Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Anyone else fighting mad this morning because they got an ABC Vault key for a bourbon vault, but the website crashed within the first 10 minutes the vault went live? Because that's been my morning grind...

Advertisement
Picked up Henry McKenna from a buddy whose offloading some stuff. Feels like I am going down the bourbon rabbit hole lol
Ain't no getting out once you open that Bourbon door , brother.....was this your first bottle of McKenna 10 ?

If you haven't tried Rare Breed do yourself a favor and get a bottle.

Advertisement
FYI from ABC for my fellow keyed Canes who got server crashed yesterday (and nearly put a hole in their wall)...

VaultCrash_Splash_TheABCvault.Com.jpg

Further evidence that as far as businesses go ABC Fine Wines & Spirits is about as classy as it gets. Taking ownership, re-opening the Vault for all those effected, and adding at least one more Vault access event to the calendar (they typically do 1 per month).

Ain't no getting out once you open that Bourbon door , brother.....was this your first bottle of McKenna 10 ?

If you haven't tried Rare Breed do yourself a favor and get a bottle.
Got to try this at a buddy’s office yesterday. Couldn’t believe how sweet it was to start. I can see why bourbon prices are wild and how fast stuff is bought up lol.

1671332631782.jpeg

Advertisement
Got to try this at a buddy’s office yesterday. Couldn’t believe how sweet it was to start. I can see why bourbon prices are wild and how fast stuff is bought up lol.

View attachment 220405
I’m jealous . I’ve had small batch and single barrel but never barrel proof EH Taylor .

How high on your list of favorite bourbons would you rank it ?

I’m jealous . I’ve had small batch and single barrel but never barrel proof EH Taylor .

How high on your list of favorite bourbons would you rank it ?
This is easily #1 so far but like I mentioned, I’m new to bourbon. Started trying stuff earlier this year.

This is easily #1 so far but like I mentioned, I’m new to bourbon. Started trying stuff earlier this year.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it remains at #1 going off how much I enjoy the small batch and single barrel EH Taylor ….I’ve never even seen a barrel proof EH Taylor at a store .

If you get a chance to get Stagg jr for under $200 jump on it , brother . It’s also Buffalo Trace made and sweet .

I wouldn’t be surprised if it remains at #1 going off how much I enjoy the small batch and single barrel EH Taylor ….I’ve never even seen a barrel proof EH Taylor at a store .

If you get a chance to get Stagg jr for under $200 jump on it , brother . It’s also Buffalo Trace made and sweet .
Appreciate the tip!

Advertisement
I was in Tennessee last week and managed to get my hands on a ECBP (c922) and a bottle of McKenna's. Paid $89.99 for each bottle, which still feels like too much for the McKenna's but I was just excited to see the bottle on the shelf.

I was in Tennessee last week and managed to get my hands on a ECBP (c922) and a bottle of McKenna's. Paid $89.99 for each bottle, which still feels like too much for the McKenna's but I was just excited to see the bottle on the shelf.
When I was in KY last month finding rare bottles like Weller 12 or Elmer T. for example wasn't overly difficult. **** I even saw a bottle of Pappy's behind the counter at one place. But they still wanted top dollar for it all. I passed, but it was definitely cool seeing a full line-up of Weller on the shelf.

When I was in KY last month finding rare bottles like Weller 12 or Elmer T. for example wasn't overly difficult. **** I even saw a bottle of Pappy's behind the counter at one place. But they still wanted top dollar for it all. I passed, but it was definitely cool seeing a full line-up of Weller on the shelf.

Definitely still cool. Never done a KY trip, but it is on the list.

This trip I saw some Weller's 12 (asking $349.99 though), and a couple bottles of overpriced Pappy's behind glass. Most personally impressive bottle I saw on the trip was a William Larue Weller at a place in Pidgeon Forge. I'd never seen that bottle for sale before. Of course they wanted $1300 for it though, lol. I politely passed.

Advertisement
Ha, just finished a bottle of that saturday. If you like old fashioneds this is a great one for the holidays.

Soak orange rind, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and clove in apple cider overnight. Remove orange peel and reduce liquid in sauce pan down by about half. Use as simple syrup and garnish with whatever you like. (Apple slices, apple chips, cinn sticks, orange peel, cherry) and obv add bitters.

That simple syrup recipe sounds delicious. I'm still doing the sugar cube with orange bitters lol. Love my Old Fashioned's.

This has been a fantastic thread for suggestions on which bourbons to sample, thanks to all!

Got a surprise when I did a double blind taste test with my friends, who each had an expensive bourbon they loved and were certain they would pick their preferred bourbon.

Had all the best bourbons in the test. And a few cheap-*** common ones.

Jim Beam, of all things, won easily.

Shocked us all.

cheers alcohol GIF by JimBeam
whiskey bourbon GIF by JimBeam

Advertisement
Back