Beverly in the portal

Advertisement
who is beverly and walker
nevermind, didn't realize i was in the basketball forum.
Hide Reaction GIF by flor

Up to 4 scholarships available. We’ve never taken more than 2 players in the portal in one year.

This one stings. Beverly was a solid depth piece and a veteran.

Great job @Gables Canes.

This post brings up a very important point most people have overlooked.

It is highly unlikely Coach L uses all of those available scholarships.
If he did. you would have 5 guys hitting the portal in the real 2024 transfer portal.

4 guys transferring to Last 2 U with immediate eligibility with a high skill level wanting significant playing time is more of a delusion than a reality.

Advertisement
I mentioned right after the Final Four that we'd be making room for kids who can help us make another FF/NC run.

We've "lost" no one.

Miami has never been a more attractive place for a player to come to in our history, we're not ******* around. This is our time. You should all be excited.

The scoring options available at G/SF are pretty stacked in the Portal, even with some of the better options coming off the board in the last couple of days.

We’ll be in a good spot if we can zero in on who we’re going after & lock in with’em.

AJ Storr the Freshman from ST. Johns who we expressed some interest in would actually be a perfect replacement for Bev if we can get to him before Illinois lol
You can bet Storr is looking for a starting opportunity, not a reserve role.

Solid depth piece with experience but his injuries have limited him.

I assume Coach L has a plan and these departures were known to him before they occurred.

See this as an opportunity rather than a loss. Depth will be of concern but it always is.
I'd just leave it at "depth piece." Our "bench," aside from Joseph, really gave us very little all season. Bev had a few nice offensive outbursts for us, was solid on D, but offset that with a larger number of games where he struggled to dent the box score at all.

Advertisement
Transferred to Wichita State.

Bev’s choice was to be a rotational player on a P6 contender type team (in which case he would have stayed at Miami) or transfer to a mid major where he has a chance to be “the guy”.

He was never going to be the guy at Miami… and - if I were coach - I wouldn’t want to rely on somebody with prior low back surgery as more than a piece of the rotation.

Any neurosurgeon will tell you that back surgery has way more potential issues and complications than neck surgery.

Bottom line… he’s a great person and good player who was an important part of this year’s success, but there was no realistic way to keep him on the roster given his desire for a feature role.

Bev’s choice was to be a rotational player on a P6 contender type team (in which case he would have stayed at Miami) or transfer to a mid major where he has a chance to be “the guy”.

He was never going to be the guy at Miami… and - if I were coach - I wouldn’t want to rely on somebody with prior low back surgery as more than a piece of the rotation.

Any neurosurgeon will tell you that back surgery has way more potential issues and complications than neck surgery.

Bottom line… he’s a great person and good player who was an important part of this year’s success, but there was no realistic way to keep him on the roster given his desire for a feature role.
If he's "the guy" at Wichita State (or anywhere else in D1), I'll be very surprised. A starter? Def more chance than staying here. Best of luck to him and an understandable move.

Advertisement

Another way to put it is we can more out of that roster spot in the portal or by taking a kid out of HS to build for the future.

Advertisement
Wong, Pack, Omier, Wooga, Bensley, and 2 high level portal additions is a fantastic core, and then mix in some of the younger recruits as well.

Replacing Miller is borderline impossible, that kid literally was what L called him all year, the most underrated kid in the country. But keeping everyone in the rotation except him and Beverly and adding 2 talented proven kids in the portal would set us up for another big time run. Especially if one of the kids was a big who can run and rebound.

That was fast. Going from Miami to Kansas is... something, but good luck to him.

Wichita's been hot garbage since they fired their abuser head coach and moved to a real conference, would love to know what the appeal there was.

I'd just leave it at "depth piece." Our "bench," aside from Joseph, really gave us very little all season. Bev had a few nice offensive outbursts for us, was solid on D, but offset that with a larger number of games where he struggled to dent the box score at all.
Everything isn’t about the box score. Beverly provided solid D and occasional scoring. He was a steadying influence with the second unit. In a perfect world, he would still be a Cane but I get why he wants to move on. L wants to upgrade the scoring punch he gets from the bench and he has to do that through the portal and develop guys like Casey and Watson.

Jesus you're being insufferable about this.

Also, anyone complaining about NIL needs to show proof of how much they've donated. Literally every D1 school has a Collective or something similar. We apparently though just have posters like @jkdood and @casualcane who complain about Ruiz.
i never ever complained about NIL or Ruiz, not one bit. Quit lying abt it and getting personally offensive. if you cant discuss something honestly and politely maybe read a good book

Advertisement
Back