Beverly in the portal

Nothing to do with my NIL or donations... has to do with 2019-2021 as a dedicated fan I sat through this:

View attachment 235101

All the slurping as if this never happened and his roster management wasn't largely responsible just irks me (even if he's the best Coach we ever had, and a legend)

So you've given $0, got it. How does our fanbase get stuck with "fans" like this? You're complaining that some end of the bench players are leaving and giving Coach L zero leeway, even after a Final 4 season.

And to top it off you complain about a guy who has given millions to NIL not doing enough, when you havent given a dime to NIL.

Step up and pay Beverly for his NIL rights if you think we cant replace him

Advertisement
So you've given $0, got it. How does our fanbase get stuck with "fans" like this? You're complaining that some end of the bench players are leaving and giving Coach L zero leeway, even after a Final 4 season.

And to top it off you complain about a guy who has given millions to NIL not doing enough, when you havent given a dime to NIL.

Step up and pay Beverly for his NIL rights if you think we cant replace him
I have ALWAYS expressed appreciation and admiration for RUIZ and NEVER ever said one darn thing about him not doing enough. So the "vibrant discussion" is becoming absurd, and back to "oh the Adidas scandal". I don't love Coach L's roster management then or now. That's my opinion and has nothing to do with the recent success or anything else y'all wanna bring up. You can't respect that and discuss honestly...I'm thru with the present discussion, have a nice day.

Criticizing the roster management of the coach who took Miami to the school’s first EVER Elite 8 AND first EVER Final 4, with a resume of 4 sweet 16’s, 2 elite 8’s, and one final 4 in 12 years… STARTING under probation with scholarship reductions and then losing 2 full classes to a literal criminal investigation that zapped every ounce of momentum from a fledgling program with no established history or support… UGH.

The scholarships didn’t get filled because there weren’t ACC level guys who wanted to fill them. That’s it. Then a rash of injuries and further NCAA BS depleted an already short bench leading to a nightmare 3 year stretch. But the chemistry and the camaraderie inside the program stayed positive which allowed the program to rocket to new heights after exoneration from the bogus FBI investigation.

It’s really not complicated… but you’re free to live in imagination land… while you’re there make a big donation to the school’s collective please.

2019-2021 : View attachment 235102

I'm not happy (and expressing my opinion) about his roster management then, and seems maybe again (hope not). Nothing to do with my dedication or my donations.
Coach L, nor any other coach for that matter is above reproach. Coach L deserved some of the criticism a few years ago, with or without the FBI investigation. Don't understand why anyone would want to do it now. To do it coming off the 2 greatest seasons in Miami basketball history is very questionable.

The recruiting landscape has changed. Whether we like it or not, this is the new norm. The way things sit now there will be roster turnover year after year. Doesn't matter if it's because kids are homesick, lack of playing time, NIL, or the new reason going around "mental health", etc. Unless the NCAA changes the rules again, we need to all get use to the fact that there's going to be a lot of roster fluidity from here on out. If the blue bloods are dealing with it what makes you think a program like Miami won't have to?

Let's at least wait until the summer before we start criticizing the roster composition. There are close to 1,500 guys currently sitting in the transfer portal and that number will probably continue to climb. Miami should be able to pluck at least 2 out of the lot to improve the roster. If for nothing else, I think with the last 2 seasons Coach L has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt.

GO CANES!!!

Coach L, nor any other coach for that matter is above reproach. Coach L deserved some of the criticism a few years ago, with or without the FBI investigation. Don't understand why anyone would want to do it now. To do it coming off the 2 greatest seasons in Miami basketball history is very questionable.

The recruiting landscape has changed. Whether we like it or not, this is the new norm. The way things sit now there will be roster turnover year after year. Doesn't matter if it's because kids are homesick, lack of playing time, NIL, or the new reason going around "mental health", etc. Unless the NCAA changes the rules again, we need to all get use to the fact that there's going to be a lot of roster fluidity from here on out. If the blue bloods are dealing with it what makes you think a program like Miami won't have to?

Let's at least wait until the summer before we start criticizing the roster composition. There are close to 1,500 guys currently sitting in the transfer portal and that number will probably continue to climb. Miami should be able to pluck at least 2 out of the lot to improve the roster. If for nothing else, I think with the last 2 seasons Coach L has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt.

GO CANES!!!

Well said… I spoke with an assistant coach about the unused scholarships years ago and I found his explanation to be very compelling… so I might disagree with the criticism but I do agree that nobody is perfect and nobody is beyond reproach.

But to say his roster management is questionable considering we’re now averaging a sweet 16 one out of every 3 years of L’s tenure is… absolutely crazy town.

