Betting line set at 8.5 wins

Advertisement
We had the lead in those games but given that they were close, lets say he should’ve had 8 wins. The current number is 8.5. Are you saying you don’t expect a 1 game improvement?

If you look at 247 College team which judges talent based off cumulative grades we have more talent then UNC by a lot. 45 4stars, UNC has 27. UNC lost a great college qb and will start a freshman and outside of Downs, they are lacking big time at WR.
I watched the spring game and heard one of their beat reporters say they expect a regression. And it’s not like they were good last year
I expect 8-4 and a bowl win to get us to 9. Everyone on this board knows this. But we’ve won 2 bowl games in these recruits lifetimes. None of them being big ones. Anything over 8 regular season wins with away games @ Texas A&M, Clemson, Virginia, and Virginia Tech is a great year one

100%. If people are going to play the "a couple of bad bounces from X wins" game, they should be honest and note we were also a couple of "bad bounces" away from a 3 or 4 win season. We beat App State by a **** safety on one of the worst long snaps I have ever witnessed. Be beat NC State by 1 point (we were down late and they were at midfield after we took the lead). GT by a field goal (GT was up late). Even Pitt, we only beat by 4 and Pickett was driving in the 4th but threw a pick in near our endzone.
Yes, but the original discussion was that we don’t have the “Jimmy’s and Joe’s”. Just us being in the close game, win or loss, lets us know we do have the talent on the roster to easily compete with our conference.

Unless you’re going to surrender that it was Manny’s masterful coaching that helped us stay in those games where our rosters were inferior….

If we had the Jimmy and Joes to win 7 last year, it’s far from unreasonable to feel as though we win 9 this year. We didn’t lose anyone of importance besides maybe Rambo and literally everything else in the program improved, including the roster with transfers + guys getting 1 more year older.

Yes, but the original discussion was that we don’t have the “Jimmy’s and Joe’s”. Just us being in the close game, win or loss, lets us know we do have the talent on the roster to easily compete with our conference.

Unless you’re going to surrender that it was Manny’s masterful coaching that helped us stay in those games where our rosters were inferior….

If we had the Jimmy and Joes to win 7 last year, it’s far from unreasonable to feel as though we win 9 this year. We didn’t lose anyone of importance besides maybe Rambo and literally everything else in the program improved, including the roster with transfers + guys getting 1 more year older.
The gap between the talent level we have compared to the coastal isn’t as big as you think. You have to recruit like Ohio state, Clemson, Bama, and Georgia for the talent level argument to really apply. That’s why those teams rarely lose to lesser opponents. Everyone else in the country does because the talent gap isn’t that much. You would think after 15 years of us having more talent than the coastal the fanbase would get this but here we are in 2022.

Advertisement
IMO we'll win one we aren't supposed to win - but we'll drop 2 we are supposed to win
this is an 8 to 9 win team rn

Just a bust of a season. IMO There should be no honeymoon. Clearly everything Mario has done has been incredible. Coaching hires, booster involvement, portal and future facility upgrades. My point is this team has a lot going for it and if the coaching staff is as legit, we should win 10.
I think we definitely can win 10 games but I don't see the should yet. I also don't see a 9-3 regular season as a bust.

We still need our WRs to live up to their potential, we need TVD to play to his potential and need him to stop coming out the gate flat footed, the CBs to play as well as they did in the spring game, and we need our Oline to look like they did in the spring game. There still isn't enough proof to say, once the bullets start flying this team will not stumble. Both Miami and Mario are known for losing at least one game a season that they shouldn't (hopefully his tenure at Miami shows differently).

We still need a couple of years to continuously stack talent before we can say 10 wins or bust. A 10-2 season puts us is a playoff discussion and I don't see this team as a playoff ready team. Give Mario a chance before calling him a total failure if he doesn't live up to unreasonable expectations.

