Biggest Personal Eval Miss

Greg Cooper was actually ahead of shady McCoy at prep school.......they were both supposed to come here .....wish we got shady instead of Cooper

Not because of talent. Trust me, McCoy was ALWAYS the better player. He broke ankles in high school (until he broke his own) the way he is now in the NFL. There was other things going on that kept Cooper as the starter over McCoy. Using depth charts to justify skills can be fools gold. Look at some of the LBs that played here under Shannon.

Correct. McCoy was always the better player but had a bad injury which led to Coop getting the spotlight.

McCoy broke his ankle during his senior year at Bishop McDevitt, not during his year at Milford. Injury shouldn't have played a role a whole year later, but couldn't really tell you.

2006 - Coming out of high school Lesean McCoy was the #5 rated RB and a 5 star. Graig Cooper coming out of high school was the #75th rated RB and a 3 star.

Halfway thru the season McCoy broke his ankle...a very serious ankle injury that was career threatening. He also did not qualify. They both went to prep. McCoy was still recovering from this serious injury in prep school...during that time the rankings reflected Coop as higher than McCoy. Shady was very limited in his carries that season and he ran tentatively.

2007 rankings had Coop as the #6 rated RB and a 5 star. They had Shady as the #7 rated RB and a 5 star.

These were Scout rankings.

Rivals was similar.

2006 McCoy - 4 star - #6 RB Coop - 3 star #27 RB
2007 McCoy - 4 star - #2 prep RB Coop - 5 star #1 prep RB

Last edited:
Advertisement
Seantrel Henderson, I guess we can add to that list.

Seantrel will be a Pro Bowler.

I agree. Anybody see that Atlanta/San Francisco Monday night game? With Atlanta's O line disaster there's no way Seantrel doesn't start for that team.
Every team in the NFL needs good tackles if not starters, including top teams like Denver.

Seantrel has played since he was a freshman and in 4 years has only given up a handful of sacks. Most of them were coverage sacks. I can't remember seeing him get whipped off the snap.
Every NFL team is going to want him. Maybe not in the first round but definitely after that.

As for busts I'd go with 3 5 star busts. Tyler McMeans, Reggie Youngblood and.....,Kenny Kelly.

Ray Ray Armstrong and Dyron Dye Busts

To go along with this...to be completely honest my biggest personal evaluation miss was easily Andre Debose. The part of the Sanford trio that went to UF...and I was sure that we missed out on the most talented of the 3 with Debose. I was 100% positive that this kid was in fact "The next Percy Harvin". I was wrong...kid never panned out.

As far as Canes...I will point again to #1 DT in the nation Marcus Forston. I saw him play live 2 times in high school and the kid was the most dominant DT I'd ever seen. I still have no clue why this kid couldn't put it together.

That's not an eval miss... That kid sustained serious injury after serious injury. I too thought he was gonna be a monster in college.

I also thought Wright would be much better then Dorsey... But, 4 different O coords didn't help him..

And I thought Leggett would be the next Moss, and James Bryant would be like Armstead..

He wasn't good prior to his injuries either.

He was severely injured before the start of his freshman year....

Man I liked Telemaque, but he went downhill pretty fast and had a non existent senior season.

That was VT's problem. Downhill defender, just never where the ball was. Plus his football IQ was somewhere in the 20's. 3rd and long and he commits pass interference on a check down 10 yards in front of the 1st down marker.

Advertisement
Ray Ray Armstrong and Dyron Dye Busts

To go along with this...to be completely honest my biggest personal evaluation miss was easily Andre Debose. The part of the Sanford trio that went to UF...and I was sure that we missed out on the most talented of the 3 with Debose. I was 100% positive that this kid was in fact "The next Percy Harvin". I was wrong...kid never panned out.

As far as Canes...I will point again to #1 DT in the nation Marcus Forston. I saw him play live 2 times in high school and the kid was the most dominant DT I'd ever seen. I still have no clue why this kid couldn't put it together.

That's not an eval miss... That kid sustained serious injury after serious injury. I too thought he was gonna be a monster in college.

I also thought Wright would be much better then Dorsey... But, 4 different O coords didn't help him..

And I thought Leggett would be the next Moss, and James Bryant would be like Armstead..

He wasn't good prior to his injuries either.

He was severely injured before the start of his freshman year....

When he played he sucked. I don't want to go back to the times he was healthy, but there was one season he played the entirety virtually injury free and he wasn't good. Maybe '11 or '12.

Greg Cooper was actually ahead of shady McCoy at prep school.......they were both supposed to come here .....wish we got shady instead of Cooper

Not because of talent. Trust me, McCoy was ALWAYS the better player. He broke ankles in high school (until he broke his own) the way he is now in the NFL. There was other things going on that kept Cooper as the starter over McCoy. Using depth charts to justify skills can be fools gold. Look at some of the LBs that played here under Shannon.

Correct. McCoy was always the better player but had a bad injury which led to Coop getting the spotlight.