I remember the days when this board pined for a program that would make the tourney every other year… let alone average a Sweet 16 every three.

Advertisement
Never complained about Ruiz. I appreciate all he’s done for the programme 100%. He was very vocal last year, but as some posters have correctly pointed out he might be subdued by request.

Just observing that it’s been quiet on the transfer front so far. Yes, being in the final four set us back timing wise. There are plenty of options left, albeit some big names are off the table. I’m not concerned though.

If Wong leaves, we are at 8 scholarship players. Nobody wants to go back to the days of Herenton.

Problem is selling PT to every transfer. Not that we’d take 5, but you can see it’s easy to be right back to a spot where kids aren’t playing and look elsewhere.

That’s really the issue with the portal and high school recruiting. If high school recruits feel they’ll just be passed in the depth chart by portal transfers at what point does it impact things?

Last edited:
Anyone that wants to criticize a coach that just took a 'football school' to an Elite Eight and Final Four in back-to-back seasons citing roster mismanagement in the wake of what happened with Adidas deserves to have to root for FSU basketball for the next decade.

I was very vocal in my opinions of Larranaga but he gets a pass from me until the day he retires.

Never complained about Ruiz. I appreciate all he’s done for the programme 100%. He was very vocal last year, but as some posters have correctly pointed out he might be subdued by request.

Just observing that it’s been quiet on the transfer front so far. Yes, being in the final four set us back timing wise. There are plenty of options left, albeit some big names are off the table. I’m not concerned though.

If Wong leaves, we are at 8 scholarship players. Nobody wants to go back to the days of Herenton.

Problem is selling PT to every transfer. Not that we’d take 5, but you can see it’s easy to be right back to a spot where kids aren’t playing and look elsewhere.

That’s really the issue with the portal and high school recruiting. If high school recruits feel they’ll just be passed in the depth chart by portal transfers at what point does it impact things?
It's already happening. Outside of Kentucky and Duke, who continue to stack classes, yet both just bowed out early in the tournament, there's is more of a distribution as far as where top kids are signing for this exact reason.

Advertisement
This isn’t true, from what I’ve heard , the guys leaving want more playing time and coach L wouldn’t guarantee any amount of playing time
That makes the most sense, especially with two fourth year guys leaving. I really don't understand why people make assumptions about NIL. While NIL/money is going to be a factor, these guys want to play ball, especially the two fourth year players. "maybe money $lim right now"? Until there are reports out that Ruiz has missed a payment, please just stop. There have been other schools accused of not paying, Miami has yet to be one of them. If we want to make a championship run, we need to upgrade the roster. I wish these young men luck, and I hope we improve our team for next year and win the natty.

Last edited:
They have meetings. Staff shares what kids need to do to play more and where they stand. Share they are hitting the portal hard. These are business decisions. Good luck. Roster changes will be a net plus.

Advertisement

To be clear, 8 'ship players is counting the incoming Frosh Nwoko if Wong leaves. That's potentially up to 4 transfers needed. No real Center on the team, Nwoko is more of a PF, so I think Coach L needs to pick up two C's, one SF to replace Miller (all we have is Watson) and a SG if Wong leaves.

To be clear, 8 'ship players is counting the incoming Frosh Nwoko if Wong leaves. That's potentially up to 4 transfers needed. No real Center on the team, Nwoko is more of a PF, so I think Coach L needs to pick up two C's, one SF to replace Miller (all we have is Watson) and a SG if Wong leaves.
I think L needs a center, someone to play the 4 and 3, and like you said someone to replace Wong if he leaves. Right now I'd assume the depth chart looks like this.

1-Pack, Joseph
2-Wong, Robinson
3-Wooga, Watson
4-Nwoko
5-Omier, Casey

1681238704624.png

======================================================================================================
...and he missed getting a dance invite 3 of the last 5 years... so what, statistics are really meaningless in this presumed discussion of Coach L's roster management, PT strategy (seniors, etc) ...

The recent 4 exits, especially Beverly, bring up thoughts of the unfilled scholarships and related roster strategies that resulted in the inability to even field a 5 vs 5 practice, and the results showed it for a few years. NOT LONG AGO. Despite many saying wow this is great we have all the openings now to reach championship level next year, I just disagree and remind folks not to get too giddy about it. And I would love to be wrong.

Says nothing about my admiration for Coach L in other areas, and especially his recent success here and his legendary achievements. We shall see. Slurp all you want and I will hope its a real wet and juicy ride to the Final 4 again next season, maybe to the TOP! (Bye, Sir B, will miss u, hopefully not too much)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back