The gap between the talent level we have compared to the coastal isn’t as big as you think. You have to recruit like Ohio state, Clemson, Bama, and Georgia for the talent level argument to really apply. That’s why those teams rarely lose to lesser opponents. Everyone else in the country does because the talent gap isn’t that much. You would think after 15 years of us having more talent than the coastal the fanbase would get this but here we are in 2022.
LOL you’re the one who brought it up with UNC

LOL you’re the one who brought it up with UNC
UNC just burst onto the scene. Prior to Mac’s hiring they weren’t recruiting like this minus Butch’s run. UNC and UM on paper have more talent than the rest of the coastal. Both teams haven’t done a thing with that talent because the gap isn’t as big as it needs to be to just flat out, out talent people. We just had one player drafted in the 7th round. It’s only up from here

Advertisement
Coincidentally in those same 15 years we also had TERRIBLE coaching which led to players being underutilized, underdeveloped and put in terrible positions to perform. 2 first time EVER head coaches and Al golden. The one coach we had with even a decent amount of pedigree had that same “not that much more talented team” as #2 in the country and going to the ACC championship game…. With Malik Rosier….. we are making the ACC sound so much harder than it actually is.

Coincidentally in those same 15 years we also had TERRIBLE coaching which led to players being underutilized, underdeveloped and put in terrible positions to perform. 2 first time EVER head coaches and Al golden. The one coach we had with even a decent amount of pedigree had that same “not that much more talented team” as #2 in the country and going to the ACC championship game…. With Malik Rosier….. we are making the ACC sound so much harder than it actually is.
Outside of Clemson our biggest threat in the ACC was Pitt ... who just lost their top WR.

Outside of Clemson our biggest threat in the ACC was Pitt ... who just lost their top WR.
Exactly.

And I’m not gonna make any brash statements about us VS Clemson but it’s absolutely not “nothing” that they lost their OC & DC this off-season. Vernables is CERTIFIED. That’s gotta count for something. Also their QB situation is beyond questionable.

Clemson is far from 2018. That’s all I’ll say.

I don’t but the J&J’s argument. We play in the coastal, not the SEC West. Manny was a fluke 4th and 23, a tipped pass and a missed 20 yard FG away from 10 wins last year and we all know what kind of coach he was. So that makes think our “joes” made Manny garbage coaching look a whole lot better than it was. Now add the Bryles award winner as the OC , Steel and a coaching staff that grew in talent and size.
If you're going to make the bolded argument for loses you have to make the same argument for the wins.

Remember App State? We won because we hit a 43 yd field goal and had to rely on them dropping a pass on 3rd down to secure the win. If they catch the 3&6th pass they were within a few yards of field goal range with 1 minute left to play with 2 timeouts left. But we forget that because the receiver dropped it even though it hit him in the gut.

What about NC State? We won that game because Kam Kinchens knows how to tackle. He literally made the game winning open field tackle.

GT we were an overturned call from them marching down the field and potentially tying with a field goal.

Finally we had Pitt. An interception from big # 0 from a terribly thrown pass, a lucky non safety call, and another lucky bounce from the Mallory fumble is the only reason we won.

For as many "bro, we were 3 games from being a 10 win team with trash *** ***** Miaz." We were equally as close to a 3 win team as well.

Advertisement
If you're going to make the bolded argument for loses you have to make the same argument for the wins.

Remember App State? We won because we hit a 43 yd field goal and had to rely on them dropping a pass on 3rd down to secure the win. If they catch the 3&6th pass they were within a few yards of field goal range with 1 minute left to play with 2 timeouts left. But we forget that because the receiver dropped it even though it hit him in the gut.

What about NC State? We won that game because Kam Kinchens knows how to tackle. He literally made the game winning open field tackle.

GT we were an overturned call from them marching down the field and potentially tying with a field goal.

Finally we had Pitt. An interception from big # 0 from a terribly thrown pass, a lucky non safety call, and another lucky bounce from the Mallory fumble is the only reason we won.