McCoy broke his ankle during his senior year at Bishop McDevitt, not during his year at Milford. Injury shouldn't have played a role a whole year later, but couldn't really tell you.

2006 - Coming out of high school Lesean McCoy was the #5 rated RB and a 5 star. Graig Cooper coming out of high school was the #75th rated RB and a 3 star.

Halfway thru the season McCoy broke his ankle...a very serious ankle injury that was career threatening. He also did not qualify. They both went to prep. McCoy was still recovering from this serious injury in prep school...during that time the rankings reflected Coop as higher than McCoy. Shady was very limited in his carries that season and he ran tentatively.

2007 rankings had Coop as the #6 rated RB and a 5 star. They had Shady as the #7 rated RB and a 5 star.

Rivals was similar.

What's your source on the points I bolded?

I also recall the injury being serious. Of course it will have some lingering effect.

It was clear to most of us who follow recruiting that McCoy was the better back.

Rivals was similar.

It was pretty well-known at that time that some thought that he may never recover. I didn't have a source at the time, but I just googled "Lesean McCoy ankle injury and the first link was this...

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/11/lesean_mccoy_talks_about_caree.html

Good enough?

Advertisement
Storm Johnson. Not sure if Shannon just mishandled him, but man was I excited about that guy. Remember that long td run he had? I thought he would be the ying to Lamar Miller's yang.

Storm Johnson. Not sure if Shannon just mishandled him, but man was I excited about that guy. Remember that long td run he had? I thought he would be the ying to Lamar Miller's yang.

YEA...He got me too lol...
I still think talent wise he was a more talented RB than miller...Just didn't have the work ethic and the mental makeup to be successful here

Rivals was similar.

He had a whole interview about it with E60. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxraBDVn-Go

I still think talent wise he was a more talented RB than miller...Just didn't have the work ethic and the mental makeup to be successful here

Are you guys referring to storm Johnson at ucf? I think it's safe to say he turned out pretty well so I'm not sure how that's a miss

Advertisement

Are you guys referring to storm Johnson at ucf? I think it's safe to say he turned out pretty well so I'm not sure how that's a miss

IMO it is a miss like Arthur Brown. Not a talent evaluation miss, but since they did not produce at the U, we missed on the evaluation of what it would take for that to happen.

Arthur Brown for bust. Leonard Hankerson for player who surprised me. Hank got passed on the depth charts and had major drop Issues at one point at miami.

Advertisement

He ran for 1,015 yards on 193 carries (5.3 ypc) and 11 TD this year for UCF. Really wish we still had him in the backfield with Duke (or when Duke went down), but not really sure he's a talent evaluation miss. I think this thread got off course.

Rivals was similar.

It was well known to all who followed recruiting back then. I live in PA, only a few hours from where McCoy went to high school, so it was very well known around here. There was some concern that he might not return to 100% and not be able to cut and juke they way he did in HS. As we see in the NFL, that is not the case.

The injury did play a huge role in him taking a back seat to Cooper, but there was more than just that. McCoy had a lot of growing up to do, which he did, but it took him a semester. Here's an small portion of an article on Milford:

http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=876282

Chaplick offers similar praise for McCoy and Cooper.

McCoy's rise to stardom at Pittsburgh is particularly impressive because he came to Milford overweight and on crutches as he recovered from an ankle injury. Cooper actually rushed for more than twice as many yards as McCoy at Milford two years ago, though McCoy has developed into the more productive college player.

" 'Coop' came in, and he was healthy, ready to go and hungry," Chaplick said. "He was totally focused ? one of the most focused players I've ever had. He did everything academically and football-wise to get to Miami as fast as he could.

"LeSean had to play catch-up because he was so far behind because of his injury. After about one semester, he bought into everything and realized what he had to do. Most guys could have gone either way. He chose the right path, became a man, went to work and got it done."

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned DeLeon Farr, I just knew that he'd be Bubba Franks part II, **** was I wrong. I was also way the **** off about Rhyan Anderson and Tyler McMeans. We've had our share of disappointments, busts, bursts, and underachievers, but all programs do.

Look at FSU for example...Fred Rouse, Callahan Bright, Myron Rolle, Lamont Green, for the older folks on here to name a few. Hindsight is 20/15 when it comes to evaluations of this kind. For every player that meets the lofty expectations attached to them, there are a dozen guys like Buster Howe, Benjamin ***, Mike D'Andrea, Randy Estes, Ray Williams, Stan Guyness, and Omar Provitt, who was arguably the best WR in his class and the most talented to ever ball in NE Ohio, but never played a single down in college. It's fun topic to discuss, but sad at the same time when you think about he some of these guys don't realize their potential for whatever reason.

Kyle Wright and Youngblood, the tackle from Texas. Walter Payton's son was a pleasant surprise for me. Another player I thought would do well was the RB from Louisiana from a few years ago. I believe he was ranked really high as an all-purpose back. Other than a decent game in the bowl game against Cal, he never amounted to much. I guess Ed Reed and Santana Moss could be two players who greatly exceeded expectations.

Advertisement
Back