Bold take for Saturday

As someone who has watched and played football the last 10 years, and understands that football is as mental as it is physical, I believe we get on track this week. Here’s why:

the last two weeks have been unlucky for us, we played a powerhouse with loads off hype for our team and high expectations and we fell face down. Next week we come in with our confidence shaken but ready to get on track. On the other hand App state was VERY confident, hyped and ready to take down a “wounded giant” they had nothing to lose. Before app state we were 0-3 dating back to last year with 2 blowouts. Believe it or not there is a difference between winning and knowing your performance is wasnt good enough and losing and knowing your performance wasn’t good enough. We finally have a win and can breathe a sigh of relief that we won (even if we hand to tough it out but sometimes it’s a wake up call).

Next I don’t believe MSU is as good as they seem. They best a Northwestern team that scored 21 points against them yet only scored 24 points against FCS opponent Indiana State. MSU does not seem to be a team that gets TFLs or Sacks, wether by design or lack of DL play I’m not sure. (They have 5 sacks and 10 TFLs combined in 2 games against inferior competition while Miami has 2 sacks and 20 TFLs in the same span against better competition.)
When you take out sacks MSU is allowing an average of about 5 yards a carry which again…is not good. Having Chaney out in this game will hurt but I think King, Harris and brown should be affective Saturday.

Call it a gut feeling but I think this is the week Miami puts it together for all 4 Quarters. They seem to always show up when everyone is doubting them. Now they get to prove us wrong and I think they will do just that.

Canes win 38-17
Sorry, but you lost me at “wounded giant.”

This team is wounded, yes. But it’s no giant.

Advertisement
.Canes win 38-17
bronson.gif

Advertisement
A very reasonable and level headed take. Something this program needs badly right now is a nice decisive win vs a power 5 team. My only issue is we haven't seen any signs yet that point to us handling a team that is solid. We will see, hope you are right!

Advertisement
Sorry, but you lost me at “wounded giant.”

This team is wounded, yes. But it’s no giant.
When you’re a unranked G5 team on the road against a team in that was in the top 15 (and currently top 25) that has high expectations for the year and just lost badly the previous week. then yes you’re identified as a wounded Giant. Maybe not an OSU, UGA or Clemson giant but a giant nonetheless (from a G5 perspective).

Lmao it’s a different kind of heat here in Miami. Not sure how difficult it’s going to be to be outside Saturday morning. We’ll see if a team from Michigan, where it’s literally becoming fall, is ready for a hot summers day. It tends to wear on the physically weak. I’m hoping they fit the bill. It can kick your *** if you’re not used to it.
It's two weeks removed from August. It's still summer weather in the midwest. I wouldn't overthink this humidity thing. It aint the week before Thanksgiving. It was like 86 in the evening two nights ago in Chicago and humid.

When you’re a unranked G5 team on the road against a team in that was in the top 15 (and currently top 25) that has high expectations for the year and just lost badly the previous week. then yes you’re identified as a wounded Giant. Maybe not an OSU, UGA or Clemson giant but a giant nonetheless (from a G5 perspective).
The Kid Mero Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

Advertisement
I dont see how anyone can have any idea what this team will do from week to week. After what weve seen the first 2 weeks.
The general idea is to get better even with all visible flaws in place. Find a hobby bro you sound like you're having a miserable time with life right now....

He’s actually not wrong. It doesn’t excuse the performance. If you’ve got good players and good coaches, you steamroll lesser talent. But, as much as our own fans **** on the program, beating a team like Miami for a program like App State is literally a program defining win. We say we suck and will never be back and the AD should die and Manny should be shot into the sun, but teams still circle that U on the schedule. Crazy as it may seem to us. This is still a major brand nationally. They’d have had people camped out at the airport to cheer them when they got home. Those kids won’t be more fired up to play another game all year than they were Saturday. And they almost pulled it off.

Advertisement
@StevoBevo I tend to agree with you. I've followed Northwestern on and off for years, and can tell you that this year's version is a shell of last year's. They lost a ton of talent. I don't think that win tells us anything about Michigan State, it's like us beating UVA in a down year for them. I also think the home field and Miami weather gives us an extra advantage.

I'm still down on Manny and the team performance relative to where we should be. One win, if we do win, doesn't change anything. Just as I observed the NU win says little about MSU, an MSU by Miami says little about us. They're literally no different than any other mid-tier ACC team. We shouldn't even be considering them a threat.

Manny needs to make fundamental changes so we can start stomping on mediocre teams, not squeaking by them, and ultimately winning against Top 10 teams.

He’s actually not wrong. It doesn’t excuse the performance. If you’ve got good players and good coaches, you steamroll lesser talent. But, as much as our own fans **** on the program, beating a team like Miami for a program like App State is literally a program defining win. We say we suck and will never be back and the AD should die and Manny should be shot into the sun, but teams still circle that U on the schedule. Crazy as it may seem to us. This is still a major brand nationally. They’d have had people camped out at the airport to cheer them when they got home. Those kids won’t be more fired up to play another game all year than they were Saturday. And they almost pulled it off.
Giants win. We aren’t a Giant. We use to be giants. We haven’t been for over a decade.

I get what you’re saying but if that narrative makes you sleep better, at night, then good for you. I’m not buying any of it.

Advertisement
Back