to pick out a few drops worth into two fingers 🤣

Years ago I got into some YAK at a FS STOOL home game tailgate.

That stuff blew me away , next day 24 hours later I was still blasted never hurled but that stuff SICK STUFF.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Tour time approaching:

Evan Williams Experience
Peerless

Lux Row Premium Tasting

Must be in Louisville on whiskey row. I think that I've been on all of those except for Peerless. Enjoy!

Im here for this thread

Thank you to Josh Gattis for increasing my desire for good bourbon

Things I’ve purchased recently:

1792 Sweet Wheat
Weller 12 (haven’t tried it yet waiting for the right time)
Blantons Gold, Takara Gold, SFTB

Personally love Weller SR, Eagle Rare etc

Splurged the other night at a bourbon bar and got a couple of pours of Pappy 23 to celebrate a friends engagement

It was an experience

Im here for this thread

Thank you to Josh Gattis for increasing my desire for good bourbon

Things I’ve purchased recently:

1792 Sweet Wheat
Weller 12 (haven’t tried it yet waiting for the right time)
Blantons Gold, Takara Gold, SFTB

Personally love Weller SR, Eagle Rare etc

Splurged the other night at a bourbon bar and got a couple of pours of Pappy 23 to celebrate a friends engagement

It was an experience
How was the 1792 Sweet Wheat? Still haven't seen one on a shelf.

Advertisement
Back