Beverly in the portal

Yeah I saw that. 10 million is really small potatoes to companies like Life Wallet.

If they're truly in trouble and collapse then we're done. But we've seen lots of companies lose value for whatever reason and then recover. We'll see what happens.
Good point, and I sure hope LW/Ruiz financial woes are much ado about NOTHING!

I also hope Coach L's reluctance to promise playing time to the younger guys and preference for senior players (per TCGrad) is also a lesson learned... that particular roster management style (and injuries of course) led to inability to field a practice squad and 2-3 years of really awful results.

Advertisement
The scoring options available at G/SF are pretty stacked in the Portal, even with some of the better options coming off the board in the last couple of days.

We’ll be in a good spot if we can zero in on who we’re going after & lock in with’em.

AJ Storr the Freshman from ST. Johns who we expressed some interest in would actually be a perfect replacement for Bev if we can get to him before Illinois lol

I’m not convinced there are players stepping up outside of Ruiz. Where were all those additional deals for Wong Ruiz mentioned he’d help him get? Plus John has been exceptionally quiet so far. Maybe he’s lying low, but that’s not his personality.

The fact remains, we’re late to the transfer market thanks to the tourney run, have more misses than (known) targets, Lifewallet’s stock has done poorly and NIL players have caught up nationwide.

I’m not convinced there are players stepping up outside of Ruiz. Where were all those additional deals for Wong Ruiz mentioned he’d help him get? Plus John has been exceptionally quiet so far. Maybe he’s lying low, but that’s not his personality.

The fact remains, we’re late to the transfer market thanks to the tourney run, have more misses than (known) targets, Lifewallet’s stock has done poorly and NIL players have caught up nationwide.

Wong in the last 2 weeks has done instagram ads for like different companies so he has definitely gotten a good amount

I'm really NOT trying to be argumentative. But seems last year Wong wanted more and threatened to leave and Ruiz said no* and there was a lot of drama before Wong stayed...

...* so I quarrel a bit about Ruiz "going to do everything possible"... unless that is just about what funds his ailing company may allocate this year

...but I HOPE you are RIGHT!
How accurate was that Wong threatened to leave? That could have been the media trying to stir up something since the media hates Miami. I'm not trying to pick a fight but there's always two sides to every story.

Advertisement
The budget may not really even be completely stocked by LifeWallet. This budget could be loaded by any person or groups of people.

Miami is a wealthy city and I'm sure that there is enough money and organization to cover if LifeWallet fails. Its a company.

Just make a deal with another one. The money will be there regardless.

Not surprising, but another schollie is now open

Not necessarily. The portal is pretty much about NIL from here on out… and just because a guy goes into the portal doesn’t mean he’s leaving. The first few portal guys were after end of season evals. This is the first of the next wave (hope it’s the first and last but only time will tell).

The budget may not really even be completely stocked by LifeWallet. This budget could be loaded by any person or groups of people.

Miami is a wealthy city and I'm sure that there is enough money and organization to cover if LifeWallet fails. Its a company.

Just make a deal with another one. The money will be there regardless.
1681158692589.png

Advertisement
I'd put all $10MM towards basketball, there is not a single player on the football team worth a dime right now.
Funny you say that, Its some crazy stories out there.. But we did have an all-american put his name in rafters recently..

I get your point overall tho

I refuse to believe that the staff hasn't been back-channeling, even during our run. There is a ton of talent in the portal right now (and more hopping in daily), so I'm fine being selective and don't settle.

Everyone of these losses has been a surprise to me besides Walker.

We have our work cut out for us to be as deep as we were last year…
Shouldn't be a surprise. Beverly got limited minutes, but probably expected more considering he was the highest rated prospect on the roster. Danilo and Aire just didn't seem to be cutting it and not sure how much PT they were going to get next season. Walker has had 4 years to figure things out and it really hasn't happened. I think all 4 guys were either told to look elsewhere or have pretty much have seen the writing on the walls. The only guy on this season's roster leaving who we may find hard to replace is Jordan Miller. Those other guys won't be hard to replace.

Advertisement
Shouldn't be a surprise. Beverly got limited minutes, but probably expected more considering he was the highest rated prospect on the roster. Danilo and Aire just didn't seem to be cutting it and not sure how much PT they were going to get next season. Walker has had 4 years to figure things out and it really hasn't happened. I think all 4 guys were either told to look elsewhere or have pretty much have seen the writing on the walls. The only guy on this season's roster leaving who we may find hard to replace is Jordan Miller. Those other guys won't be hard to replace.
From all the press out there seems Beverly actually has 2 years of eligibility left. His NIL worth seems to be abt $11,000. As a 7th man, he is pretty **** good and might have still been improving as his back injury heals more. I hope you are right he is easy to replace; I don't see anyone in the portal coming here to be a 7th man with limited PT nor big NIL to incentivize him. Glad we seem to have a great strength and conditioning program, the low injury rate helped a lot last season, knock on (hard)wood.

From all the press out there seems Beverly actually has 2 years of eligibility left. His NIL worth seems to be abt $11,000. As a 7th man, he is pretty **** good and might have still been improving as his back injury heals more. I hope you are right he is easy to replace; I don't see anyone in the portal coming here to be a 7th man with limited PT nor big NIL to incentivize him. Glad we seem to have a great strength and conditioning program, the low injury rate helped a lot last season, knock on (hard)wood.
I hear ya. Great point on him being a talented 7th man on the depth chart last season. However, in looking at next year's roster there's a chance Beverly would've been a starter or at the very least the 1st guy off the bench. I could be wrong but I think he's replaceable because there are a bunch of guys currently in the portal who are just as talented or better than Beverly that can come to Miami and take his minutes. Hate that Beverly has had back issues. Would've been interesting to see his development had he not had to deal with the injury.

I'm shocked at all the praise. Personally thought he wasn't anywhere near top-8 material. When he and Walker came into the game, it was more of praying they wouldn't f up rather than expecting them to do something productive.

We're getting MUCH Better players. Actually competent backups - need to improve, not just rest on laurels.
Yeah it was a lot of “I hope we survive these next ____ minutes without Omier and Wong”. If we want to beat a team like UConn we better bring guys off the bench like Calcaterra (spelling) and Alleyne (spelling) and Clingan (spelling). Those guys came and played very well and will be the next line of players for UConn in 1-2 seasons.
Our starting 5 was really good but the argument that we went 8 deep was fool’s gold. Even Joseph was 6th man as hit and miss. We need a guard out of the portal, and we need Casey, Watson and hopefully Nwoko to provide front Court depth with meaningful, productive minutes. Not hold your breath minutes.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This is why you shouldn't post.

The other deals that Wong got...they exist...they have just not been publicized.

As for your opinion's on Mr. Ruiz's personality, he is remaining quiet because that's what UM wants, in light of the NCAA nonsense.

Name a single "NIL player" that has caught up to Miami and LifeWallet. I'll wait...

Yeah it was a lot of “I hope we survive these next ____ minutes ... Not hold your breath minutes.
I confess I held my breath more during Wong's 6 awful games ( 9 for 61) and four times 4 turnovers. I was happy too see Sir B enter the game then.

Of course Wong was ACC Player of the Year, so must have done some good things too, lol. Maybe its an expectations thing, this breath-holding?

Advertisement
Back