Bold take for Saturday

Advertisement
I understand that, I will say I’m an optimist if anything. But it’s kinda like going fishing when you know that the weather is perfect, the tides, the season, the location and tides and type of bait is al perfect and you still come up with nothing. Same with Miami, they have the pieces (QB, TEs, talented/experienced secondary with a top notch DB coach, DTs, an experienced OL, and solid WRs) But through two games we haven’t seen the hype. Granted we went up against two great teams that both were highly motivated to beat us (for different reasons) and we were only able to out talent one. Being the optimist I am I’m led to believe that we are due for a 4Q performance from the team. If this team didn’t believe in manny or the culture then the returning players such as bolden, King, Harley or the addition of Stevenson would have left when they had the chance.
Not defending Manny one iota, but your point about many players returning or staying with the program gets lost in the negative hyperbole. Nonetheless, with as much experience as we have on this team, there’s no excuse for the mistakes and blown assignments.

I understand that, I will say I’m an optimist if anything. But it’s kinda like going fishing when you know that the weather is perfect, the tides, the season, the location and tides and type of bait is al perfect and you still come up with nothing. Same with Miami, they have the pieces (QB, TEs, talented/experienced secondary with a top notch DB coach, DTs, an experienced OL, and solid WRs) But through two games we haven’t seen the hype. Granted we went up against two great teams that both were highly motivated to beat us (for different reasons) and we were only able to out talent one. Being the optimist I am I’m led to believe that we are due for a 4Q performance from the team. If this team didn’t believe in manny or the culture then the returning players such as bolden, King, Harley or the addition of Stevenson would have left when they had the chance.
Love the fishing analogy. My theory has always been the fish make you earn it. Not gonna kick back with sunny and 70 on glass and catch slobs. It's gonna be 100 and humid as **** and a miserable rolling wake and a storm approaching. Then you might get something good.

I will simply say this. I am not defending Manny one bit or bashing him. I just don't want to hear all the folks on here that do bash him in every post talk crap if the Canes do win this and say "they only beat MSU, they aren't crap" while you have all been on here slurping their coach and running back near as much as you slurp Brown/Howell.
You can't have it both ways.............

FWIW the weather up there in East lansing will be a high of 71 and low of 47. So for z any of y’all that don’t think that a hot 89° day with 93% humidity is gonna affect them I beg to differ. That air up there is DRY and lemme tell you if your lungs aren’t use to that South FL air it’ll take getting use to.

If we get ANY type of groove Saturday with our Offense and start going tempo that DL of theirs (that is down 2 starting DEs and a 4th string DE) will be sucking wind and will be begging to come out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
FWIW the weather up there in East lansing will be a high of 71 and low of 47. So for z any of y’all that don’t think that a hot 89° day with 93% humidity is gonna affect them I beg to differ. That air up there is DRY and lemme tell you if your lungs aren’t use to that South FL air it’ll take getting use to.

If we get ANY type of groove Saturday with our Offense and start going tempo that DL of theirs (that is down 2 starting DEs and a 4th string DE) will be sucking wind and will be begging to come out.

Maybe you forget that we practice in an indoor air conditioned facility....

Would have left and did what? Become UDFA's? They act like they came back to win and say that, but sure haven't shown it. I think they came back out of necessity not to play another year for a great coach.
Isn’t that usually how it works? We’ve seen a lot of that in recent years.

This is very plausible. I'm pretty down on this team right now, but the optimistic part of me shares your view. Bama is an aberration. They're light years beyond where we are. Then, game 2, we walk in kind of down and wounded against a team who is playing their "Super Bowl." It's plausible we play much better week 3 and beyond. I'm not counting on this, but this is what I'm hoping for.

Advertisement
I will simply say this. I am not defending Manny one bit or bashing him. I just don't want to hear all the folks on here that do bash him in every post talk crap if the Canes do win this and say "they only beat MSU, they aren't crap" while you have all been on here slurping their coach and running back near as much as you slurp Brown/Howell.
You can't have it both ways.............
Damned if we do and damned if we don’t. Any positive is rarely mentioned - win or lose.

Don’t underestimate the power of confidence. As I said before winning ugly and realizing your performance wasn’t good enough is different mentally then losing ugly and realizing you weren’t good enough. I think this team DOES have something to prove and I really believe they want to.
Of course they want to, but are they capable?
I have my doubts after seeing the first two games of the season. This is a fundamentally flawed team on both offense and defense due to terrible coaching IMO. That’s a lot for players to over come.
Hope we win but wouldn’t surprise me to see a total collapse like NC last year and Mich St runs for 300, 400, 500+ yards on Saturday.

Of course they want to, but are they capable?
I have my doubts after seeing the first two games of the season. This is a fundamentally flawed team on both offense and defense due to terrible coaching IMO. That’s a lot for players to over come.
Hope we win but wouldn’t surprise me to see a total collapse like NC last year and Mich St runs for 300, 400, 500+ yards on Saturday.

All those film breakdowns show that this team could easily have plastered App State and made the game v Bama much tighter without critical errors. Just cleaning up the tackling, avoiding MEs on special teams. pressing on defense and ensuring the OL/TE/WR block someone would result in massive improvements in outcomes. Then rolling in the more talented freshmen and WRs who can catch the ball… we’re not nearly as far off as it looks.

