Biggest Personal Eval Miss

Greg Cooper was actually ahead of shady McCoy at prep school.......they were both supposed to come here .....wish we got shady instead of Cooper

Not because of talent. Trust me, McCoy was ALWAYS the better player. He broke ankles in high school (until he broke his own) the way he is now in the NFL. There was other things going on that kept Cooper as the starter over McCoy. Using depth charts to justify skills can be fools gold. Look at some of the LBs that played here under Shannon.

Advertisement
Bust - James Bryant. I watched that guy in destroy Pat Devlin in high school and dominate at both LB and RB. He was a manchild. I expected him to come to Miami and be the next great LB. I still don't think he ever got a fair shot like Arthur Brown, but since he never amounted to the player i expected regardless of reason, i was wrong.

Exceeded Expectations - Clive Walford. Honestly, i never expected this guy to play a single down here. After quitting his high school team to concentrate on basketball and seeing his clips, i just didn't think he was that good and didn't expect him to sit things out on the bench until he improved enough to play (he was really raw). I still don't think he's a world beater but he's been solid starter for us.

Greg Cooper was actually ahead of shady McCoy at prep school.......they were both supposed to come here .....wish we got shady instead of Cooper

Not because of talent. Trust me, McCoy was ALWAYS the better player. He broke ankles in high school (until he broke his own) the way he is now in the NFL. There was other things going on that kept Cooper as the starter over McCoy. Using depth charts to justify skills can be fools gold. Look at some of the LBs that played here under Shannon.

Correct. McCoy was always the better player but had a bad injury which led to Coop getting the spotlight.

Advertisement
I can't even label any player that has gone through this program in the past 10 years a bust.

Look at the horrific coaching.

How many times did we see a guy do nothing much here, and then go into the league, and make plays.

Look at the Brown boys from Kansas. Mainly big brother, but nothing here. Goes to KSU, and balls the **** out. Bryce is even in the league.

**** even guys that were ghost under Randy. Became pretty decent in one or 2 years under Al.

AJ Highsmith might be the worst scholarship player I've seen in 31 years of living. Of course he ends up at Miami.

Advertisement
Kevin Nelson that LB out of Gainesville

I thought he would bring back that old school miami back with the shizz talking he did coming in

Ray Ray Armstrong and Dyron Dye Busts

To go along with this...to be completely honest my biggest personal evaluation miss was easily Andre Debose. The part of the Sanford trio that went to UF...and I was sure that we missed out on the most talented of the 3 with Debose. I was 100% positive that this kid was in fact "The next Percy Harvin". I was wrong...kid never panned out.

As far as Canes...I will point again to #1 DT in the nation Marcus Forston. I saw him play live 2 times in high school and the kid was the most dominant DT I'd ever seen. I still have no clue why this kid couldn't put it together.

Advertisement

To go along with this...to be completely honest my biggest personal evaluation miss was easily Andre Debose. The part of the Sanford trio that went to UF...and I was sure that we missed out on the most talented of the 3 with Debose. I was 100% positive that this kid was in fact "The next Percy Harvin". I was wrong...kid never panned out.

As far as Canes...I will point again to #1 DT in the nation Marcus Forston. I saw him play live 2 times in high school and the kid was the most dominant DT I'd ever seen. I still have no clue why this kid couldn't put it together.

That's not an eval miss... That kid sustained serious injury after serious injury. I too thought he was gonna be a monster in college.

I also thought Wright would be much better then Dorsey... But, 4 different O coords didn't help him..

And I thought Leggett would be the next Moss, and James Bryant would be like Armstead..

That's not an eval miss... That kid sustained serious injury after serious injury. I too thought he was gonna be a monster in college.

I also thought Wright would be much better then Dorsey... But, 4 different O coords didn't help him..

And I thought Leggett would be the next Moss, and James Bryant would be like Armstead..

He wasn't good prior to his injuries either.

Correct. McCoy was always the better player but had a bad injury which led to Coop getting the spotlight.

McCoy broke his ankle during his senior year at Bishop McDevitt, not during his year at Milford. Injury shouldn't have played a role a whole year later, but couldn't really tell you.

Advertisement
for all the stars don't matter crowd, because of this thread I went back to see if there were some 2-3 stars that exceeded expectations and really the only one I could find was Joel Figueroa

The biggest busts in the last 10 years are as follows:
1. Willie Williams. The all world LB couldn't beat out 2-3 star lb's on his team. Poor work ethic to go along with his terrible play.
2. Lance Leggett. Top 5 WR coming out and he was below average. Soft and couldn't catch a cold.
3. Kyle Wright. Consensus top 2 QB coming out of HS. I don't put him #1 on my list due to different OC's he had. Aside from that, he flat out stunk!
4. Arthur Brown. Another top 1-2 LB in the country and he couldn't get on the field.

For me it was Jacory and the type of player he became. I thought he would be an efficient QB that might not win us games on his own but wouldn't cost us games with bad plays. Oops.

Advertisement
Back