Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

We ordered some Pappys 12 Year at a bar last weekend and the bartender told me someone tried to order it in an Old Fashioned once

He denied them. He said nope can’t do it
Good for him! Should have Uncle Phil’d his ***!
1640994243610.gif

Advertisement
Bumping for @DusseDez , @hesskilla , and @ChoadCane ....

And I will say, in response to @hesskilla's opinion that "a good scotch (or bourbon) shouldn't be smooth," I think I understand what you mean, but disagree with what you are saying. I'd say a good bourbon (or scotch) should always have some complexity in its flavor profile.

First off, it's all about what you like. Personal preference always wins. So if what is good to the individual's taste is a "smooth" finish, then it's good for them.

Second, whether the finish is "smooth" or "spicy" or "hot" is going to depend a lot on the mashbill, the age, and the proof. That's because what most people call "smoothness" in their drinks is really less about flavor and more about how you perceive the burn from the alcohol. Residual sweetness can cover that up some, and age can also level off the burn (to a point). And a bourbon can absolutely have complex flavors and still be perceived as smooth.

For example, a wheated bourbon aged 10-12 years is going to generally finish "smooth" because it's probably got little/no rye in the mashbill, has been aged long enough to remove some of the burn from the alcohol (and adding flavor from the oak). On the other hand, I have a bottle of Weller's Full Proof at home (that most bourbon drinkers, myself included, would consider a very good bottle) that finishes w/ cinnamon flavors and lingering heat (because of the proof) that I enjoy very much but would never call a "smooth" bourbon.

Personally, I consider bourbons like Angel's Envy, Eagle Rare, EC Small Batch, Weller's 12 year, etc... very smooth but pretty good bourbons. But to each their own.

Advertisement
Guys, I LOVE a good scotch and bourbon. Truly. But this isn't the place for this discussion. We actually have an Off-Topic thread on (wait for it...) bourbon. Here's the link, and let's please keep this thread on topic:

Bumping for @DusseDez , @hesskilla , and @ChoadCane ....

And I will say, in response to @hesskilla's opinion that "a good scotch (or bourbon) shouldn't be smooth," I think I understand what you mean, but disagree with what you are saying. I'd say a good bourbon (or scotch) should always have some complexity in its flavor profile.

First off, it's all about what you like. Personal preference always wins. So if what is good to the individual's taste is a "smooth" finish, then it's good for them.

Second, whether the finish is "smooth" or "spicy" or "hot" is going to depend a lot on the mashbill, the age, and the proof. That's because what most people call "smoothness" in their drinks is really less about flavor and more about how you perceive the burn from the alcohol. Residual sweetness can cover that up some, and age can also level off the burn (to a point). And a bourbon can absolutely have complex flavors and still be perceived as smooth.

For example, a wheated bourbon aged 10-12 years is going to generally finish "smooth" because it's probably got little/no rye in the mashbill, has been aged long enough to remove some of the burn from the alcohol (and adding flavor from the oak). On the other hand, I have a bottle of Weller's Full Proof at home (that most bourbon drinkers, myself included, would consider a very good bottle) that finishes w/ cinnamon flavors and lingering heat (because of the proof) that I enjoy very much but would never call a "smooth" bourbon.

Personally, I consider bourbons like Angel's Envy, Eagle Rare, EC Small Batch, Weller's 12 year, etc... very smooth but pretty good bourbons. But to each their own.

Thanks for the bump, I didn’t even know this thread existed. I have to keep a bottle of Eagle Rare on the bar. That Weller 12 your favorite out of all of them? I haven’t got to try it yet but I love 107

Thanks for the bump, I didn’t even know this thread existed. I have to keep a bottle of Eagle Rare on the bar. That Weller 12 your favorite out of all of them? I haven’t got to try it yet but I love 107

Always happy to help... especially when bourbon is involved.

Picking a favorite is tough because what I want will often depend on my mood and what I'm doing. But of the bourbons that aren't just grossly overpriced right now or scarce, my general favorites are Eagle Rare (dangerously smooth), Woodford Reserve (a great daily sipper with a bit more spice), Blanton's (I enjoy it very much but it is borderline to have on this list because it's become a bit of a pain to find for under $80), Knobb Creek Single Barrel (a bit more gasoline for when you need that in your life), and Elijah Craig Small Batch (another great value). Four Roses Single Barrel is surprisingly good, too.

I do love my Weller's 12 a lot, though. I like the Special Reserve over the Antique 107, but even that's a bit of a mission to find these days. I saw it recently for $90 and just couldn't bring myself to pay that. There was a time not too long ago that it could be had consistently for around $30.

Picking a favorite is tough because what I want will often depend on my mood and what I'm doing. But of the bourbons that aren't just grossly overpriced right now or scarce, my general favorites are Eagle Rare (dangerously smooth), Woodford Reserve (a great daily sipper with a bit more spice), Blanton's (I enjoy it very much but it is borderline to have on this list because it's become a bit of a pain to find for under $80), Knobb Creek Single Barrel (a bit more gasoline for when you need that in your life), and Elijah Craig Small Batch (another great value). Four Roses Single Barrel is surprisingly good, too.