For as many "bro, we were 3 games from being a 10 win team with trash *** ***** Miaz." We were equally as close to a 3 win team as well.
We were equally as close to 3 wins, which is why we fired Manny and got a real coaching staff in here. The difference between good coaching and bad coaching is those tough wins should be easier and those close losses might just become wins.

Even if we lost all the games in those win scenarios you stated, we could still look and say we had the TALENT to win those games. The problem was coaching, which we addressed.

Oh and we got more talent by the way as well.

I don’t think the people here understand, we don’t see 9/10 wins because we think our team is Georgia or Alabama talented. We see that because the ACC absolutely sucks. There are no elite teams and there are barely good teams.

ACC went 2-4 in bowl games this last bowl season and the 2 wins were #19 Clemson over unranked Iowa state. And #17 Wake over unranked Rutgers.

Every team in the coastal took at least 6(SIX!!!) losses last year except us and Pitt. And we beat Pitt.

Advertisement
We were equally as close to 3 wins, which is why we fired Manny and got a real coaching staff in here. The difference between good coaching and bad coaching is those tough wins should be easier and those close losses might just become wins.

Even if we lost all the games in those win scenarios you stated, we could still look and say we had the TALENT to win those games. The problem was coaching, which we addressed.

Oh and we got more talent by the way as well.
I agree with that completely. However, coaching and development usually take more than 8 months to have a 4 star recruit live up to their potential. There are definitely quick learners and others that will be good regardless of poor coaching. It's also hard to know if the current coaches need to have a lot of our talent unlearn bad coaching and relearn the fundamentals. That can also affect it as well.

My argument is the talent is there but we need time for Mario and staff to coach them up. Development is exactly that. It's usually slow and steady growth and less one season switches. We need more Greg Rousseaus, KJ Osborns, and Travis Homers and less Mark Popes, Gurvan Halls, and Bubba Boldens. Rarely (I can't think of any examples currently) has anyone seen an off-season turn aroun from 7-5 to 10-2.

Good coaching is more likely to produce 1 maybe 2 wins. If we win 10 it's due to a lot of luck similar to 2017.

I’m curious to see with this NIL what the players bring to the field on game day. Absolutely they should win 9 games and with this staff I’d take that bet. That half game hook could be the betters nightmare.

I agree with that completely. However, coaching and development usually take more than 8 months to have a 4 star recruit live up to their potential. There are definitely quick learners and others that will be good regardless of poor coaching. It's also hard to know if the current coaches need to have a lot of our talent unlearn bad coaching and relearn the fundamentals. That can also affect it as well.

My argument is the talent is there but we need time for Mario and staff to coach them up. Development is exactly that. It's usually slow and steady growth and less one season switches. We need more Greg Rousseaus, KJ Osborns, and Travis Homers and less Mark Popes, Gurvan Halls, and Bubba Boldens. Rarely (I can't think of any examples currently) has anyone seen an off-season turn aroun from 7-5 to 10-2.

Good coaching is more likely to produce 1 maybe 2 wins. If we win 10 it's due to a lot of luck similar to 2017.
Absolutely good points. I think we’re lucky in that a lot of our best players are still extremely young. Development will take time though. I think the coaching difference will come in scheme, philosophy and experience however.

There were plenty of times in those games where we could have taken control by continuing to run offense, but instead we decided to run the ball up the middle for 1 yard 3 times in a row. Or we ran the clock out before half in situations where just getting 3 points could’ve been back breaking.

Luck is always involved when we discuss such a high level of success but I think our coaching decisions will put us in a place to take full advantage of every opportunity.

Exactly.

And I’m not gonna make any brash statements about us VS Clemson but it’s absolutely not “nothing” that they lost their OC & DC this off-season. Vernables is CERTIFIED. That’s gotta count for something. Also their QB situation is beyond questionable.

Clemson is far from 2018. That’s all I’ll say.
Agree .. but they're still a more formidable opponent that FSU or Virginia. They do have roster talent.

Advertisement
Back