As someone who has watched and played football the last 10 years, and understands that football is as mental as it is physical, I believe we get on track this week. Here’s why: the last two weeks have been unlucky for us, we played a powerhouse with loads off hype for our team and high expectations and we fell face down. Next week we come in with our confidence shaken but ready to get on track. On the other hand App state was VERY confident, hyped and ready to take down a “wounded giant” they had nothing to lose. Before app state we were 0-3 dating back to last year with 2 blowouts. Believe it or not there is a difference between winning and knowing your performance is wasnt good enough and losing and knowing your performance wasn’t good enough. We finally have a win and can breathe a sigh of relief that we won (even if we hand to tough it out but sometimes it’s a wake up call). Next I don’t believe MSU is as good as they seem. They best a Northwestern team that scored 21 points against them yet only scored 24 points against FCS opponent Indiana State. MSU does not seem to be a team that gets TFLs or Sacks, wether by design or lack of DL play I’m not sure. (They have 5 sacks and 10 TFLs combined in 2 games against inferior competition while Miami has 2 sacks and 20 TFLs in the same span against better competition.) When you take out sacks MSU is allowing an average of about 5 yards a carry which again…is not good. Having Chaney out in this game will hurt but I think King, Harris and brown should be affective Saturday. Call it a gut feeling but I think this is the week Miami puts it together for all 4 Quarters. They seem to always show up when everyone is doubting them. Now they get to prove us wrong and I think they will do just that. Canes win 38-17
I’m going to just keep it real with everyone , fact is Miami showed up flat , uninspired and didn’t believe ASU had any chance to beat them. Total disrespect. Which explains a bad week of practice. Kids were laughing and joking all week , even people who we consider leaders ( not king) . They thought they could roll their helmet out and that would be enough, which is hilarious to me. This is another red flag for the coaches, another week of starting slow and playing with no urgency.

This week I expect them to play their best game of the year , if last week doesn’t wake them up , get them focused and put a fire under their *** nothing will. The first two weeks are just what we are.

This is the biggest game of Mannys life , either they show up inspired and play their best game or the wheels start wobbling and eventually come off.

Lastly I’ll say this , Mannys teams come out at a weekly rate flat and not ready to play. Unlike any other coach I’ve ever seen. I get a really good team coming out flat every blue moon, it’s the middle of the season , you just had a fist fight the precious week with a rival. So yeah, kids will look past the opponent or take a half to get going. We do this most weeks. You only have twelve games so you should have a lot more ( here’s that word) URGENCY!! As a staff and as a team.

Advertisement
I’m going to just keep it real with everyone , fact is Miami showed up flat , uninspired and didn’t believe ASU had any chance to beat them. Total disrespect. Which explains a bad week of practice. Kids were laughing and joking all week , even people who we consider leaders ( not king) . They thought they could roll their helmet out and that would be enough, which is hilarious to me. This is another red flag for the coaches, another week of starting slow and playing with no urgency.

This week I expect them to play their best game of the year , if last week doesn’t wake them up , get them focused and put a fire under their *** nothing will. The first two weeks are just what we are.

This is the biggest game of Mannys life , either they show up inspired and play their best game or the wheels start wobbling and eventually come off.

Lastly I’ll say this , Mannys teams come out at a weekly rate flat and not ready to play. Unlike any other coach I’ve ever seen. I get a really good team coming out flat every blue moon, it’s the middle of the season , you just had a fist fight the precious week with a rival. So yeah, kids will look past the opponent or take a half to get going. We do this most weeks. You only have twelve games so you should have a lot more ( here’s that word) URGENCY!! As a staff and as a team.
You’d think after FIU, LT, etc they would learn..

Can’t say I disagree, sometimes you need those types of games to remind a player they aren’t who they think they are. Hopefully it DOES give them a sense of urgency. If they have any respect for themselves as a player and team they will get it together. Going into ACC play 3-1 coming off three straight wins is something the team will desperately need. This game is about momentum and confidence.

What a disappointing thing to read. Ramming fuel truck after fuel truck into the Hecht Athletic Center and starting over completely may be the only way to cure the cancerous culture here.

Advertisement
As someone who has watched and played football the last 10 years, and understands that football is as mental as it is physical, I believe we get on track this week. Here’s why:

the last two weeks have been unlucky for us, we played a powerhouse with loads off hype for our team and high expectations and we fell face down. Next week we come in with our confidence shaken but ready to get on track. On the other hand App state was VERY confident, hyped and ready to take down a “wounded giant” they had nothing to lose. Before app state we were 0-3 dating back to last year with 2 blowouts. Believe it or not there is a difference between winning and knowing your performance is wasnt good enough and losing and knowing your performance wasn’t good enough. We finally have a win and can breathe a sigh of relief that we won (even if we hand to tough it out but sometimes it’s a wake up call).

Next I don’t believe MSU is as good as they seem. They best a Northwestern team that scored 21 points against them yet only scored 24 points against FCS opponent Indiana State. MSU does not seem to be a team that gets TFLs or Sacks, wether by design or lack of DL play I’m not sure. (They have 5 sacks and 10 TFLs combined in 2 games against inferior competition while Miami has 2 sacks and 20 TFLs in the same span against better competition.)
When you take out sacks MSU is allowing an average of about 5 yards a carry which again…is not good. Having Chaney out in this game will hurt but I think King, Harris and brown should be affective Saturday.

Call it a gut feeling but I think this is the week Miami puts it together for all 4 Quarters. They seem to always show up when everyone is doubting them. Now they get to prove us wrong and I think they will do just that.

Canes win 38-17
rick james cocaine GIF

We have played so bad there is no way to go but to play better. But with Miami is coached theres always a chance to get worse

This.

And this is why I’ve said what I’ve said.

Advertisement
Back