I do love my Weller's 12 a lot, though. I like the Special Reserve over the Antique 107, but even that's a bit of a mission to find these days. I saw it recently for $90 and just couldn't bring myself to pay that. There was a time not too long ago that it could be had consistently for around $30.

You tried the Woodford double Oaked? I’ll that over regular Woodford every time. I’m in Kentucky so everybody loves bourbon here so it’s a race to grab bottles regardless what it is. Buddy of mine just got a Weller full proof store pick that we cracking open this weekend I’m looking forward to that it’ll be my first try of that one

You tried the Woodford double Oaked? I’ll that over regular Woodford every time. I’m in Kentucky so everybody loves bourbon here so it’s a race to grab bottles regardless what it is. Buddy of mine just got a Weller full proof store pick that we cracking open this weekend I’m looking forward to that it’ll be my first try of that one
Definitely a fan of the double oaked. And it's pretty reasonably priced, so I probably should have added that one.

Congrats to your buddy on picking up the full proof. It packs a punch, but is excellent.

Advertisement
So, I am a life long bartender. It is my job to taste alcohol, buy alcohol, and sell alcohol. I didn’t mean to blow up anyones spot in the other thread. I am currently the person liquor companies must get approval from for my company to purchase cases of their product. I make and sell a lot of craft ****tails. That is my expertise. @No_Fly_Zone is correct in that it is up to personal preference. From a hospitality stand point it makes sense to serve a customer the product that makes them happy. This could include a Budweiser or whatever they desire.

Specifically speaking of Scotch, most “experts” seem to prefer the tasting notes of smoke, salt, and earth. This is why single malt Islay scotch is the most desirable. The peat moss on this island produces complex and desirable flavor profiles.

Blended liquors like Jameson, Crown Royal, and Johnnie Walker are generally targeted towards the novice drinker because of their remarkable “smooth” finish. There is no right or wrong answer here. There has been a revolution in the ****tail industry however. This includes highlighting spirits with very distinct and powerful flavor profiles.

@DusseDez My favorite bourbons in various price points include Old Forester, Buffalo Trace, and Angels Envy. I actually prefer a spicy rye whiskey myself. Lately I have been making a lot of ****tails with Scotch, Mezcal, Rye Whiskey, and Bombay Saphirre East. If I’m sipping on a whiskey, then it is most likely to be Laphroag, Talisker, or Oban.

Tried the 2021 Willam Larue Weller this weekend. Pretty **** good and easy to drink for being 130 proof

Also tried Bob Dylan’s Double Barrel. I really enjoyed this and will be picking up a bottle.

Advertisement
Also tried Bob Dylan’s Double Barrel. I really enjoyed this and will be picking up a bottle.

This is good information to have. I have avoided it b/c of the celebrity tie-in (I love Bob Dylan as a musician, but tend to dislike Celebrity-endorsed alcohol), but with this endorsement I'll try it out.

This is good information to have. I have avoided it b/c of the celebrity tie-in (I love Bob Dylan as a musician, but tend to dislike Celebrity-endorsed alcohol), but with this endorsement I'll try it out.
I felt the same way and did not want to try it.

I popped open a bottle of Smoke Wagon uncut unfiltered yesterday . Was very pleasantly surprised. I’d recommend trying it .

Advertisement
I popped open a bottle of Smoke Wagon uncut unfiltered yesterday . Was very pleasantly surprised. I’d recommend trying it .

This is a funny coincidence. I had never even heard of it until about two weeks ago when some random guy I was chatting with in the bourbon aisle at Total Wines mentioned it. He asked me about the Jefferson's Ocean and I told him I thought it was pure BS and I made a comment about ocean-aged wine and other marketing gimmicks. Then he told me about this desert-aged bourbon he'd been looking for called Smoke Wagon.

I looked into it a little and saw that it was a sourced bourbon, which doesn't necessarily turn me off (Masterson's is sourced and I really enjoy it). Since I can never find a bottle of Bourye anywhere anyway, on your rec I'll definitely add Smoke Wagon to my list when I'm out looking for a high rye bourbon!

This is a funny coincidence. I had never even heard of it until about two weeks ago when some random guy I was chatting with in the bourbon aisle at Total Wines mentioned it. He asked me about the Jefferson's Ocean and I told him I thought it was pure BS and I made a comment about ocean-aged wine and other marketing gimmicks. Then he told me about this desert-aged bourbon he'd been looking for called Smoke Wagon.

I looked into it a little and saw that it was a sourced bourbon, which doesn't necessarily turn me off (Masterson's is sourced and I really enjoy it). Since I can never find a bottle of Bourye anywhere anyway, on your rec I'll definitely add Smoke Wagon to my list when I'm out looking for a high rye bourbon!
I was a bit gun shy to pull the trigger when I bought it , liked the bottle and had heard good things. Liked it a lot though .

Weller. Eagle Rare. Excellent.

Let me know when I should stop in.

Advertisement
Back